PDA

View Full Version : What is actually needed?

JamesR
12th September 2011, 13:49
To start off doing some small clubman rally's? The type they run on old airstrips and army camps etc?

Obviously things like in date FIA roll cage / Seats / harness'

But what else? Fire extinguishers? I can't be bothered reading through the whole "blue book", was hoping someone on here would have an idea of what is needed, and what modifications are allowed for say the 1400cc class?

mark1311
12th September 2011, 14:27
braided fuel line, dry brake sample kit,
brake lines ran though car copper or braided
plumb in and hand held fire extinguisher
MSA spil kit
kill switch, ideali be opertated by driver and co driver,
fire extinguisher pull cord ideali operated by driver and co driver
also both need to be on out side of car with stickers most do it on bulk head.

JamesR
12th September 2011, 17:01
That all? It's a lot less than i had expected tbh - I thought it would of been a mine field, guessing it probably is though?

mark1311
12th September 2011, 17:25
erm might be other things was off top my head, its not as bad as people make out getting it log booked tbh.

defo would look at strenthening chassis and seam welding it for rallying. engine wise best staying N/A for any comps reali.

JamesR
12th September 2011, 17:30
erm might be other things was off top my head, its not as bad as people make out getting it log booked tbh.

defo would look at strenthening chassis and seam welding it for rallying. engine wise best staying N/A for any comps reali.

What do you mean by N/A? Obviously not Turbo or Supercharger

But I thought you could fit cams, performance exhausts, induction mods, even throttle bodies and still stay in the same class? What about lightened panels?

blackie_2k5
12th September 2011, 17:32
its the lprice that normally puts ppl off tbh

mark1311
12th September 2011, 17:39
also thts just what u need for car, need all fire proof clothing and race wear and race licence.

stuart-h
16th September 2011, 07:34
Harness need to be in date.

mark1311
16th September 2011, 14:52
sump and fuel tank graud aswell.

stuart-h
16th September 2011, 17:23
I'd also check the regs to see weather you have to run a hans device or not.

Mochachino
16th September 2011, 19:00
Autotesting

Autotesting is an even cheaper way to get into Motorsport and is perfect for improving and learning you driving skills. All an autotest is, a race against a clock around a course made up of markers/cones and last about 2 minutes. The course could involve manourves such as hand brake turns, 360 spins, reverse spins and a host of other driving skills. Events can be held in car parks, to fields and cost anywhere from £5-£30 to enter. Anything from a standard road car can be used to a custom built mini special ( mini chassis with no roof) for Autotesting. Penalities are incurred for performing the wrong test and clipping markers and line faults.
Autotest : Is where you have a set course and its just you, your car and the clock.
Autosolo is the same as an autotest but just included forward motion, no reverse
Production Car Autotest: Same as a normal autotest, but you are allowed a passenger with you and all cars must be standard production, so no special built jobs.

http://www.msa-autotest.org.uk/howto.htm

axsaxoman
18th September 2011, 10:13
braided fuel line, dry brake sample kit,
brake lines ran though car copper or braided
plumb in and hand held fire extinguisher
MSA spil kit
kill switch, ideali be opertated by driver and co driver,
fire extinguisher pull cord ideali operated by driver and co driver
also both need to be on out side of car with stickers most do it on bulk head.

braided lines are not mandatory ,but i think you will find engine +petrol tank sump gaurds are , as are full harnesses .
best advice is ask for the regulations for the type of events you intend to do ,as some clubs may not require same spec as others,depending on which class you entry .
if its single stage events the first and best performance mods will be c/r g/box + lsd + bigger front brakes -- leave engine mods till later
there are single stage events where you will need anything like 140mph top speed and acceleration + braking is everything in stage rallying of any sort.
there are no cit/pug std gearbox ratios that come even close to giving you the correct rastios you will need ,so don,t waste money on looking for rallyes g/boxs etc ,eitehr accept the std rsatios are never going to be right or get a c/r gerar kit + lowest dif ratio you can anything over 110mph at max rpm will be overgeared for best performance--no matter what engine tuning you do

axsaxoman
18th September 2011, 10:19
I can't be bothered reading through the whole "blue book", was hoping someone on here would have an idea of what is needed, and what modifications are allowed for say the 1400cc class?

fi you can,t be bothered reading the blue book --then you are not serious .
to turn up at an event and fail scutineering is stupid at best and you will have wasted your entry fee . the saftey regs are there for your protection -- performance mods allowed will be in the "regs" for the class you intend to enter.you will find them on line at the website of the champoinship you intend to join