PDA

View Full Version : decat MOT help

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 19:52
i still have the full standard exhaust system in the garden stashed away, but i dont want to have to put my standard manifold back on.

currently i have a raceland 421 and a full supersprint racetube with backbox.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=114063

if i buy this and use it to replace my supersprint tube for the mot will it fit correctly?

OR if i buy a cat only, will i be able to use the standard pipe i already have?

really confused :wall:

devilsadvocate
18th April 2012, 20:02
Can you not use your standard exhaust with the Raceland mani then?

I had a standard mani with an aftermarket exhaust so assumed it would be ok the other way round?

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 20:06
Can you not use your standard exhaust with the Raceland mani then?

I had a standard mani with an aftermarket exhaust so assumed it would be ok the other way round?

well i could yes, but my car is an 02 plate with the cat in the manifold.

so the exhaust i have doesnt have a cat under the car like mk1s and apparently all VTS

so i have to go and buy a pipe under the car with cat, or maybe just cat and use the pipe i have.

not sure :@

Prickle
18th April 2012, 20:08
save yourself money, put everything standard back on, mot and be happy for another year.

Srsly if you have everything standard to put back on, why waste money? take mani off, pull the rest of the system out in one. Top job.

devilsadvocate
18th April 2012, 20:12
well i could yes, but my car is an 02 plate with the cat in the manifold.

so the exhaust i have doesnt have a cat under the car like mk1s and apparently all VTS

so i have to go and buy a pipe under the car with cat, or maybe just cat and use the pipe i have.

not sure :@

Ahhh didn't think about the CAT in the mani one!

Can you not just get a Mk1 (or VTS) CAT and use that instead?

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 20:13
save yourself money, put everything standard back on, mot and be happy for another year.

Srsly if you have everything standard to put back on, why waste money? take mani off, pull the rest of the system out in one. Top job.

ball ache, plus not sure if it would go back on as the oil filter is now on the block, so i guess the standard mani cat wont go back on.

easier to weight what i have in and just get an under the car on, just not sure if the link i posted is the right one :p

Prickle
18th April 2012, 20:20
Would a lambda sensor reach underneath seeing as they're in the manis? or can you extend them or what?

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 20:40
fuck knows, thats why im so confused, sleeving it would work, no?

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:42
I'm set to be in the same situation as yourself and my theory was this....
Keep the performance 4-1/4-2-1 manifold on
Buy a VTS undercar CAT and full system
Swap your manifold back system, for the CAT system come MOT time
Sleeve the second lambda, never needs plugging back in

Agreed?

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 20:46
excuse me mr tester, as you can see my car doesnt have a catalytic converter. it might be obvious that i am a car enthusiast, and not a secret spy sent out by vosa to inspect you, srs.

would it be possible to accidently trip over the emissions probe once its been inserted into my tail pipe?

it works.

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 20:47
I'm set to be in the same situation as yourself and my theory was this....
Keep the performance 4-1/4-2-1 manifold on
Buy a VTS undercar CAT and full system
Swap your manifold back system, for the CAT system come MOT time
Sleeve the second lambda, never needs plugging back in

Agreed?

yes but the full systems seem to be a few hundred quid!

which is why im confused as to the link i have posted whether it will work or not lol.

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:49
excuse me mr tester, as you can see my car doesnt have a catalytic converter. it might be obvious that i am a car enthusiast, and not a secret spy sent out by vosa to inspect you, srs.

would it be possible to accidently trip over the emissions probe once its been inserted into my tail pipe?

it works.

^^^ This sounds like perfect advice! - Clumsy coming through!

yes but the full systems seem to be a few hundred quid!

which is why im confused as to the link i have posted whether it will work or not lol.

A full VTS system?
Really?
I couldn't follow your link strangely....

Heftydanielson
18th April 2012, 20:49

it works.

You should of done my mot.

The fuckers failed me on .1 on the fuck emissions. :/

devilsadvocate
18th April 2012, 20:52
I got a full VTS system sitting in the loft ready for my MOT, could have borrowed it if you were closer :)

For the sake of £50 or so for the standard system (2nd hand), its worth keeping one in the loft/garage/shed for MOT time.

Your only options really are:

1. Get a Mk1 (or VTS) system.
2. Stick your standard mani back on.
3. Give the MOT tester a BJ.

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:54
I got a full VTS system sitting in the loft ready for my MOT, could have borrowed it if you were closer :)

For the sake of £50 or so for the standard system (2nd hand), its worth keeping one in the loft/garage/shed for MOT time.

Your only options really are:

1. Get a Mk1 (or VTS) system.
2. Stick your standard mani back on.
3. Give the MOT tester a BJ.

That's the price I was thinking! About £50!
And that means option 1 for me....

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 20:55
You should of done my mot.

The fuckers failed me on .1 on the fuck emissions. :/

a large McDonalds Coke solves all emissions problems :oops:

mlawlan69
18th April 2012, 20:56
yeah im definately going to get a mk1 system ha, just on that website i have linked there is a cat and pipe for £45 !

it's for a 98 mk1 however if this would make a difference?

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:56
a large McDonalds Coke solves all emissions problems :oops:

So some rola cola and ice?

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:57
yeah im definately going to get a mk1 system ha, just on that website i have linked there is a cat and pipe for £45 !

any mk1 vts cat system should surely work - pm mandyslover?

devilsadvocate
18th April 2012, 20:57

That's what you want mate, a Mk1 VTR exhaust + cat

Or any form of VTS as they had the CAT under the car for both Mk1 and Mk2

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 20:59
So some rola cola and ice?

meh anything will do.
pref something that will keep me occupied for 45 minutes whilst i "do the test"

dolby20
18th April 2012, 20:59
meh anything will do.
pref something that will keep me occupied for 45 minutes whilst i "do the test"

if only you were nearer and my game boy colour had some batteries.... if only

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 21:06
if only you were nearer and my game boy colour had some batteries.... if only

pop it in the post, along with your log book and some munnehz!
ill return it next day with no munnehz and a pass.

although, id keep an eye on that tyre thats getting low, and the sticky boot lock...advisorys always suck.

dolby20
18th April 2012, 21:07
pop it in the post, along with your log book and some munnehz!
ill return it next day with no munnehz and a pass.

although, id keep an eye on that tyre thats getting low, and the sticky boot lock...advisorys always suck.

I shall send no games, out of spite for the advisories.

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 21:11
I shall send no games, out of spite for the advisories.

i have the camera and printer thats compatable with the GB colour!

THIS SHIT ROCKS!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lys7xnRWGW1qz5gm9o1_500.png

dolby20
18th April 2012, 21:13
i have the camera and printer thats compatable with the GB colour!

THIS SHIT ROCKS!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lys7xnRWGW1qz5gm9o1_500.png

Ho.
Lee.
Shit.

SteveWC
18th April 2012, 21:16
ball ache, plus not sure if it would go back on as the oil filter is now on the block, so i guess the standard mani cat wont go back on.

easier to weight what i have in and just get an under the car on, just not sure if the link i posted is the right one :p

This was my idea.

Ended up pissing away £250 on exhausts and CATs, bought a GMC lambda sleeve, and could never get it to pass emissions test.

Ended up refitting the standard manifold, refitting the mk2 oil filter (actually easier than I thought), and spending another £100 on a new manifold CAT, and wasted about 3 weeks with my car off the road with no MOT.

The problem with it all will be that the Lambdas will never be happy and give a good reading.

I now have a Raceland 4-1, which has a lambda port right at the top next to the cylinder, which I'm running a brand new Bosch in, and another Lambda port further down which I've got my second Bosch plug in on the end of an extender so it only gets a tiny bit of gas reading.

This setup seems to work really well, and I think it would probably pass an MOT if not for the new law that if it had a cat one had to be visible, this is where the dummy cat comes in but thats another matter :y:

Tontsy
18th April 2012, 21:22
Ho.
Lee.
Shit.

new thread needed! appreciation thread for retro games FTMFW!