PDA

View Full Version : increasing bhp on VTR

Dan
29th January 2004, 08:59
Hey, Im currently looking to get the following engine mods for my VTR and was wanting some advice on them like what power gain I'd get from them all and if there worth getting?

*Custom full exhaust system with sports cat

*GMC motorsport 4-2-1 manifold

*GMC motorsport fuel pressure regulator (4.5bar)

*Piper/Kent cam kit (not sure which is best?)

*Dastek uni chip

I already have a pipercross induction kit. any help would be great. I dont want to go down the VTS conversion road. I will be looking to get a turbo conversion for it in the future and when i have the money for one!!! Any advice or opinions would be very helpful!!

Dan
2nd February 2004, 09:08
anyone wanna give me some advice or not????please??

Deano1983
2nd February 2004, 14:55
Change ur air filter!! Get a Green enclosed!!

DunnyVTR
2nd February 2004, 17:01
Get yourself a BMC filter with the 4 2 1 manifold and custom exhaust but leave the cat in as you gain more torque. If you can afford.

Deano1983
2nd February 2004, 17:06
Yer if u can afford it get the BMC but if not get the green enclosed!! And deffinetly get a custom exhaust they r class!!

Dan
7th February 2004, 09:00
Yeah cheers guys think i will change the air filter. Which cams should i go for piper or kent??could u also give me a rough idea of what bhp gain i would get from these mods???

Ripper3
8th February 2004, 03:56
W/an air filter and exhaust u should get roughly 10bhp
A chip doesnt give much more power on a naturally aspirated car like a Saxo
Im not sure abou the power gain while usin the other mods tho, ull have to find that out from some1 else

chalkie
9th February 2004, 03:26
with those mods u should be looking at a gain of up to 15-20 brake

Deano1983
9th February 2004, 18:55
U'l be lookin to get around 10, if u get more than that ull be lucky!!

Dan
10th February 2004, 09:19
what off all those mods together???? surely ud get more than that!!!! on the piper cam site it says there cam will give an extra 8 bhp alone!!! and u should get an increase from a custom exhaust!!plus around 8bhp from the dastek!!!

or were u just talking bout the cams and filter??

Deano1983
10th February 2004, 19:40
Oh sorry i was talkin bout the filter and the custom exhaust 2gether increasin it by 10 not wiv all of them, but to get 10bhp outa them u'l have to have very very gud air flow to the filter or get a green enclosed where u shud get 5bhp outta the filter alone!!

Dan
11th February 2004, 09:09
yeah i was gonna say!!!! will defo look into the new air filter!!! cheers for the help though!!!!! do u have a custom exhaust on ur VTR???? if so how much was it and where did u get it from???

Deano1983
11th February 2004, 14:13
At the minute ave only got a custom twin 3.5" Back Box, but am gonna change it to full system and another back box so i have 4 exit pipes which i'l b doin within the next 6months and will cost around £345 for the other back box the rest of the system and the link pipe between the two back boxs.But i wud say if ur gonna get a single "4 inch back box and full system u'l be lookin around £325ish. If u want a price ASCAR (http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk) these a ring its where i had mine done they r rated as one of the best by Max Power!! Hope this helps!!

Dan
12th February 2004, 07:58
yeah cheers deano big help!!! i didnt no whether to go to powerflow for one??? do u no if powerflow are any good or are they expensive?? they were my 1st option as i have one close to where i live!!

Deano1983
12th February 2004, 15:57
Think they r ment to be gud ask GreenSaxo as think hes got one,not sure about the price though mate!! smileys/smiley4.gif

Enbwo
13th February 2004, 02:17
yeah powerflow are good. Fairly expensive but they all will be. You pay for what you get.

Dan
13th February 2004, 09:54
yeah i suppose thats true!!!! i guess i'll have to ring around!!!! thanks for the help though!!! do u agree with getting a sports cat or would u get it de- catted?? i just dont want it failing it MOT.

Deano1983
13th February 2004, 13:51
Wel if u get it de-cat it makes abig difference but at the same time it will not pass its MOT which means everytime u r gonna go in for ur MOT u will have to put the CAT back on till after!! And as for sports CAT's the bloke where i had it done said to be honest it dont make any difference so i wud say if ur willin to keep changin between CAT and de-cat then do that if not keep the normal one!!! smileys/smiley14.gif

Enbwo
13th February 2004, 17:09
people may say that you don't notice the difference with a sports CAT but then you don't really notice the difference with just an induction kit(apart from the sound). It does free up a few more horses which will add up in the end just like any other mods.

No individual mod will make a massive differnce to performance apatr from superchargers and turbochargers and stuff, but when combining several mods to work together you will notice the difference.

Deano1983
13th February 2004, 19:06
I agree, but put on a sports Cat will set u back alot compare wiv other mods u can do for alot cheaper, so my advise wud be de-cat if u want the hassle if not have normal cat on and get mods like enclosed ainduction kit, better spark plugs, then maybe go for sports cat but make sure after u have done quite a few mods that u get the computer retuned as ur fuel consuption will be out and it will not be using the mods correctly!!

Enbwo
14th February 2004, 04:54
yea because all your mods will increase the air in and out of the engine but not increase the fuel. Bets to maintain a similar fuel to air ratio.

D@v1
14th February 2004, 05:50
How much difference do the spark plugs do? from standard ones to which ones would you recomend?

Enbwo
14th February 2004, 06:06
They are only any use if the originals are worn or if its a seriously tuned engine so that optimal efficiency is required. Not sure which ones are best

Dan
14th February 2004, 06:52
ok i guess i'll have to think bout it then!!! cheers for the help though!!!! dont think i could be arsed with changing everytime i need it mot'ing!!!! does it cost alot to change it every time u need to do it???

Enbwo
14th February 2004, 15:38
probably 30 odd quid. Unless you do it yourself

Dan
15th February 2004, 08:41
nah i dont trust my self doin any work on my car!!! plus i dont have much patience!!!! its not too bad tho!!!! is that to have it put on and then another 30 quid to take it off again??

Enbwo
15th February 2004, 16:04
yeah 30 quid to put it on. Then prob same again afterwards to put the replacement back on. Not worth the hassle. For 60 quid a year you can spend it on something to make up for the power the cat replacement would give you.

Dan
15th February 2004, 17:35
yeah i suppose and i really couldnt be arsed with the hassle of doing it every year!!! u dont no anywhere on the net that sells chrome alloys do you???i cant find them anywhere!!!

Dan
20th February 2004, 11:08
anyone no a site that sells them (chrome wheels) i found a site the other day but cant find it again!!!!