PDA

View Full Version : Changing Rear Drums to Discs!!!!

Dave_J
16th February 2004, 21:58
I have drums on the back and am getting discs off a VTS. Does anybody know how hard it is to transfer or is it relatively easy or what??

supersav
17th February 2004, 00:07
not a problem. what i did was to get the complete rear axle assembly, undo the brake lines, then it's just the 4 bolts to undo thewhole thing.

what also might work is if you get the two trailing arms and just swap them. not so sure you can do this and you'd have to be VERY carefull not to mash up the bearings and seals in the arms.

what exactly are you getting?
Pete.

Jason
17th February 2004, 21:53
When you changed the back axle from drums to discs did you need the hand brake cable off the disc brake car that you got it off, or did the original one on your car fit with it alright? I'm doin it myself and am in the proccess of looking for a disc brake back axle and once i find one i'm goin straight at it.

supersav
17th February 2004, 22:57
i had to use the vtr cables and use some tubing as spacers cos the bracket that holds the outers was in the wrong place. try pankhursts on 0800 587 4460. i think i paid around £150 delivered to my home, and for that i got calipers, torsion bars, bias adjuster......the lot, all in one assy.

good luck.

pete

Jason
18th February 2004, 15:08
Cheers for the advice pete. Ya i had heard of them and how you could get a back axle from them no bother but the only thing is is that i am living in ireland and i dont think that delivery costs of a rear axle would be too cheap! It looks like i'm going to have to keep looking at breakers.