PDA

View Full Version : Knackered engine... maybe?

Simo
18th March 2004, 13:44
As soon as I pulled out of my driveway this morning, I knew something wasn't right... The car was juddering under mild acceleration and I thought my clutch had finally given up!

BUT, there was masses of smoke pouring out of the exhaust smileys/fcuk.gif I turned around straight away and limped back home.

Turned the engine on and off a few times and revved it slightly... the smoke began to clear and it started running normally??

I could see oil smoke seeping out from the turbo exhaust gasket, which was obviously passing through the exhaust.

BUT, I've just driven to work as normal? No smoke and a quick blast just before I got to the car park was fine too??

So, what are you r opinions as to what is about to die?

- could be turbo oil seals... but why fine now?
- turbo seized over night leading to a build up in oil pressure and a fcuk up when first started?
- oil somehow going through the inlet hence the juddering, then passing out through the exhaus?
- oil passing up past a piston, hence oil in exhasut and juddering as running on 3 cylinders?

More expense no doubt!

Krissy_Bufton
18th March 2004, 15:17
i think thats a sign of running on less cylinders mate, or you got a problem with ur oil... have u checked ur oil recently?

a good de-compress of ur cylinders should clear any blockage.

Simo
18th March 2004, 18:50
smileys/ponder.gif

Scott
19th March 2004, 03:07
lol

Sounds more likely that the oil passed up the piston and through the exhuast.

Though very very strange that it would stop smileys/smiley5.gif

Also slight symptoms of a bust head gasket BUT head gasket wouldnt repair itself smileys/smiley5.gif

Initially when reading and you spoke of juddering i thought coil pack but with the oil seeping through the turbo gasket im puzzled

Simo
19th March 2004, 04:31
Im puzzled too... I agree oil passing pistons is the most probable cause??

I could understand it if the prob was due to unburnt fuel from extra injectors or something, but it deffo smelled like burning oil... and petrol wouldnt have gave those symptons im sure...?

If it was an electrical fault I could understnad it... but due to burning oil, its got to be something mechanical?

Also thought of head gasket... but not likely either? COuld have been a partial blockage in an oil way.. causing backup/ pressure clearing?

Just bizarre... was fine in the way home from work too. I was expecting it to do it again from cold if it was a damaged/worn piston ring, etc?

smileys/smiley5.gif

GreenSaxo
19th March 2004, 04:44
hmm.. me not really an engine person... hoping to learn on the metro we got in the garage smileys/smiley4.gif

barrett
19th March 2004, 04:51
guessing ur wallets about to be getting very light:s smileys/smiley13.gif

GreenSaxo
19th March 2004, 05:12
whose???

simo's wallet will never be light smileys/smiley4.gif

barrett
19th March 2004, 05:18
i was refering to simos... suppose he doesnt get time to spend enough of it with all his work and uni and this site... this site must take a nasty chunck out of it though..

Scott
19th March 2004, 15:54
if it turned out to be a small blockage, maybe its time to run some flush through and change the oil??

still puzzled it hasnt troubled you again smileys/smiley5.gif

Raysax
19th March 2004, 16:01
Woteva, lets hope it aint 2 bad. Gud luck Simo. smileys/smiley4.gif

axsaxoman
20th March 2004, 00:24
doyou have a restrictor on the oil supply pipe to turbo,if not then it could be over pressure from engine pushing oil past turbo seal ,whcih once engine warm and oil thinner(less pressure has resealed.
this is not that uncommon on after market turbo installations . we have a cure a pressure regulator vavle you fit in the oil feed line to limit the oil pressure ,but not the flow rate. £20 + vat

Simo
20th March 2004, 00:29
I dont have a pressure regulator inline John... I first thought that it would be the turbo at fault, but if that was the case, why would it run very rough?

No power... I struggled to travel 30m back to my home... slipping the clutch to get me there.

With turbo oil seals passing I know oil would burn in the exhaust, but shouldnt run poorly? smileys/smiley5.gif

Im gonna have t whip the plugs, etc out tomorrow...

axsaxoman
22nd March 2004, 02:33
not if it leaked into the inlet side ,have you had a boost pipie off to check?.
neat oildoes not burn well and you did say lots of smoke ,sounds fairly convincing to me.
oil pressure on a saxo is quite high by modrn standards ,manual says min of 4bar at 4000rpm when HOT,how high do you think it could be when cold ?a turbo does not need high pressure ,but large volume ,as its main job is to cool ,not lubricate

axsaxoman
22nd March 2004, 02:34
when ew the turbo probabvly coped with it ,but its not new now and bearings will be worn ,to some extent,

ManicAJK
4th April 2004, 20:45
i'll be looking at one of these regulators john, i'll have a chat with you when i order the twin plate clutch on monday

Simo
4th April 2004, 21:12
For info, Ive not had issues AT ALL, since that one tme on the 18th March... strange smileys/smiley5.gif

ManicAJK
4th April 2004, 21:17
maybe just a hint that your turbo is due for an overhaul soon then.