PDA

View Full Version : VTS just broke down

chapperlin
10th May 2004, 01:02
ok, last couple of days noticed my vts stalled 3 or 4 times , bit unusual but thought nothing of it
anyway, driving along just now and stopped at a junction and the revs just died
it started up ok but this happened a few times until a point came when it would not start up
tried jumping it , didnt work.

any1 know what the problem could be?
hope it nothing major as just spent over a grand gettin the thing back on the road
all ideas or help appreciated

Scott
10th May 2004, 04:05
hmmm describe how it was not starting i.e. how it started to die.

It could eb the battery had died but this would normally be solved by the jump starting, as in it would start while connected to the other battery then die after it was dissconected.

barrett
10th May 2004, 04:12
could be a dead altinator??

Simo
10th May 2004, 05:01
If the engine is turning over, battery is OK.

Most likely causes for not starting IMO would be.

Fuel cut off switch (although not if it was starting, etc)
Coil pack knackered - causing no sparks.
MAP sensor loose or knackered - if dodgy it will start and die immediately.

Your imobiliser light isnt flashing when you try to start the car is it?

Scott
10th May 2004, 05:13
just remembered the fuel thing that happened to both me and simo

check to make sure the hoses at the fuel filter havent come off. happened to me and simo, difficult to detect as its not somehting you tend to look for.

Under the passengers side skirt near the back wheel, make sure its connected up securely

chapperlin
10th May 2004, 12:43
ok to exlain in a little more detail
the problem started as i pulled up to a junction, the revs just suddenly died, it started ok but when i stopped again the same problem, the revs dropped like a sack of spuds, it also then started to stall as i slowly went over some speed bumps, again though, it fired up no problem. this happened a fair few times until i got to a fairly open stretch od road, drove about half a mile and pulled up at the final junvtion id have to stop at b4 gettin home and it stalled again!!!, this time however it would not start, it was turning over , and was sort of "nearly" startin,i pulled up, left it ten minutes and it still wouldnt start.

zander
10th May 2004, 13:12
I am no expert m8 but it sounds like it is something either loose or on the way out and not totally broken yet. Would get it to a Citroen Garage asap. My dads Citroen Picasso had a broken Fuel Pipe the other day and the garage said that they had a lot of problems with them so it might be a problem that they might know immedietly what is wrong. (p.s would get it checked a few places first though coz they might just try to rip u off)

meko1000
10th May 2004, 23:09
i have this very same problem with my vts it is always droping away about to cut out then it gets it together again when the engine is at normal running temp ive tried undoing the bolts to the alty and puting them back on again still doing it though. now reading this im going to have a look at the fuel line put i have the worst feeling that it is going to be the management system that is screwed up if you find the cause i would like to know.

chapperlin
11th May 2004, 02:11
all it was was a loose crank sensor, tightened up and is now running sweet again smileys/smiley4.gif

zander
11th May 2004, 20:19
This is irrelevant to Saxo's but ah warning for all car owners. My dad drove his ciroen xara picasso through a deep puddle yesterday.. as the air intake is low it sooked up water and the engine is knackered leaving him with £4000 worth of damage and no engine.. but that is what insurance companies are for

Ben80vts
20th May 2004, 00:21
i have a vts also with a problem the same every time i go out the same time after starting it runs rough then goes up to 1100 rpm then cuts out if i try to start it it dose not want to know but if i leave it 4 to mins it ok also if i rev it it splutters to 4000 rpm then clears and goes ok