Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Rear Brake Drum Bearings (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475482)

Lardy2333 2nd July 2018 10:41

Rear Brake Drum Bearings

Hi all,

I'm gradually replacing/fixing various bits and bobs on a 1.1 Desire that we got for my daughter and I've got round to the rear brakes. When taking the drums off the wheel bearings on both sides came off in bits so I ordered up some new ones whilst replacing the cylinders and brake shoes. The drums were pretty grotty so got some new ones from GSF. I don't have a press so stuck the drums into the oven and the bearings in the freezer gave it a while then the bearings dropped into the drums without any issues. Only problem now is that they won't go back on the car and I have a horrible feeling that I've managed to install the bearings the wrong way round!:oops: So, a couple of questions for you guys...

Is the little stub axle that the bearings sit on tapered? Does anyone know how to get these eyeless clips out of the drum? I don't mind sacrificing a couple of bearings but I don't want to lose the new drums. Finally, does anyone have a step by step guide (also known as an idiots guide) on how to replace the rear bearings so I don't make the same mistakes again?

Thanks, Lardy.

welshpug 11th July 2018 14:01

no taper, just a nice tight fit, drum type should slide on by hand though.

you need circlip pliers for circlips.

get yourself a haynes manual.

MartinObviously 11th July 2018 20:06

The shoes are auto adjusting, I fitted new shoes to mine and the lining was a bit too thick and I had to take a file to it and remove 1mm from it - which made me think my bearing was the wrong size but it wasnt! the drums has to be perfectly straight to go on.

you need to make sure the nut under the handbrake is fully loosened.

The drums should just slide on after doing that.

Lardy2333 30th July 2018 13:09

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I've been sent the wrong bearings, they're only just going past the thread on the end of the shaft. GSF and Eurocarparts both offer multiple sizes for the same car so I need to get a definitive size for the bearings so I can get these pressed out and proper new ones pressed in.

MartinObviously 31st July 2018 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lardy2333 (Post 6553930)
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I've been sent the wrong bearings, they're only just going past the thread on the end of the shaft. GSF and Eurocarparts both offer multiple sizes for the same car so I need to get a definitive size for the bearings so I can get these pressed out and proper new ones pressed in.

I only see 1 size, but 2 listings. To 01/99 and from 01/99

All 4 stud drums use the same rear bearing. It's a 37mm width with 52mm diameter.

3 stud is the same spec EXCEPT it's narrower at 32mm width.

The gap between the bearing and the thread (the 2mm or so of plain shank on show if there's any) is taken up by the special ridged washer. The nut is torqued against this to hold the 2 halves of the bearing together.

The stub pin has to be immaculate, free from grease which is sticky. Then spray with WD-40. The drum and bearing have to be perfectly straight or it wont go on.

I can't see what would stop it going on...