View Single Post
Old 18th October 2006, 01:56   #1
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!
Default FAQ - Rev problems, coil packs & spark plugs

OK it seems on a weekly basis a new thread gets made about someone having a rev or idle problem and they neglect to use the search function... so im going to try and answer all of the questions they might have, in one easy to read thread :Y:

My car seems to hold onto it's rev's for too long / my car rev's on it's own without touching the accelerator:

This could be caused by several things, but the most likely is this.
Check the green engine coolant temperature sensor (right hand side of engine), check to see if it is corroded... (see picture for location)

If it is corroded your car will think it is colder than it actually is, so your car will over rev to compensate for this...

My car was reving itself to 4-5,000 rpm without touching the accelerator, i replaced the green sensor as it was corroded and now my car idles perfectly at around 750rpm...

To change the sensor - Undo the electrical clip, then you can start undoing the nut on it until it becomes loose enough to hand loosen... then have your new sensor ready... and swap them over asap... coolant wont come gushing out, just dribbles... is only a pretty small hole...
It's a really easy job to do... i changed mine when it was pitch black under torch light and still found it easy... The sensor itself shouldn't cost you that much from eurocarparts.com

If this does not resolve your problem then here are other possibilities:
idle actuator valve, map sensor, throttle position sensor

My car appears to under rev/cut out and sometimes stalls when idling:

This could be caused by several problems. Your coil pack may be faulty or your stepper motor. Your spark plugs may need cleaning/replacing. Your HT leads may need replacing (only present in some saxo's).

If your car's engine management light comes on whilst your car is juddering/cutting out then i would recommend getting a diagnostics check done as it will confirm whether it is the coil pack that has gone.

Where is my coil pack located? How do i change it? and how can i access the spark plugs?:

this engine bay is that of a 99 westcoast - and may vary between saxo models. The coil pack position is indicated by the red arrow.

Firstly you need to ascertain which coil pack you need as there are two main shapes. If your car has HT leads you will need the 4 in a square block. If your car doesn't have HT leads like the westcoast and the furio you need the 4 in a line. Here are the two main types of saxo coilpack:

What tools will you need to remove it? a decent socket set (size 10mm) to avoid stripping the bolts. Make sure you do it when the engine is COOL! Although this is a very simple job to do, it is only simple if you know how it's done.

Now first things first. Remove the oil breather tube from the airbox and rocker cover:

Then disconnect these two connector blocks, one from the coil pack and the other from the end of the airbox.

Then using the socket set undo the two nuts that secure the coil pack in place. Being careful when removing the left hand side nut as there is a wiring mount attached to the bolt.

Once disconnected and unbolted simply lift up and out the old coilpack and replace with the new one :Y: and carry out the reverse of the above method.

If you want to access your spark plugs you must first remove your coil pack, the spark plugs are then accessible...they are located in the wells underneath the coil pack... as shown by the red arrow in the image below:

That concludes my FAQ for now, and im sure it will be updated shortly!
Please feel free to add information that may be beneficial to others!

Hope that is of some help to some of you!
Alex