Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 4th February 2009, 14:24   #21
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

argh jesus christ. was only buying this to do shoots and cover some of my costs. how on earth you're doing it for £100 I'll never know.

Mine is £200 so far. suction cups alone are costing £90
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 14:29   #22
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

yeah cheers mate, i see what you mean about having both heads the same. yeah would definately make the set up quicker/easier. could i get away with just getting a second canon 420ez would that work, it came with me eos 5 35mm slr so its dedicated to that but not my 10d but it would be off camera and on manual mode anyway so that doesnt make much difference. the advantage of getting a non dedicated dslr one is that they are older and therefore cheaper, i could pick up one for sub £40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 14:30   #23
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
yeah cheers mate, i see what you mean about having both heads the same. yeah would definately make the set up quicker/easier. could i get away with just getting a second canon 420ez would that work, it came with me eos 5 35mm slr so its dedicated to that but not my 10d but it would be off camera and on manual mode anyway so that doesnt make much difference. the advantage of getting a non dedicated dslr one is that they are older and therefore cheaper, i could pick up one for sub £40
yep the sb's are non dslr as well... just the power outputs are better as well as the recycle time. But if you've got one already then defo get another! loads of people use them as far as I'm aware.

Can it not be setup as a slave in ETTL?

EDIT... 420EZ is only TTL isn't it?
Old 4th February 2009, 14:37   #24
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
argh jesus christ. was only buying this to do shoots and cover some of my costs. how on earth you're doing it for £100 I'll never know.

Mine is £200 so far. suction cups alone are costing £90
this is what i have got so far, need some more bits too finish it off

tubing is
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310114984168

suction mounts - ive got 2 of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270334242916

i need some downward poles and and a way of locking the tubes together i may just drill a hole through the outer part of one and the flange of the other and run a bolt through them to stop them pulling themselves apart

as for mounting it it will look a little something like this on the side shots, with a suction mount and downward tube one each side of the car and the long tube running under the whole car to make a frame and spread the weight

(love the 2 second photoshop lol)

then looking at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200299559641

and this to mount the camera
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130260368047

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 14:43   #25
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
yep the sb's are non dslr as well... just the power outputs are better as well as the recycle time. But if you've got one already then defo get another! loads of people use them as far as I'm aware.

Can it not be setup as a slave in ETTL?

EDIT... 420EZ is only TTL isn't it?

yeah its TTL only, is the 420ez gonna be good enough for the job or am i better to get 2 new heads

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 14:44   #26
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

I see... I was put off by the DIY bits with the cups... so I've gone for the Avenger F1000 and I've got 3x Superclamps (bought them from a different company on ebay - they did a little discount). I'd watch them on the 2" tubing man, they look like the might slip as it's getting towards their max grab... I was going for 1.5" aerial mast but that looks a better option although I'd go for the 1.5" as it's lighter and still stiff enough.

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2009, 14:47   #27
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
yeah its TTL only, is the 420ez gonna be good enough for the job or am i better to get 2 new heads
like the 430's they aren't a strong flash really... but depends what you want to do. not sure if they've got enough power to do car shoots although... maybe get away with a high iso and/or low aperture.

That one I did of yates (grab it in a sec)... used the sb28's as the main fronts.

Half power as well!

Old 4th February 2009, 14:47   #28
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
I see... I was put off by the DIY bits with the cups... so I've gone for the Avenger F1000 and I've got 3x Superclamps (bought them from a different company on ebay - they did a little discount). I'd watch them on the 2" tubing man, they look like the might slip as it's getting towards their max grab... I was going for 1.5" aerial mast but that looks a better option although I'd go for the 1.5" as it's lighter and still stiff enough.

Cheers!
it is 1.5" tubing mate

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 14:51   #29
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
it is 1.5" tubing mate
whoops! I read the ebay listing as 2" lol
Old 4th February 2009, 14:54   #30
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

the yates pics look good, were they straight heads or were you defusing them with umbrellas etc. also how many heads were you using, i mean will two be enough, i am happy to do a bit of PS work ie if i need a flash in the car to light up the interior then take a second pic and merge the two images etc

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 14:58   #31
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

i think i will test my 420ez later today using a similar setup as the strobe test shot and see how it compares, just a single head from the side, then i work out if it powerfull enough as the strobe image looks about right i just shot it a little late in the evening and didnt set up a second light

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 15:04   #32
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Just two bare flashes from either side, helps create that spotlight around the car.

then a single one inside to the car to lighten the interior slightly. nothing majorly complicated.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:09   #33
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

sounds good mate, i will test the speedlight tonight and see how i get on, if it works ok then i will get another, watching one with an eos 35MM SLR for £5 haha

Quote:
Old 4th February 2009, 15:15   #34
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
sounds good mate, i will test the speedlight tonight and see how i get on, if it works ok then i will get another, watching one with an eos 35MM SLR for £5 haha
bargain!!!
Old 4th February 2009, 21:00   #35
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

a little update, i realised that i wouldnt be able to do a comparison test with that of the studio light as i dont have a hotshoe remote trigger and getting the flash to go off manually at 1/180 is a tall order, plus by the time i got round to actually doing it, it was pitch black. instead i tried another strobist technique using a long exposure, a single speedlite and running round the car like a mentalist lol. i was only using 1/8 power on the flashgun as i couldnt find any more batteries and these ones were dying but i think the flash will be powerfull enough for what i need once i get the right set up using a second head and wireless triggers

Quote:

Last edited by Jungle_Jim; 4th February 2009 at 21:15.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:02   #36
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

banging!
Old 4th February 2009, 23:56   #37
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

nice effect
Old 5th February 2009, 00:01   #38
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

oh and these boom things have started to excite me.

you really trust a £8.99 glass lifter to hold it all on, id be shitting it that the camera is gona slam to the floor, is there some form of safe guard
Old 5th February 2009, 00:07   #39
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Hence I'm paying £45 per cup
And only lobbing the 10d on it
But if it holds then he's got himself a real bargain
Old 5th February 2009, 00:27   #40
don55
Established Member

i also cant see how the hell a 15ft pole stays still whilst moving the car about, with what look like long shutter speeds