Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2008, 21:36   #21
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Green mk1 vtr/s and Focus zetec
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!

oh yeah, only worth it to adjust fuel pressure exactly once cams are fitted etc, not worth it on a standard engine. My mistake, thought this was the cams thread
Old 4th March 2008, 21:38   #22
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

its ok sean ill just give you a dead arm when i meet ya

Old 4th March 2008, 21:57   #23
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
power boost valves work fine, it's only when people don't know how to use them properly that they don't work and the fact that they have a shit sales-orientated name which means when people fit them and they don't make 20bhp they start crying
You are correct that they don’t really do anything on a standard car but if you have had any sizeable gain they not really suitable. Don’t forget its only a fuel pressure regulator and not anything special at that. If you need a high pressure regulator for a car your getting mapped try a pugsport of GMC item. There cheaper and work well.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:30   #24
medz_vtrturbo
Established Member
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
medz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to all

[QUOTE=AXracing;1930350]Well over 200bhp is perfectly possible from a stock VTR internals save for twin head gaskets. But that is from boost. QUOTE]

how much boost is that??
Old 5th March 2008, 08:33   #25
vtr-richie
Regular Poster

Car(s): MK2 VTR
vtr-richie is on a distinguished road

what does a power boost valve doo?
Old 5th March 2008, 08:46   #26
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!

Power boost valve is a brand name, it's actually an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The FSE valve works fine if used properly if used with cams etc as it's adjustable, GMC regulator is static so will be a compromise. For boost ideally you want a rising rate regulator.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:53   #27
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by medz_vtrturbo View Post
how much boost is that??
The most I have seen run is 20psi on a stock bottomend but I don’t know how durable that would be, I suspect not very. A well setup engine running a good kit at 16psi should be relatively durable. I would imagine that would benot a world away from 200bhp.

Last edited by AXracing; 5th March 2008 at 16:16.
Old 5th March 2008, 16:09   #28
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
The FSE valve works fine if used properly if used with cams etc as it's adjustable.
Why would you want to adjust the fuel pressure? The only thing it can be used for is adding or removing fuel right the way across the rev range. So you may add some extra fuel up top but then you also add it down low. You have no real control. If you need to adjust your fuelling you need a remap.

Quote:
GMC regulator is static so will be a compromise.
Its a high pressure high flow regulator. You use it to allow the injectors you are using to sustain a high flow rate. Its doing what a fuel regulator should do. How is that a compromise?

Quote:
For boost ideally you want a rising rate regulator.
That is a very old hat way of doing things, the sort of thing you get on a metro if I recall correctly. This was used as a very ramshackle and not that effective way to adjust fuel supply for on off boost situations. Nowadays electronic engine management systems normally fully control fuelling.

Last edited by AXracing; 5th March 2008 at 16:58.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:41   #29
medz_vtrturbo
Established Member

medz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracing View Post
The most I have seen run is 20psi on a stock bottomend but I don’t know how durable that would be, I suspect not very. A well setup engine running a good kit at 16psi should be relatively durable. I would imagine that would benot a world away from 200bhp.
shocking!!
so how much would a bottom end with forged pistons be able to take??
Old 6th March 2008, 18:48   #30
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

Don’t think any one has found out as of yet. It tends to be the drive train that falters before the engine does. The odd engine that has failed running over 300bhp was normally due to setup. Bucky was running a T04 turbo and was running some insane power. His did fail in the end put it was more to do with lots of heat and detonation damaging the pistons rather than anything braking as such.
Old 6th March 2008, 19:13   #31
ryhornvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2003 posi VTS
ryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr-richie View Post
i am in the same position to you, i would prefer to kill vts's knowing im only a vtr rather than kill vts's knowing full well its a vts at heart
I know what you mean but a vts is the way to go imo (thats from experience). I never modded my vtr in 2.5 yrs of owning it cos i knew there was quicker out there and one day i could have it. Now i want 160bhp out of my vts, its currently 130ish bhp.

Also my mate has a NA modded vtr thats as quick as my vts standard, he spent a lot to get it at that when that money could have bought a whole vts as a second car. Now he cant go further without big money.
Old 6th March 2008, 19:27   #32
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhornvtr View Post
I know what you mean but a vts is the way to go imo (thats from experience). I never modded my vtr in 2.5 yrs of owning it cos i knew there was quicker out there and one day i could have it. Now i want 160bhp out of my vts, its currently 130ish bhp.

Also my mate has a NA modded vtr thats as quick as my vts standard, he spent a lot to get it at that when that money could have bought a whole vts as a second car. Now he cant go further without big money.
I see your point that from normally aspirated tuning the VTS will see more power than any of the 8V out there. But why not just get a faster car then? Its not as if even the Saxo VTS is blistering quick from standard. If your in to tuning a car it really does not matter what car you start with. I had a 1360cc 8V that the engine in development had over 170bhp. Yes you may say why spend so much on it when you can get the same from a VTS with good exhaust, good filter, wild cams, ported head and a remap. But if I was after out and out speed I would have probably got a RX7 or something like that and started with that. Also if your just want a fast saxo then normally aspirated is not the way to go. You would be far better bolting a air charger to a saxo. People have had the sort of power your looking for from a 1.1 8V turbo. That is not to say what you are doing is wrong but there are more than one way to crack a egg.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:39   #33
ryhornvtr
Frequent Poster

ryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to behold

I see your point also, but were not saying what other faster cars are out there. I know a vts isnt massively fast, but its good for what it is. I think this thread has derailed itself.
Old 7th March 2008, 19:41   #34
medz_vtrturbo
Established Member

Quote:
I see your point also, but were not saying what other faster cars are out there. I know a vts isnt massively fast, but its good for what it is. I think this thread has derailed itself.
you derailed it by moiderin.

the question was in the first post, it has been dicussed in this thread and has been answered to an extent. and you come along and moider about a vts???
why? the thread is about a vtr.
Old 7th March 2008, 19:44   #35
medz_vtrturbo
Established Member

Quote:

i know of someone on here that has a 1.1 8v turbo that is near enough that.
its all personal preference. if i wanted to put a vts in mine i would have, but i didnt and went the turbo route. and i put a few high class expensive cars to shame.
Old 8th March 2008, 14:59   #36
ryhornvtr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by medz_vtrturbo View Post
you derailed it by moiderin.

the question was in the first post, it has been dicussed in this thread and has been answered to an extent. and you come along and moider about a vts???
why? the thread is about a vtr.
I think pred derailed it by suggesting the vts route to the thread starter. Calm down, i was only putting my opinion in regarding the way the conversation had gone in this thread.

You on about sophia bush aka gav? Im not going to tell anyone what to do regarding their car, just what i think is best to do.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:14   #37
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

derail ahoy, original question has been answered.
Closed Thread