Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 18th July 2006, 20:47   #1
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up LCR Restoration - The Power of Menzerna

Big Wull from Seat Car Club first got in touch with me at the start of January, seeking advice on how to sort out the bodywork on his black LCR. When he first dropped round to see me, I couldn’t believe the state it was in. Years of gritty sponges and poor technique had left a myriad of swirl marks, hazing and very serious scratches, in addition to some accident damage (paint transfer and compression marks). We had a long chat about car care, and he bought a pile of products and set to work. First, he started washing it properly, using a lambswool mitt, a good quality shampoo, the two bucket method and a waffle weave drying towel. Then, over a week or so, he clayed the whole car in order to remove a substantial accumulation of tar spots and other bonded surface contaminants. By now, the bodywork was looking better, but still needed a lot more work to correct the more serious defects.

Next up, Big Wull bought himself a PC dual action polisher from Autopia, plus the full Menzerna range of polishes and last step products. Over the following weeks, he started to polish the paint, using a light polish (Final Polish II). This was a useful exercise, as it enabled him to build confidence safely. However, VAG clear coats are hard, and while the paint looked better, most of the defects remained. At this point we had a chat, and Big Wull asked me if I would help him return the car to showroom condition. I’d been itching for a challenge of this type for ages, so I agreed. At the start of February, we spent the whole day doing the following.

Process

When Big Wull turned up, his car was filthy, so we firstly washed it, this time using a foam gun and Poorboy’s Slick n Suds (1:4 mix). The steps were: (i) apply foam, leave to dwell for 5 mins (ii) powerwash (iii) apply more foam, wash with lambswool mitt, rinsing mitt after every panel (iv) rinse off with hose (v) dry with waffle weave towel.

Now we could clearly see the defects, helped by the bright morning sun. In the images below, we can see swirl marks, hazing, buffer trails, serious scratches and some paint transfer. Overall, horrendous!

Having already attempted to correct a few scratches on the car using a 4”ť white spot pad and Poorboy’s SSR2.5 with limited success, I knew we needed to go down the aggressive route. So, out came the 4”ť and 6.5”ť orange cutting pads and Menzerna’s Intensive Polish. All trims and rubbers were masked off, and Big Wull removed all the Cupra R badges using a hairdryer and a piece of cotton. The 6.5”ť pads were used to tackle whole panels at speeds of 4-5 on the PC, while the 4”ť pads were used to tackle the scratches at speed 6 on the PC. Moderate pressure was used throughout. The results blew me away ”“ I would say 95% of all defects were completely fixed, while the remaining 5% were significantly improved, almost to the point where you would be hard pushed to notice them. The most impressive thing was the complete lack of hazing ”“ the paint was perfect, and ready for the last step product. However, we decided to further burnish the paint using Menzerna’s Finishing Touch Glaze ”“ Big Wull did this himself, following me around the car. The middle image in the set below shows the results of adding the glaze ”“ unreal!

After a long lunch break, we then set to applying the last step product, in this case two coats of Menzerna’s FMJ sealant. Big Wull also attacked his alloys with Klasse All In One, which lifted some stubborn patches of brake dust and added a highly durable layer of acrylic protection. The tyres and arch liners were then dressed with Poorboy’s Bold N Bright and the whole car given a final wipe down with plush buffing towels. Unfortunately, as the afternoon had worn on, a thick layer of cloud had drifted over, so by the time all of the work was finished (~4.30 pm) lighting conditions were very dull, and the images below do little justice to the awesome finish that was achieved. We’ll try to get some more images after the next wash.

To sum up, Menzerna products are simply mind blowing ”“ the transformation of the paint condition surprised me a lot, as I struggled to believe at the start of the day that we would be able to return it to near perfect condition. I should mention at this point that we didn’t touch the side skirts or the bonnet, as these are due to be resprayed in due course to correct accident damage and stone chips respectively. Once this is done, the car will be perfect, and Big Wull now fully intends to keep it this way.
Old 18th July 2006, 20:52   #2
djjoney
Frequent Poster

Car(s): carbon clad nos breathing westcoast
djjoney is on a distinguished road

i cant believe how much better it looks when your finished with it, i may have to invest in some of those products
djjoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 20:57   #3
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold

Cheers! I've got shed loads to post, might want to review what all of the products can do first! Reason for this is that different products and product combinations give different results on different coloured cars. Also, paint hardness varies a lot between marques, so what works on one for correcting defects won't necessarily work on another. In general European paints are very hard and thus difficult to correct, while Jap paint is very soft and easy to correct. Another way of looking at it is that Euro paint is tough and hard to mark, while Jap paint is soft and marks very easily. Bear with me, more examples coming...
Old 18th July 2006, 21:00   #4
djjoney
Frequent Poster

Car(s): carbon clad nos breathing westcoast
djjoney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedBliss
Euro paint is tough and hard to mark, while Jap paint is soft and marks very easily. Bear with me, more examples coming...

i always thought jap cars were a bit soft
djjoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 21:20   #5
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

: Lol!
Old 18th July 2006, 21:22   #6
peebee
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR MK2
peebee is on a distinguished road

Some bloke did the same thing to my mate clives black leon, great results!

I guess theres meant to be a sig here somewhere!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 22:10   #7
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Think I know Clive from Seat Car Club... and the guy who did the work!
Old 18th July 2006, 22:38   #8
James
Saxperience Addict
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Beeeemer
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!

Want to clean my car?

Nice transformation on that car, but all them products do add up to a huge amount of cash,
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 22:43   #9
Craig
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Seat LCR 225
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Craig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud of

im gunna have to get purchasing some of these groovy cleaning products :Y:
Old 18th July 2006, 23:59   #10
samcook
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 197 cup
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!samcook is absolutely fabulous!

man the finished result is amazing seeing what condition the paint was in before
Old 19th July 2006, 02:01   #11
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

what a transformation cant belive how bad it was before did he use a brick to clean it

couple you recomend some products to get my baby blue car shinny i only use meguiars on it and doesnt seem to shine as much as i want it to

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 13:58   #12
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Can you start a new thread with some pics of what it looks like now please, and I'll put up a list of ideas.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:42   #13
Dan
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon FR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!

Holy shit!!!! Thats great stuff, could do with some of that for the gti-6 as the paint on some parts needs some attention.