Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 1st July 2009, 16:57   #1
Dubs2010

Dubs2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Gear controller hitting Exhaust and Chassis (Video Included)

Hi All,

I am new to the site and kinda stuck I got a 106 GTI and hope ye dont mind me picking your brains cos I cant get answers anywhere else even the 106 Forum.

I recently put in a freshly rebuilt engine into my 99 Pug 106 GTI and the engine starts and cranks fine but I am having problems selecting gears when I have the exhaust Full bolted up to the block for some mad reason.

2nd 4th and Reverse Gear all clunk straight back off the Exhaust and 5th hits the Chassis of the car.

I have included a video of the problem cos I could not make head nor tail of it so decided to record a video to see if ye have seen it before.

My only possible logic at the moment is as follows:

1) The Engine is not sitting on the Engine mounts 100% correct and is sitting to far back cause the selector arm to hit off the ridge in the Exhaust separating the Manifold from the Cat section for 2 of the gears and for 5th it seems to be hitting off the chassis itself. Makes a Ding Noise compared to the rest which are clearing hitting the exhaust.

2) The Manifold has got bent at some point when putting it back on the car and this is causing a upwards Dip in the joining pipes from the Manifold to the Cat section.

3) I got nothing else

Anyone shed some light on it I am really proper confused being honest

Cheers,
Dubs
Dubs2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 16:59   #2
Mr_P
Saxperience Forum Bum
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Bianca White Peugeot 106 S2 Rallye, Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mr_P is on a distinguished road

Correct linkages on correct selectors?

Sure someone on here could shed more light.
Mr_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 17:01   #3
Dubs2010

Yup definitely correct Linkage on the correct Selectors cos when the exhaust is not fully connected up to the Manifold part it selects all gears no problems that's what is so strange about.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:16   #4
Dubs2010

Thursday Morning Bump, HELP MEEEEE :-(
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:27   #5
Fulch
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): MK1 Trackin S engined R, 112.5 ATW, approx 135 ATF
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Fulch is on a distinguished road

I rekcon you've done number 2

|www.facebook.com/jamie.fulcher| X-Box Username: FulchJ
Fulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:32   #6
pjm300
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): T/B'd VTS
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!

my money's on your lower engine mount being fitted the wrong way round
pjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:54   #7
Dubs2010

Default GREAT, thanks for some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulch View Post
I rekcon you've done number 2
The only thing that is since putting me off the thought of me bending the Manifold is I was out looking at it again last night and I notice and drives are SUPER close to the Anti Roll bar and starting to scrape off it so it cant be sitting right I think in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm300 View Post
my money's on your lower engine mount being fitted the wrong way round
Very possible, Is the lower engine mount the round one down below the Gear linkage and that? Does it have to go a certain and way and how do I no which is the right way cos its round lol?

Do any of ye no if it is possible to loosen certain mounts to try and get the block to shift forward ever so slightly?
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:06   #8
pjm300
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): T/B'd VTS
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs2010 View Post
Very possible, Is the lower engine mount the round one down below the Gear linkage and that? Does it have to go a certain and way and how do I no which is the right way cos its round lol?

Do any of ye no if it is possible to loosen certain mounts to try and get the block to shift forward ever so slightly?
yeah its the lower one.

there's 2 bolts holding it onto the block, and the bolt that holds it to the chassis bracket.

its a 10 min job to undo, and flip it up the other way.

give it a go
pjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:11   #9
Dubs2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm300 View Post
yeah its the lower one.

there's 2 bolts holding it onto the block, and the bolt that holds it to the chassis bracket.

its a 10 min job to undo, and flip it up the other way.

give it a go
Legend no harm in trying is right I am gonna give it a go over the weekend.

One of my mates also said try loosen off a certain engine mount ever so slightly and bring the car down the road and back and it should shift forward.

He works for VW and said they do it sometimes if a block is not sitting right on the mounts

Do ye no if this is possible on the 106?
Old 22nd December 2013, 02:09   #10
valleysdj

valleysdj is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem

Hi was having the same problem earlier after changing my engine mountings so put the tools down done a quick google on it and found this post which solved the problem for me just turned the bottom mount up the other way and job done so would like to say thanks for the help...

Nice one pjm300 I owe you a
valleysdj is offline   Reply With Quote