Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 3rd March 2011, 13:00   #1
Craig_B
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): RenaultSport Clio 197 + Ph1 172
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Craig_B is on a distinguished road
Default 14" or 15" Wheels

First thread in this section!!

Purchasing a VTS soon when i find the right one, to use as a track day car. Is going to be road legal as well. Aiming to have it ready for FCS to go on track for the first time noob

I was just wondering if anyone found a difference on track, by using 14" wheels than 15"

I will be upgrading the brakes on it in the future, so clearence may by an issue

Have plenty more questions, but reading through some of the threads have answered some of theses!! Good section

Any help be wicked

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:50   #2
Gordon
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Phase-II VTR
Gordon is on a distinguished road

In general, a smaller wheel with a larger profile tyre will feel softer and more progressive at the limit because there is more tendancy for the tyre to twist at the contact patch but for this same reason will tend to feel less precise. You'll also see more tyre roll due to the taller sidewall.

A larger wheel with a lower profile tyre will feel sharper and quicker to respond thanks to smaller sidewalls not allowing so much carcass twist but will tend to have less feel and there will be a more fine a line between grip and slide.

The argument of which one will give more grip depends on your suspension angles, stiffness, tyre pressures etc.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:03   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

most people run 15s due to them being the same size as standard on the vts.

That and the fact brakes fit under them, gti-6 and 4 pots.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:16   #4
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

as above.

14 though you can get semi slicks quite alot cheaper then on 15.
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:27   #5
JoshB
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 2010 E92 320i MSport
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
JoshB is on a distinguished road

As said, 14" you can get much cheaper tyres. And you can still fit 266mm brakes underneath which are more than enough for a mild spec, lightweight saxo.

--------------------------------
Ooooh, Shiney!
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:45   #6
Craig_B
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): RenaultSport Clio 197 + Ph1 172
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Craig_B is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys, just would be buying different wheels and wanted to know if 14" would of been to any advantage.

Nice one

Old 4th March 2011, 10:35   #7
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

I find usually the smaller wheel gives a better turn in, but the lower profile of the 15" will get more grip as the tyre does not distort as much. The 15" feels heavier though.
For track use I would go for the 15" though as tyre choice is greater, that or drop to a 13" alloy if you can.
I'm trying to get wide 13" wheels on my 205 gti
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote