Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 25th January 2009, 00:22   #1
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold
Default skate park session (bmx)

hi all, i went to my local park with a few mates today to try my hand at flash work, ona dn off camera.

most of my shots were with 2 off camera flashes (older cheap ones jsut used for remote) and a metz on camera flash.

now although im very happy with how most came out, they werent exactly what i was after, i wanted to darked the back ground much more but didnt have the flash power to get through the narrow app.

most were taken with 2/3 flashes and 1/200sec and f12-f16, any higher and i see nothing.

where am i going wrong, or am i jsut lacking flash to overpower the daylight, what flashes could i use to get a better result ?

here are a few of the best

one a bit different

Last edited by don55; 25th January 2009 at 00:33.
don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 00:30   #2
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

a LOT better than the original flash shite you posted

Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 00:31   #3
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

in answer to your questions...

any higher than 200/250 then you'll exceed you max. flash sync speed.

also at f/11 - f/16 you'll be demanding full power out of the flash and that may still not be enough.... get more powerful flashes
Old 25th January 2009, 00:32   #4
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
a LOT better than the original flash shite you posted

not sure to what you are referring, but cheers.

i think

answer my question tho bitch
Old 25th January 2009, 00:34   #5
don55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
in answer to your questions...

any higher than 200/250 then you'll exceed you max. flash sync speed.

also at f/11 - f/16 you'll be demanding full power out of the flash and that may still not be enough.... get more powerful flashes
think more powerful flashes are the only way forward. but i cant aford any so ill jsut wait till it gets a little darker. unless i can find some old manual ones that are GN50 or somehting
Old 25th January 2009, 00:34   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

oh and if you're using Canon IR to remote flash you can use the high speed sync function so you can exceed the 200/250 sync speed of the camera... but it saps power and isn't all that powerful.

Basically you can flash at up 1/8000 using it
Old 25th January 2009, 00:35   #7
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post
think more powerful flashes are the only way forward. but i cant aford any so ill jsut wait till it gets a little darker. unless i can find some old manual ones that are GN50 or somehting
another thing you can do is zoom the flash head to it's maximum to increase its power... provided it still covers the subject then you're sorted

for instance the 580ex isn't actually anymore powerful than the 550ex... it's just it can zoom it's head further so it has a higher flash power equivalence (Guide Number 58 as opposed to the 550's 55)
Old 25th January 2009, 00:36   #8
don55
Established Member

yer the zoom is a good idea. my metz also does HSS but the otheres dont so no use in using it. dont really think it would help to much, but i can try.
Old 25th January 2009, 00:40   #9
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post
yer the zoom is a good idea. my metz also does HSS but the otheres dont so no use in using it. dont really think it would help to much, but i can try.
you'd be surprised man... for instance you can picture a lightbulb filament (make it look like it's just a mild glow) at 1/8000 (depending on aperture of course - but you want to keep it a low f-number anyway). and then use a flash with a filter to illuminate a background... in that instance you could use the HSS
Old 25th January 2009, 00:56   #10
LEE_VTR1
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): RB RS 200
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
LEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team member

good pics mate, missing my bmx now.
sold it the other day as i dont ride no more
but knowing i cant go for a ride now is annoying me a little.

nice photo of the lhd profile ss cassette too mate like that photo alot
Old 25th January 2009, 01:05   #11
don55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE_VTR1 View Post
good pics mate, missing my bmx now.
sold it the other day as i dont ride no more
but knowing i cant go for a ride now is annoying me a little.

nice photo of the lhd profile ss cassette too mate like that photo alot
yer its a mates bike, wanted me to shoot a few closeups of it.

here are the rest of the shots from the day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfos...7612906090113/
Old 25th January 2009, 10:23   #12
LEE_VTR1
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): RB RS 200
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
LEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team memberLEE_VTR1 is a well respected team member

some cool photos in there dude, riders look good too
Old 25th January 2009, 13:34   #13
Dan
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon FR
Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!

They look very good mate
Old 25th January 2009, 14:49   #14
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

they look good mate, ya get like a sense of speed an movement with some of them.
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 18:00   #15
Kenco
Established Member

Car(s): A Saxo Ennit.
Kenco is on a distinguished road

look brilliant mate, what camera used?
Kenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 19:50   #16
don55
Established Member

setup was

canon 30D

tamron 17-50 f2.8

metz 44 AF-4C (on camera)

old sunpack and old viv flash remotley.