Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 28th January 2009, 22:58   #1
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr
louis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default advice on getting better pic's? pluss pic's ive taken already

well i've took a few pic's before but never turn out no where near as good as pic's most you guy's take. what am i doing rong? is it just because most of you HDR your pics? or am i just picking rong spots to take pic's of me car in?

any tip's you guys have got would be great thanx

examples of my pic's below.......

just thought id mention i don't know nothing about photography lol and im just using an average 8.0 digital camera

Last edited by louis_23; 29th January 2009 at 17:42.
louis_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 23:12   #2
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

most respectable photographers on here dont HDR often if at all. HDR in 90% of cases looks pap and doesnt look photographed but computerised which it effectively is.

For interesting pics id try shooting something other than a saxo tbh
Old 28th January 2009, 23:43   #3
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

i agree with ryan on the HDR thing everyone uses it now

try and get creative with view point and composition of each shot (rule of thirds etc), remember you dont have to have the whole car in the pic have a play with some close up detail shots 'cracknell styleeeee'. try out different shots rather than simply a 3/4 on front view, just have a play and see what works

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 23:58   #4
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum

louis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of lightlouis_23 is a glorious beacon of light

ok thanx lads, i realy wanna try get a pic with a bit of a dark imagew like a dirty back ground getto type area with street art, but im yet to find a spot like that lol
Old 29th January 2009, 00:00   #5
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

theres some nice places in bath mate for good pictures.....
Old 29th January 2009, 11:25   #6
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
theres some nice places in bath mate for good pictures.....

yeah i was thinking of going there
Old 29th January 2009, 15:00   #7
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

my main tip would be, going on thoes pics,

1. go somewhere that has no other cars in the background, let alone vans.

2. keep the bloody horizon straight, tilted pics are toss. even your straight ones are on the piss.

3. if your not using off camera flash, try to keep the ambient light on the side of that car you are shooting.(unless going for a dramatic silhouette)

4. processing, have a play in photoshop, see if you can adjsut the curves to get a better sky contrast, shaddows, saturation,etc.

5. try some other angles, of the car if thats whats being shot. as mentioned, get close, get angular and stop taking the same shot angle in each photo. im sure your car has a back

6. try shooting the car at different times of the day for differnt ambient lighting effects, all these long exposure night shots of cars are boring imo. better of with a little bit of daylight left.

7. use different focal lengths to create different backgrounds, use low F number to get blurred backgrounds etc.

8. have fun and take as many pics as you ca, as there free
Old 29th January 2009, 15:49   #8
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post
my main tip would be, going on thoes pics,

1. go somewhere that has no other cars in the background, let alone vans.

2. keep the bloody horizon straight, tilted pics are toss. even your straight ones are on the piss.

3. if your not using off camera flash, try to keep the ambient light on the side of that car you are shooting.(unless going for a dramatic silhouette)

4. processing, have a play in photoshop, see if you can adjsut the curves to get a better sky contrast, shaddows, saturation,etc.

5. try some other angles, of the car if thats whats being shot. as mentioned, get close, get angular and stop taking the same shot angle in each photo. im sure your car has a back

6. try shooting the car at different times of the day for differnt ambient lighting effects, all these long exposure night shots of cars are boring imo. better of with a little bit of daylight left.

7. use different focal lengths to create different backgrounds, use low F number to get blurred backgrounds etc.

8. have fun and take as many pics as you ca, as there free
ok thanx matey, i have done many other ancles but tho's pic's are prob the best of what i've got so far

how can i adjust the focal lenghs on my camera?
Old 29th January 2009, 16:58   #9
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis_23 View Post

how can i adjust the focal lenghs on my camera?
zoom dude
Old 29th January 2009, 17:41   #10
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post
zoom dude
if i zoom on my cam the back ground dnt go blur the pic quality just gose shit
Old 29th January 2009, 17:48   #11
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

does your camera have optical zoom (ie a lens) or only digital zoom, if it only has digital zoom then dont bother as it just ruins the picture quality by cropping it, you are better to crop an image afterwards in photoshop to get closer

as for bluring the background this is to do with depth of field and is achieved by your aperture selection, a small F number (large aperture) will give you a small depth of field.

for more info on beginner photographic terms and tips look here
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86736

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 20:22   #12
NICK2506
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Black '03 Mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
NICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud of

get a digital SLR camera

My progress thread 2003 Mk2 Black VTS
My old 2001 Mk2 VTR progress thread
NICK2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 22:16   #13
louis_23
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
does your camera have optical zoom (ie a lens) or only digital zoom, if it only has digital zoom then dont bother as it just ruins the picture quality by cropping it, you are better to crop an image afterwards in photoshop to get closer

as for bluring the background this is to do with depth of field and is achieved by your aperture selection, a small F number (large aperture) will give you a small depth of field.

for more info on beginner photographic terms and tips look here
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86736
thanx matey thats great
Old 30th January 2009, 05:54   #14
don55
Established Member

surley it must have a zoom tho, what digi camera nowadays has no zoom