Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 3rd March 2013, 00:15   #1
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!
Default Pressure Washer/Snow Lance/Foam

Right, pressure washer on the way out, so thinking of getting a new one, also never used a snow lance or snow foam before, noob question, what exactly is a snow lance? Can i just use a normal pressure washer with a bottle attachment and put in snow foam?

link a brother up
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 00:25   #2
griff_106
Established Member

Car(s): Daily: 2015 Juke 1.5dci Toy: 2002 106 Quiksilver
griff_106 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
Right, pressure washer on the way out, so thinking of getting a new one, also never used a snow lance or snow foam before, noob question, what exactly is a snow lance? Can i just use a normal pressure washer with a bottle attachment and put in snow foam?

link a brother up
Yup got it one mate - as long as the connection is right, you can fix the lance straight to the pressure washer and you're away

I've got a Nilfisk PW so obviously have the corresponding attachment - here's where I got mine from.

It was actually part of a birthday present so my Dad ordered it and got the deal with the lance and Ultimate Finish Foam as well - it works well but would probably go for Autobrite Snow Foam as I've heard good things from it. As I said, nowt wrong with the foam I'm using at the moment though

106 GTi Raptors, 60mm Spax Springs, GTi/VTS 247mm front brake setup for sale and more HERE! PM me for info if required!
griff_106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griff_106 For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:49   #3
LVC
Frequent Poster

Car(s): VTS, Hawkeye WRX, Def90 & Freelander HSE (ex-VTR)
LVC is on a distinguished road

This >>
Foam

With this >>
Foam lance

Give this >>

I'm using a Karcher but you can get cheaper options - the standard snowfoam lance/bottle is crap need to get one like in my link (exactly the same as the AD one with a different bottle) so you can adjust the mix air/snow ratio.

Kiss French, Speak English, Ride Italian & Play Japanese
LVC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LVC For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:59   #4
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Fabia VRS, mk1 fiesta + some others
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
m4tt274 is on a distinguished road

your before after shot sells it well. You should send that to the company that sells the stuff! :')
m4tt274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:17   #5
LVC
Frequent Poster

May have to go into business flogging it over here as I've not found anyone who stocks it in France

I still like to have a good go at the wheels afterwards and come the warmer months will do a proper clean and polish on the cars but as a quick jet/snow/jet it does a great job.

Last edited by LVC; 3rd March 2013 at 14:20.
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:27   #6
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

Ideal. Halford got 50% off some pressure washers today online. So Gona get one now.
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:02   #7
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Why are the lances so much?! Looked at one for current washer and you can buy a new washer with foam lance for less!
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:19   #8
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why are the lances so much?! Looked at one for current washer and you can buy a new washer with foam lance for less!
The ones you get cheap are shit and use loads of snow foam solution ans it will never stick right.

The decent foam lances can be altered to whatever ratio you want also it adds air to the mix and foams it up before it leaves the tip and it sticks loads better also uses less.
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:37   #9
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

so just an ordinary pressure washer and bottle wont do?!
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:52   #10
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

LVC just ordered the bottle you have and the foam, so hopefully get some good results, all this talk of mix of foam and water and air, whats that about?!
Old 3rd March 2013, 17:31   #11
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

The foam sits on the surface and softens the dirt and grime the air helps lift it and carry it away when you rinse it off.
Old 3rd March 2013, 18:51   #12
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
LVC just ordered the bottle you have and the foam, so hopefully get some good results, all this talk of mix of foam and water and air, whats that about?!
You need to put about 1" of concentrated foam mix in the bottle then fill the rest with warm water - give it a good shake and attach to the jet washer.

On the top of the bottle you have a dial - turn this to the max + setting for the thickest foam, ease of a little bit to thin it out (not too much). When the bottle empties (usually at the end of doing the whole car easily) you get only water coming out so avoid pointing it at the car or you'll wash off the snow too soon. The nozzle turns also to widen or restrict the fan of the jet - you;ll figure it out.

Leave for a good 5 - 10 mins and then rinse off. Afterwards you can give it a good polish for a proper finish. I redo the wheels and then leave it at that - too cold for any polishing at the moment - the effect is pretty good and you get to play at being Fireman Sam whilst covering the car in thick snow...great fun

Let us know how you get on.

Old 3rd March 2013, 18:57   #13
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Afterwards you can give it a good polish for a proper finish. .
Snow foaming is a pre wash, You still need to rinse the car then wash the car as you normally would.
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:13   #14
LVC
Frequent Poster

Personally...I rinse the snow foam off but nothing more at the moment - depends how smart you want it to look. With the weather at the moment and the fact that I live at the end of a 1km long unmade road I've no intention of deep cleaning or polishing up any of my cars and the snow foam does a pretty good job of getting most of the crap off them.

Come the summer then I'll clean and polish properly using the SnowFoam as a pre-wash/dirt/grime loosener.

Old 3rd March 2013, 19:31   #15
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Won't be doing anything for three weeks as off to Norway tomorrow. Gona detail it when im back got week off
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:01   #16
LVC
Frequent Poster

Say "hello" to A-Ha for us

Old 16th March 2013, 20:30   #17
readie
Established Member

Car(s): 05' Clio 182
readie is on a distinguished road

If I was you I would get a nilfisk which is basically a karcher but with a metal impeller instead of a plastic one.

I have the snow foam lance off CYC which is very good(make sure you run clean ware through after a wash) and maintenance is easy to do on it.

I personally(being a professional) found auto finesse avalanche is a very good foam it offers great suds and a very good prewash( it contains AF citrus watch the video on YouTube) I usually foam the car let is sit and then rinse before washing as the idea is foam the car and let it soften the dirt then rinse to remove the non bonded contaminants ready for a low risk hand wash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey_106 View Post
Had a good time though, I think! Enjoyed that vibrator!
readie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 00:56   #18
griff_106
Established Member

Car(s): Daily: 2015 Juke 1.5dci Toy: 2002 106 Quiksilver
griff_106 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by readie View Post
If I was you I would get a nilfisk which is basically a karcher but with a metal impeller instead of a plastic one.

I have the snow foam lance off CYC which is very good(make sure you run clean ware through after a wash) and maintenance is easy to do on it.

I personally(being a professional) found auto finesse avalanche is a very good foam it offers great suds and a very good prewash( it contains AF citrus watch the video on YouTube) I usually foam the car let is sit and then rinse before washing as the idea is foam the car and let it soften the dirt then rinse to remove the non bonded contaminants ready for a low risk hand wash
Never knew the bits I highlighted in bold tbh! Thanks for the info - quite interesting IMO!

106 GTi Raptors, 60mm Spax Springs, GTi/VTS 247mm front brake setup for sale and more HERE! PM me for info if required!
griff_106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 07:49   #19
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

i got what was posted up, never made it to norway, but been down in plymouth, im home on next weekend, so may get a detail on the go
Old 21st March 2013, 14:02   #20
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

well just used it, done what you do LVC and snow foamed it and rinsed it and left it for now. Cars was waxed few weeks ago, just had a bit of road dirt on it and splash back from snow roads. Im well happy, snow foamed it, nice and think, left it 15 mins came out and washed down, couldnt be happier! Gona make things so much easier from now on