Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 11th August 2008, 18:18   #1
Sutch
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 6N2 GTI, Mk4 Ibiza Cupra 229.98bhp
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!
Default Nikon D70

Evening, just a thread with opinions and the quality of the Nikon D70, just using the standard 18-70mm Lens included as a starting point.

Now I'm not going to get on the bandwagon and become some amazing photographer, but being a student over the summer should mean I'm working, when infact I'm doing shit all and need something to keep me entertained that doesnt involve drinking, and once purchased wont cost me too much.

Have any of you ever had this camera, how did you find it? Easy to get used to and get good rewards from? Good features and all that jazz ?

I have read several good reviews but want indivdual responses as some of you are getting some, how should I put it?.. F**king stunning results from what you use so thought I'd get an opinion or two.

If this is a big nono, could I have some other recomendations or advice?

[I know all you huys are like "not another kid thinking this is easy and thinks you can poiint and shoot". I want something that'l be rewarding and make me learn some new shizz.]

Thanks, Ed

Will hand out the compulsory rep is wanted.
Sutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 20:29   #2
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Any particular reason you have picked this one? Thought about a Canon 400D/450D? Or an old 10D/30D?

What sort of budget you on? What sort of things do you like to snap at? Motorsport? Insects? Floweres? People?
Old 11th August 2008, 22:27   #3
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!

Nikon's are brilliant..

My D50 has and still serves me well for whatever pics i want to take..Build quality is spot on and is very ergonomic..

Good buy matey..
Old 12th August 2008, 01:53   #4
Sutch
Frequent Poster

Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!Sutch is a great team player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
Any particular reason you have picked this one? Thought about a Canon 400D/450D? Or an old 10D/30D?

What sort of budget you on? What sort of things do you like to snap at? Motorsport? Insects? Floweres? People?
No reason really, just seemed to have some good prices on it and some good reviews, so sort of looking at it more.

Budget is pretty variable, but only recon its worth spending a couple of hundred to start with, think I may chance it and go for a second hand deal on ebay to get better value. From anything to everything really, I know nice n vague

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRiO89 View Post
Nikon's are brilliant..

My D50 has and still serves me well for whatever pics i want to take..Build quality is spot on and is very ergonomic..

Good buy matey..
Fair play, cheers. Have found a couple of quality prices for them on EBay so gonna just go for it, worst comes to worst I can always sell it on.

Both Repped
Old 12th August 2008, 02:04   #5
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Whatever you buy Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony etc etc are all fantastic in their own ways regardless of the 'level' of the camera. But seriously think about the body of the camera you're buying, your not just buying a body but you're buying into an entire system. And unless you've got money growing out of your ass you're unlikely to jump ship to another manufacturer. So NOW is the key time to make sure you research thoroughly and TRY the damn things out. see which one you like the feel of and see how the images come out (look at them on a computer and NOT on the screen of the camera).

Next look at the prices of lenses, flashes and accessories. A body will come and go but lenses will last a life time. This is where your hard earned moniez are going to go once the bug proper catches on to you. So again look at the range available, not just from the original manufacturers but 3rd party companies like Tamron, Sigma & Tokina - all of which have there little gems that will meet/beat a Canon or Nikon equivalent.

I'm trying to remain impartial here but I've invested in a Canon System. And really for entry level I'd still say go Canon. Unless you're looking at a £2000+ body such as either Full Frame or Pro Level Photography, then Nikon is where its at (D700 and D3x respectively).

The cost of the lenses are slightly more expensive on the Nikons, However there is very little price difference for Tamron and Sigma versions in both the Canon and Nikon pool which is cool if you're wanting to avoid the expensive Nikon versions.

Ultimately, it's down to you. Don't expect fantastic results just because you're using a DSLR, it gives your flexibility and it gives you good image quality... but it doesn't make you a good photographer straightaway or guarantee good images - that's down to you. And that comes with experience with the camera you're using, experience in the 'field' environment you're shooting and what additional tools you have at your disposal (i.e. flashes, various lenses, tripods etc etc)

Enjoyyyy

Ads
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 02:05   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

If you're looking at second hand then serioussssly invest most of your money in lenses. Don't buy cheap lenses if you can avoid it
Old 12th August 2008, 02:15   #7
Sutch
Frequent Poster

Ad, Cheers for the reply, very much appreciated.

I completely get where you're coming from, my dad has a selection of lenses with an original Canon SLR body from like 15 years ago, spent bloody tonnes on it, something he's never got rid of, even though its now rarely used.

I know what you mean about its the person as well as the camera that makes a shot, I would love to get a camera, pay some coins and get good shots, but it aint gonna happen, I've got plenty of free time to bum about realising I am shit at taking pics and then get annoyed, give up, then get back to it and sort myself out.

About your spending money on the lesnes, can see exactly where your coming from, obviously certain areas taht cant cut corners, or just going to end up with shite results. Will have to go and have a play with some cameras, and press lots of buttons and shizz, then make that choice.

Cheers for your comments mate, I'm not trying to lick your arse replying, but thought as you took the time to reply its only just I do the same.

Ed
Old 12th August 2008, 02:24   #8
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

No problem at all man! I'm just trying to offer advice which I wish I'd heard or listened to when I first jumped into the money pit of SLR photography lol Don't worry about the arse licking - it hadn't even crossed my mind!

ummmm... It might be worth having a rummage in the your dad's camera kit bag and seeing what he's actually got. You might find he has some very very very nice lenses and if they're EF mounts then you could well be laughing all the way to the camera shop - with an intention to get a Canon body. You'd save a fortune if you can avoid purchasing the lenses and it gets you off the ground quickly and gies you a chance to try all sorts depending on the lenses he has without blowing a lot of cash first.

Good luck anyway man!

ads
Old 12th August 2008, 02:31   #9
Sutch
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
No problem at all man! I'm just trying to offer advice which I wish I'd heard or listened to when I first jumped into the money pit of SLR photography lol Don't worry about the arse licking - it hadn't even crossed my mind!

ummmm... It might be worth having a rummage in the your dad's camera kit bag and seeing what he's actually got. You might find he has some very very very nice lenses and if they're EF mounts then you could well be laughing all the way to the camera shop - with an intention to get a Canon body. You'd save a fortune if you can avoid purchasing the lenses and it gets you off the ground quickly and gies you a chance to try all sorts depending on the lenses he has without blowing a lot of cash first.

Good luck anyway man!

ads
Lol, half the fun is spending loads of money on technology and then regretting it

Went into Jessops the other week, and asked a very vague question about if old skooool lenses fit new bodies, and I swear the kid couldnt even do up a velcro shoe, a lil bit of google tells me they wont, but will have to find out for sure and then have a play around.

Cheers for the help, no doubt I'll be back with more questions, hopefully I wont sound like a 2 year old learning to count though, and I'll actually have some knowledge.

Ed
Old 12th August 2008, 11:11   #10
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Very good point Sayer! Lenses are damn expensive something i never really thought about tbh. But the canon is such an awesome machine. Just need to save up for another few more lenses.

Honestly this photography malarcy is such a bug i cant help spending money lol. Good luck let us know what you buy mate.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:02   #11
Lawrence
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTS/Astra Turbo
Lawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to beholdLawrence is a splendid one to behold

I think the D70 is a great camera, I used a D50 for a long time, then upgraded to the D70 and in fairness, and all it has over the D50 is some more customisable white balance settings, so if your not bothered about tweaking your white balance go the D50 route, there alot cheaper and accept all the AF lenses that the newer D40 doesn't.

The main thing to consider is better glass, the kit lenses arnt upto much, but you can still get some great results with them.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 11:46   #12
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

my only gripe with the Nikon's is the expense of the lenses for them. Which if you decide to get mildly serious with it will hurt the bank balance massively.