Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 8th May 2023, 12:44   #1
nuttysaxo
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo Furio
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
nuttysaxo is on a distinguished road
Default saxo 1.4 kfx

So I have blown my head gasket for a second time , was looking into rebuild got a quote for full engine rebuild just over 3000 , or head gasket inc possibly head skim head refurb for 1200 , not sure what direction I am going with this trying to keep costs down as have other bits need sorting on the car , does anyone have a KFX cylinder head knocking about ... cheers
nuttysaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2023, 02:47   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

That cost is absurd on such a basic engine. You don't even need to take the engine out of the car - unless you're doing the crank mains of course.

be cheaper finding a whole second hand engine.

If you want to find just a head, any 8v cylinder head is compatible with the 1.4 as long as it's the same port spacing on the intake. I'm sure KFX is a roller rocker engine "silver top" if memory serves me correctly.

Ideally you'll still want that skimmed though. No need for a rebuild of the head unless you have bent valves or it's smoking excessively.

Head gaskets don't fail that often, make sure the coolant system is bled properly with the engine off and in the correct order with a header of water, lots of "garages" do this wrong and fuck it up.

That and makes sure new head bolts are used with the new gasket. No shit gaskets, stick with known ones like FAI etc.
Old 10th May 2023, 16:27   #3
nuttysaxo
Established Member

Cheers Martin . yes it's puffing white smoke / coolant I assume ? , it has the MOT coming up I am leaving it with the mechanic and hopefully it will pass and come back a bit better , I was thinking that was a tad bit expensive but 900 was on taking out lump and putting it back in ! . this car is one of the first phase 2 models 00 apr plate , kfx head was on the westcoast ? , but mine has silver rocker cover . cheers
Old 10th May 2023, 21:08   #4
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

I've done one of these, albeit in a 206 quicksilver, such an easy job, no engine removal required, probably a 6 hour job all in less the head test and machine time, which is about £100 around here.

gasket and bolts might be about £50, timing belt kit £30 odd.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2023, 04:41   #5
nuttysaxo
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
I've done one of these, albeit in a 206 quicksilver, such an easy job, no engine removal required, probably a 6 hour job all in less the head test and machine time, which is about £100 around here.

gasket and bolts might be about £50, timing belt kit £30 odd.
Hello mate , I would not have the patience or time to do this , shame as nothing beats doing things yourself . I had a 206 quicksilver years a go 16 v one with sp stuff on it was a nice car that .
Old 22nd October 2023, 14:36   #6
nuttysaxo
Established Member

After a very long time think I have managed to find a head for my furio the guy selling it is not sure what it came off from bought it from a breakers a few years back I can see Z04 on the head same as mine but the long serial number does not match up . Finding kfx type engines is proving difficult now .. anyone who can shed light on this much appreciated cheers
Old 22nd October 2023, 15:58   #7
nuttysaxo
Established Member

Just checked my head to the one for sale 3627748110 the other one is 9627748110 both have stamped Z04 .. my engine is KFX ..
Old 23rd October 2023, 22:12   #8
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttysaxo View Post
Just checked my head to the one for sale 3627748110 the other one is 9627748110 both have stamped Z04 .. my engine is KFX ..
ANY 8v cylinder head will fit. As long as the intake port spacing is the same. You cannot judge by the rocker cover because there are crossover heads! I have one here it's an early port spacing 00-00, but it's roller rocker with silver cover. later ones are spaced 0-0-0-0.

you might need to swap the camshaft pulley from your original head but only if it's a different diameter.

to put it into perspective, I have a 1.6 Rallye head and J cam directly bolted it onto my 2002 1.1 bottom end and swapped the cam pulley (I fitted an early style manifold though!). It works absolutely fine, apart from the fact there's no power below 5000rpm but that's a different issue

Last edited by MartinObviously; 23rd October 2023 at 22:15.
MartinObviously is offline   Reply With Quote