Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 24th December 2009, 11:17   #1
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Yeaaahh Fiesta
iTrader Score: 105 (96%)
Sparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really nice
Default DVD RW Drive Vanished

Having a few issues on vista.
My dvd rw drive has vanished. Im aware its an issue with one of microsofts updates.
I have deleted the upper and lower reg filters that worked. But its gone again. The upper and lower files are also no longer there.
I then added a NoCdBurning reg file which also worked for a couple of days,
but its gone again. I have removed the nocdburning file and reinserted it.
I restart my laptop after each things so its not that either.

I've run the microsoft auto fix program but that doesnt work either.

Any ideas?
Sparco_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:33   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

That's a one pain in the ass bug.

If the bios sees it OK then you may need to install/reinstall the motherboard drivers.

Open CONTROL PANEL--SYSTEM--PERFORMANCE and see if it's running in msdos compatibility mode. Also check CONTROL PANEL--SYSTEM--DEVICE MANAGER and see if any problem shows with the hard disk controllers. If a problem shows with either of the above and the motherboard/chipset drivers were already installed, restoring a registry from before the problem started may fix it.

To do that, boot to dos by starting the PC and tap F8 before the OS starts to load. Choose 'command prompt only' from the menu. At the prompt type scanreg/restore and enter. Choose a registry to restore with a date that precedes the problem.

If that doesn't work out, the next best thing to do is to backup your files, shut down and reinstall windows from power up, assuming you have your windows restore disc(s)...
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:36   #3
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Sparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really nice

hmm i will read your post a couple of times and give it ago. Im not a computer wiz but im not an idiot at the same time.
I have 3 harddrives which 2 are for recovery.

in device manager there doesnt appear to be any problems and everything is "working correctly"
Old 24th December 2009, 11:39   #4
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict

ooohhh it reappeared im running the reinstall of roxio as we speak. its just popped back up
Old 24th December 2009, 11:39   #5
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah i know, i had the same problem a couple of years back, drive disappeared for no reason.. In my case it was some drivers..
Old 24th December 2009, 11:39   #6
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco_Tom View Post
ooohhh it reappeared im running the reinstall of roxio as we speak. its just popped back up
Ah drivers then
Old 24th December 2009, 11:40   #7
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict

yer i had a idea it was going to be roxio or itunes
Old 24th December 2009, 11:53   #8
Manu
Saxperience Addict

It always goes tits at some point with the updates. One of my mates once had a good one recently. The update was eating up all the ram, a click on anything would make the damn thing crash XD
Old 24th December 2009, 12:07   #9
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict

just restarted and its gone again
Old 24th December 2009, 12:34   #10
Manu
Saxperience Addict

It's bloody windows acting up, I would reset it to factory settings tbh
Old 24th December 2009, 15:15   #11
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict

sorted it again, checked the reg and lower filters had appeared again, got rid of them and its fine again