Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 19th July 2017, 11:36   #1
BackSheep
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR 1.6 8v
BackSheep is on a distinguished road
Default Sudden loss of acceleration

The other day I was casually driving along (doing around 40mph) along a simple straight, and all of a sudden my car started to slow. The accelerator was doing absolutely nothing, all power was just gone (electrical power was all still there).

Slowly rolled to a halt, and I believe (my memory is awful) the engine was still running. The battery and oil lights both lit up on the dash.

I shut off all power, left it for 5 minutes and started her up again, and everything seemed to be running fine again.

Any idea what the main possible cause(s) could be for this?

Going to give the car a service shortly as I don't even know when it last had one.

On a side note, which may be related (?), the revs sometimes bounce (sometimes by a couple of thousand, sometimes considerably more - bouncing from 5,000 - 15,000 revs).
On this particular day, driving the car before the problem occurred, it just drove like crap, something didn't feel right - there wasn't as much power as there should have been in the first place etc.
BackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 19:24   #2
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Get your alternator tested mate.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 11:03   #3
hellonpluto
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo VTR '98
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud of

I had this on my old VTR its your coil pack. Whilst you're at it change the HT leads as well. Piss easy to replace as well.

Last edited by hellonpluto; 20th July 2017 at 11:06.
hellonpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:19   #4
BackSheep
L-plater

Thanks for your replies guys.

Tested the alternator yesterday - all looks good.

I have the long 4 point coil pack so don't think I have HT leads?? Excuse me if I'm being dumb here though lol.
Will change the coil pack though and see how that goes - going to give it new sparks too, new oil filter and new fuel filter.
Old 21st July 2017, 16:18   #5
hellonpluto
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo VTR '98
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud of

yours is the mark 2 then. the coil pack on yours includes the ht lead poles or whatever iirc.

When I picked up my coil pack for the mk1 they gave me a mk2 one by mistake and I thought that looks a bit big.
hellonpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 19:30   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Was the alternator tested with the engine running?
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 19:44   #7
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonpluto View Post
yours is the mark 2 then. the coil pack on yours includes the ht lead poles or whatever iirc.

When I picked up my coil pack for the mk1 they gave me a mk2 one by mistake and I thought that looks a bit big.
If only I heard that everywhere I went ... Haha, thanks man. Have ordered new coil pack so will change that when I give her a service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Was the alternator tested with the engine running?
It was yeah mate - got my dad to give me a hand as he suggested it could be that too.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:56   #8
BackSheep
L-plater

Haven't had the problem occur again for a while, but gave the Saxo a few new parts anyway:

• Oil filter
  • Fuel filter
  • Engine flush/new oil
  • Gearbox oil
  • Spark plugs
  • Coil pack

There seems to be a bit of lag in the revs when I change gear, no matter what gear or whether the engine is warm or cold. This has been an issue before the above changes.
Revs also sometimes bounce when idling.

Going to clean the ICV or change it all together and see if that fixes either problem.
Old 9th August 2017, 20:44   #9
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

This used to happen on my vtr when running long trips, don't really know what solved it in the end but I did replace the fuel pump and the coil pack so I assume it was one of those unless it just disappeared on its own..
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:41   #10
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
This used to happen on my vtr when running long trips, don't really know what solved it in the end but I did replace the fuel pump and the coil pack so I assume it was one of those unless it just disappeared on its own..
Haven't taken a look at the fuel pump - maybe I'll change it just for good measure, cheers.

---

Car cut out again yesterday, turned the key straight away and the engine started back up instantly.

Anyone reckon it could be anything to do with the key/immobiliser?