Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 13th March 2013, 17:55   #1
samjessop

samjessop is on a distinguished road
Default Dturbo engine

Was just wondering if anyone had ever done this conversion? is it a direct fit onto the mounts etc
samjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 18:22   #2
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Fabia VRS, mk1 fiesta + some others
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
m4tt274 is on a distinguished road

im guessing you mean you fancy fitting an Xud into a saxo.
If so, yes its been done, the shafts are a pain in the arse, its a custom job and not worth the hassle.
Its a pretty wank engine, its noisy, heavy, slow, inefficient vibrates its tits off and you end up with a smokey saxo that A. wont keep up with a VTS, B. wont happily rev past 4,000rpm and C. handles worse than a standard car due to the big lump of iron with a blower on the side of it you have bolted in.
IF your going to the effort of an 'engine swap' there are better ones to choose.

306dturbos will do like 48mpg though which is decent if you need a cheap run about.
m4tt274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 18:39   #3
ThrushMotorsport
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Turbo Saxo vtr, 2010 Octavia VRS TSI, mk3 Ibiza cu
ThrushMotorsport is on a distinguished road

Haha as much as I'd like a turbo derv of a saxo, far too much work though - there's a good few project threads where it's been done though.
ThrushMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 19:01   #4
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Hdi is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 19:03   #5
tillygti6
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): 106 ph1 rallye 106 gti 106 hybrid thing GTI~6
tillygti6 is on a distinguished road

Hdi is much better.
Theres a couple of highly tuned 106s with the hdi motor in
tillygti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 20:30   #6
Rod1
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Mauritius blue Saxo vtr
Rod1 is on a distinguished road

Why would you choose a diesel lump when even the lil vtr is quick and handles like a go kart?!

Get a 16v lump in it!
Rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 20:51   #7
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

hdi's are the new weapon of choice for the 205 boys
Quote:
Old 13th March 2013, 22:01   #8
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i SX 3dr, 106 (engine swap under way), p
mechsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tt274 View Post
If so, yes its been done, the shafts are a pain in the arse, its a custom job and not worth the hassle.
Its a pretty wank engine, its noisy, heavy, slow, inefficient vibrates its tits off and you end up with a smokey saxo that A. wont keep up with a VTS, B. wont happily rev past 4,000rpm and C. handles worse than a standard car due to the big lump of iron with a blower on the side of it you have bolted in.
IF your going to the effort of an 'engine swap' there are better ones to choose.

306dturbos will do like 48mpg though which is decent if you need a cheap run about.
Erm, depends which xu motor you are on about. The XU10 (gti6 lump) is too heavy for a 106 as it's cast iron. You also have to bung a shitload of money at it to get decent power. On the other hand the XUD9 (alloy block 306 dturbo motor) + gearbox is only 20kg heavier than the 1.5D (tud5) engine (same block as a gti/vts motor). The XUD9 can be made to produce over 200bhp at the wheels and rev to 6k plus. The torque band is pretty f*cking epic as well. It's a diesel, so even when it's off the blower it will pull fairly well. As engine swaps go, the work involved in putting an XUD9 motor in is relatively simple.

The HDi lump is more refined and can be made to produce more power. It is however an utter b1tch to wire up compared to the XUD9. It is also a fairly highly strung lump and tends to throw electronic hissy fits and go into limp mode at the slightest provocation.

A well tuned XUD9 motor in a 106/saxo would wipe the floor with a vts.
mechsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 22:06   #9
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Pretty easy to get 200+ bhp from an hdi with fuck loads of torque and still get good mpg
Quote:
Old 13th March 2013, 22:07   #10
tillygti6
Frequent Poster

I wouldnt fancy trying to splice the hdi loom into it. Id just throw the whole loom into it and job done.
The hdi has a stronger box too,

Whats the crack with bulkhead mods for the xu based swaps? Ive always wondered how much needs chopping
Old 13th March 2013, 22:08   #11
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Not a great deal, it's a snug fit, but not as bad as ppl make out and as you say, use the full loom is easy way to do it
Quote:
Old 13th March 2013, 22:16   #12
tillygti6
Frequent Poster

Hmm, have you seen one been done in the flesh? The downpipe is above the gear linkages on the hdi, looks like it would want a fair bit chopping?
200bhp isnt that easily found.but compared to scratch building a vt turbo its a piece of piss.
Shame all the diesel motors look bloody messy, would be a nice convertion but if you showed anyone who didnt know what it was it looks like a mess of pipes
Old 13th March 2013, 22:30   #13
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Scooby tdo5 running high boost will see the 200mark with a good map and Intercooler and the right injectors

Lad round my way made 174 on a tdo4 and a 150 generic map running high boost, he doing td05 set up and proper map now I think

Not seen one done in flesh in a Saxo, seen a dturbo in a 106 and read a few projects

Exhaust is hardest bit, nothing stopping you re routing it round the front though
Quote:
Old 13th March 2013, 22:34   #14
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
Pretty easy to get 200+ bhp from an hdi with fuck loads of torque and still get good mpg
As long as the hp pump can keep up. If it drops pressure the hdi will go into limp mode. The XUD9 is purely mechanical like the 1.5D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillygti6 View Post
I wouldnt fancy trying to splice the hdi loom into it. Id just throw the whole loom into it and job done.
The hdi has a stronger box too,

Whats the crack with bulkhead mods for the xu based swaps? Ive always wondered how much needs chopping
I considered the hdi for my swap. Took 1 look at the wiring loom and dumped that idea straight away. The hdi box is no stronger or weaker than the XUD box. The hdi box does have a longer final drive however, which drops the rpm for a given speed by 500 compared to the XUD box. The HDi box can be put on the XUD9 lump with a swap of the release bearing holder to the XUD9 type.

Bulkhead hasn't needed touching so far for my swap. You will need an inlet manifold to suit a front mount IC, as the standard top mount IC manifold clouts the brake servo in a 106. I have pretty much figured out that the standard turbo mounting will mean that the turbo is right up against the bulkhead. It could probably be made to clear the standard turbo with a judicious clout with a 10lb sledge hammer to the bulkhead. However, I plan on bringing the exhaust from the manifold around to above the gearbox and mounting the turbo(s) there, as it makes access for tuning/swapping etc much easier. The battery will be relocated to the boot.

For XU10 fitment, it's a different ball game.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:37   #15
tillygti6
Frequent Poster

The fuel pump needs replacing, for something more substsntial often the bmw one is used, and yea the injectors need fettling. Infact the stock injector can do neigh on 200 with amg nozzles.
A custom downpipe would likely save any bulkhead work.
Its a project i quite fancy myself really.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:47   #16
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Pump of course
Quote:
Old 14th March 2013, 09:36   #17
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Ive seen a couple people with dturbos re route the turbo above the gearbox and one run a bumper exit exhaust that worked pretty well space wise.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:27   #18
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tt274 View Post

Not true,
Easily tuneable to over 200bhp and go well,
I'm thinking of doing one in my 106 later this year.

To the Op don't be put off by the conversion I've seen many done.
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 11:30   #19
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Theres always examples of 'ones that have' but generally most normal dturbos that are in a standard guise with their stock pump wound up and boost messed with wont out pace a VTR.
I have a friend running one on a td04 from an impreza, xzantia manifold, transit pump and so on and it seems to forever break and it runs about 170bhp.

Ok, its not bad, but, imo if you were going to go to the effort of an engine swap there would be better engines to use. As Blackie has said, the hdi i would have thought would be better. Peugeot themselves replaced the xud with the HDi. The 2.0 16v hdi from C4 VTS for example would be brilliant, they will produce a sound 190bhp just on a remap.

Also, i have to wonder, how much, start to finish would a diesel build cost? custom shafts, mounts, exhaust and then the actual components you would need in the first place like box, engine, ancillaries.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:37   #20
mechsman
Frequent Poster

^ yes, because most swaps have been tried at one point or another. There's rarely anything truely "unique" out there nowadays. When you say transit pump, was that the whole pump or just the 11mm head? Transit levers and gov? Gov modded or not? There is a whole world of little nuances that needs to be understood to successfully tune an XUD9 pump and keep it reliable. JammaPics 306 made 209.9bhp at the wheels on a 9mm pump with some very choice mods and very careful turbo selection and engineering.

The hdi, in theory, is a "better" engine. Wiring it is a bitch, and in real life swapping the XUD in and keeping it running is a whole lot easier. HDi's also tend to have more "issues" where stuff plays up for some random reason and makes the whole lot have an electronic hissy fit.

Another major advantage to the XUD (with a bosch pump on), you can run it on straight veg oil :-D.

Cost wise, it's not that bad I don't think. I effectively got my XUD engine and box almost for free by buying a mot failure 306, stripping it and selling the bits I didn't need. The custom shafts i have yet to determine a need for, as my setup uses the standard 106 engine mounts and a custom bracket (rather than custom engine mount). As a result I believe that 205XAD shafts will fit, 99.9% certain on the nearside (not tried the offside one in the bracket yet but it looks about right). If you buy a donor 306 you can chop the engine mount out of that an weld it into the 106 if you want to do it that way. As I say though, I haven't had to. The secret is the little bridge piece on the gearbox mount that kicks the whole engine/box combo to the left by about 10/15mm compared to doing it with the 306 mount welded in method. I hope this difference will negate the need for custom shafts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mechsman For This Useful Post: