Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 18th February 2009, 20:19   #1
Saxo_Steve
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk2
Saxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to all
Default Graphics card

I got grand theft auto 4 on pc for my birthday, only problem is my graphics card isn't good enough to play it. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on a graphics card, maybe about £50, can anyone suggest any? The minimum it asks for is 256MB NVIDIA 7900
Saxo_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 16:44   #2
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

IMO if the budget cant stretch ebay is the way... look for 8800gt 512/ 8800gtx 9800's that sorta thing...
Stickyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 17:20   #3
Bowey
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): A45
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Bowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to all

odds on your processor isnt good enough either if your gfx card isnt
Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 17:28   #4
Saxo_Steve
Frequent Poster

Saxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to allSaxo_Steve is a name known to all

2.4Ghz quad core processor, at the time everything was nearer the top end apart from the graphics card for some reason. What about the likes of a 9500 GT, would that be any good?
Old 19th February 2009, 17:33   #5
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

good no... might play it on lowest settings and not smoothly...
Old 20th February 2009, 11:33   #6
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

2.4 qc CPU should be fine, as for the graphics card, i agree with Sticky. Might need something a bit more powerful to run it nicely. My GTX280 XXX has no probs of course

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 11:39   #7
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

What are the specs of your PC? Motherboard, memory, sound card, hard drives?? How is it setup, what speed is the memory what FSB does the mobo support etc etc?

Also, what type of processor is it? I'm assuming if it's a 2.4 quad core in a budget pc you'll have a Q6600. If your mobo supports 333FSB you can instantly clock it from 2.4ghz to 3ghz on stock cooling so that's a nice boost for you straight away.

It's impossible to tell you which card to go for without knowing the rest of your setup.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:04   #8
Day_hughes
Infrequent Poster

Day_hughes is on a distinguished road

Just try looking for a 512MB graphics card, google it and check out if theres many good reviews on it.

Also make sure you have enough RAM and also enough memory free on your hard drive for the RAM to be able to work properly. for example if you have 4GB of RAM you need 4GB space for 'dumping' or something.
Day_hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 12:27   #9
flynnsvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS
flynnsvtr is infamous around these parts

8800GT's are awsome cards. Not sure whether you can pick them up for sub 50 though, think there about 80ish.
Old 20th February 2009, 14:43   #10
Stickyjam
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsvtr View Post
8800GT's are awsome cards. Not sure whether you can pick them up for sub 50 though, think there about 80ish.
thus ebay...
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:17   #11
Saxo_Steve
Frequent Poster

This is the PC I have here and the spec: http://www.packardbell.co.uk/product...128501-46.html

I've decided that I can spend a bit more on a graphics card, I'm not talking a rediculous amount but as the saying goes, you only get what you pay for! Any further info would be appreciated!

Penn, that sounds like a nice little boost. I've been looking into overclocking recently, would you recommend it?
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:20   #12
Saamuell
Established Member

Car(s): JP4 AX
Saamuell is on a distinguished road

IMO you have to be lucky with what pc specs you have to play GTA4 on pc, theres been soo many problems with people trying to install and play it, found many results on t'inernet with people having problems so that put me off and decided not to buy it
but good luck with getting it to work
Saamuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:09   #13
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum

Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_Steve View Post
This is the PC I have here and the spec: http://www.packardbell.co.uk/product...128501-46.html

I've decided that I can spend a bit more on a graphics card, I'm not talking a rediculous amount but as the saying goes, you only get what you pay for! Any further info would be appreciated!

Penn, that sounds like a nice little boost. I've been looking into overclocking recently, would you recommend it?
I'd recommend it purely as it's so easy to do with these cpu's. I've had mine on stock cooling at 3ghz for nearly a year now, not a single problem.
Old 4th March 2009, 07:17   #14
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Overclocking is a good way to get a faster system, as long as youre ok with with voiding your warranty.

But as long as you know what youre doing you shouldnt wreck the chip.

Im running my Q9650 at 4ghz with a Zalman 9700NT cooler, fast as f00k

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:38   #15
Saxo_Steve
Frequent Poster

I had quite a lot of trouble getting it installed etc but managed it finally and it does play, it just takes a really long time to respond to controls as the games moves so slowly, probably just because my graphics card doesnt meet the minimum requirements.

Warranty will be up soon anyway so once it is I might give it a go.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:48   #16
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum

Can currently get an ATI 4870 for £150 if you can push to that much, amazing card.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:02   #17
Stickyjam
Established Member

^ agreed... but at your budget look on ebay for a 8800gt 512...
Old 5th March 2009, 21:57   #18
dannyboy2005
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Punt -y0
dannyboy2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickyjam View Post
IMO if the budget cant stretch ebay is the way... look for 8800gt 512/ 8800gtx 9800's that sorta thing...
I built my own system about 2 years ago, was way ahead of its league when i built it.

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 4800+ (2.4 x2 GHZ)
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (750MB Graphics iirc)
850W Thermal Cool Artic Cool CPU Fan (£80) (Temps never reach above 45 tho)
CD Drives
2x 500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives
PLENTY OF COOLING FANS

I bought the game too, installed it and was rubbish. Frame rate buster.

Even with the latest drivers etc etc, it still stuttered like mad. So i turned the settings to min and was rubbish. Even defraged pc and helped a little but in the end i returned the game... Far too advanced for my computer
dannyboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 22:00   #19
dannyboy2005
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Punt -y0
dannyboy2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsvtr View Post
I paid £250 for mine when it first came out, now you can get OEM ones for around £120 Inc. Shipping.

There not as good as people make out, make sure you get a well known brand like Atari (ATI) or Geforce (Nvidia) as these are the most supported cards if you have technical issues.

My card, they have not made a stable driver for it yet. Some games i can hit 100+ FPS where as some others i can get around 25FPS (Still good though) Just depends on the driver type. And sometimes you get ghosting of images.
dannyboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 22:09   #20
Stickyjam
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy2005 View Post
I built my own system about 2 years ago, was way ahead of its league when i built it.

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 4800+ (2.4 x2 GHZ)
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (750MB Graphics iirc)
850W Thermal Cool Artic Cool CPU Fan (£80) (Temps never reach above 45 tho)
CD Drives
2x 500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives
PLENTY OF COOLING FANS

I bought the game too, installed it and was rubbish. Frame rate buster.

Even with the latest drivers etc etc, it still stuttered like mad. So i turned the settings to min and was rubbish. Even defraged pc and helped a little but in the end i returned the game... Far too advanced for my computer

thats jokes! something doesnt sound right there should be able to get a lil game play out of that...