Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 20th May 2011, 00:07   #1
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 5 Door! Saxo 1.1
imydaking is on a distinguished road
Default Who on here dj's :D

Am sure there must be a few people on here who dj's i there bedroom or professionally. I thought it would be a good idea to try and network with others and help each other out

Anyways i just got my first real gig after being a bedroom dj for at least 5 years! learnt sooo much in that time and been through countless equipment.

The music usually mix is trance and house. There just doesn't seem to be much of a liking for such music around where i live :/

Currently have 2x Pioneer cdj200s, Numark M4 mixer, Vestax vci-100 and a Shuttle Xpc with traktor pro.

whats the music scene like where you guys are?
what gear do you use?
how long have you been doing this?
tell me about your first gig

I really want to get more gigs but its not easy at all. Preferably want to set up my own night with other djs and get diffrent music out there.

Am really just in it for the music tbh i'd do gigs for free as long as it wasn't costing me anything

couple of my mixes are on here if anyone wants to listen, plan on uploading a new one every 2 weeks
http://www.mixcloud.com/imydaking/ju...ther-mix-immy/
imydaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 00:23   #2
Boothy_UK
Banned

Car(s): a cunt for a eye
Boothy_UK is on a distinguished road

Im a "bedroom DJ"/ producer

Started it about a year ago when i realised D'nB is the one.
Got the hang of it pretty quick, using Traktor pro...went from there really.
Started making beats and a lot of my mates are the same its all good round here the scene is decent.

Im not being booked for any gigs, i havnt got any name about myself or anything its just something i just spend far too much time in my bedroom doing.

Im gna keep making beats though, maybe one day they will be heard
Boothy_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 00:30   #3
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

thats cool man i was really into production before i started uni (mistake!) then lost my harddrive and all stuff going to get back into to it soon but am alot more into djing at the mo.

keep on it man just use the internet you can get stuff heard by people all over these days from your own bedroom
i think 'making it' requires alotttttt of patience
Old 20th May 2011, 00:39   #4
Boothy_UK
Banned

Car(s): a cunt for a eye
Boothy_UK is on a distinguished road

I couldnt imagine loosing my hard drive!
Right now the computor i use is pretty darn old tbh and i really need to upgrade.
Countless patches ive saved, loosing them would be crushing.
Patience is the one, getting to learn the basics of what ever software you decide to use can take...as long as it takes if you know what i mean.

I take it you have your head in the crowd at local trance/house nights? a good way to get gigs is to mingle with night promotors localy.
Lots of takes.

Last edited by Boothy_UK; 20th May 2011 at 00:39. Reason: Take.
Boothy_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 00:58   #5
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

well you cna just upgrade the motherboard and cpu on your pc and just put your original hard drive back in and you wont loose any patches etc... you dont have to buy an entire new system.

haha mate there is no demand for trance in my area i've been to the few clubs we have and its mostly commercial dance which i can stand and alot of RnB. I want to start my own thing but i need to obviously find a few people to get that going am sure people would like the kinda music am into most just dont know it even exists as its never played around here.

am open to all forms of music though but its nice to get everyone into something they havent heard before.

and yep your right the mingle and give out cds to people seems to be the best way. I've got this uni gig to prepare for n stuff but after that spending all my time trying to get my name out
Old 20th May 2011, 01:36   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

moving to music section. Theres a few threads on this but alas theres good chit chat.

I dont dj myself anymore but work with them enough on a weekly basis

Want to make it as a DJ. Produce records to get the name out, gigs get booked on music production a hell of alot.
Old 20th May 2011, 08:42   #7
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
moving to music section. Theres a few threads on this but alas theres good chit chat.

I dont dj myself anymore but work with them enough on a weekly basis

Want to make it as a DJ. Produce records to get the name out, gigs get booked on music production a hell of alot.

yep i've heard that myself a few times too that the best way to get gigs is to make a track since there are sooooo many newbie djs out there now, i think its even worse now as all you really need is a computer
Old 20th May 2011, 08:54   #8
GurjSagoo
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
GurjSagoo is on a distinguished road

yeah mate, im a dj, been doing for about 12 years. i also released a album when i was 17 but ur talking 10 years back. mostly into garage and bhangra. my first gig i did when i just turned 18.

was a wicked experience
Old 20th May 2011, 09:30   #9
nufcsteve
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i Furio, Yaris 1.3i SR
nufcsteve is on a distinguished road

Im a bedroom producer!!!!

I have my own little office and use FL studio, Reason and Atomix.

I also mix my own productions using virtual DJ.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:05   #10
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufcsteve View Post
Im a bedroom producer!!!!

I have my own little office and use FL studio, Reason and Atomix.

I also mix my own productions using virtual DJ.
haha am an fl studio user too i have reaason too but not really played with it
over the summer am planning on learning ableton as much as i can it seems pretty awesome for live mixes. Thinking al use the cd players but use ableton for samples or just creating an entire new track on the fly
Old 20th May 2011, 11:07   #11
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurjSagoo View Post
yeah mate, im a dj, been doing for about 12 years. i also released a album when i was 17 but ur talking 10 years back. mostly into garage and bhangra. my first gig i did when i just turned 18.

was a wicked experience
thats cool mate, around where i am bhangra is massive theres alot of asians here, but sadly am just not into that music lol i have tried and i would play it but i know i wont really enjoy it ! theres a few bhangra type djs here and tbh all they do is press play and since they cater for a niche market they get work pretty easily even if they suck
Old 20th May 2011, 11:18   #12
nufcsteve
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i Furio, Yaris 1.3i SR
nufcsteve is on a distinguished road

yea my music isnt great atm as i am still learning. What kind of music are you producing? Im mainly into Experimental/Dubstep/Chiptune.
When it comes to doing any sort of mixing i prefer to use electro house/dubstep.

My fav dj/producer atm is Skrillex
Old 20th May 2011, 11:35   #13
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

I dj'd pro for 13 years at various venues. Played everything from garage to trance, old school to dnb depending on what the crowd was like

Gave up 3 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with the family but been asked to start up again for a monthly guest spot.

Will be doing retro and future classics so mainly house, piano and trance

Will be using my own cdj1000IIs and DJM500 with Sennheiser hd25 phones and e845s mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:34   #14
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
I dj'd pro for 13 years at various venues. Played everything from garage to trance, old school to dnb depending on what the crowd was like

Gave up 3 years ago because I wanted to spend more time with the family but been asked to start up again for a monthly guest spot.

Will be doing retro and future classics so mainly house, piano and trance

Will be using my own cdj1000IIs and DJM500 with Sennheiser hd25 phones and e845s mic
oh wow thats a long time! yeah i get it tho it does take up alot of time...
i spend quite a lot of time just listening to new tunes or making up playlists.
Am still relatively young at 22 and i wanna do it all before i run out of time.

would love to know more about your personnal experience, how you got gigs etc?

btw i see your in yorkshire what clubs play trance or house? not bassline house tho there easy to find

Last edited by imydaking; 20th May 2011 at 12:37.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:35   #15
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufcsteve View Post
yea my music isnt great atm as i am still learning. What kind of music are you producing? Im mainly into Experimental/Dubstep/Chiptune.
When it comes to doing any sort of mixing i prefer to use electro house/dubstep.

My fav dj/producer atm is Skrillex
well when i was producing i use to do remixes like i had cds of acapellas or downloaded ones and i use to rework the song from scratch or use a midi file and change things.

Was mostly interested in house/trance but i got into some DnB production which is alot more fun as you can be alot more experimental with it.

hmm i think at the mo i really love music by EDX its like heaven xD
Old 20th May 2011, 14:48   #16
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Been a bedroom DJ for around 3 yrs now but on and off! Always selling equipment and then buying it all again when I get back into it! Mainly love house these days especially funky/minimal/club/prog etc, anything from Size, Defected, Mau5trap, Axtone and so on.

Had my 3 1210s for few years now and have a Denon Dnx1500s 4-chan!
But as of now, I'm gonna put my CD Recorder to good use, rip all my vinyl to MP3, purchase a CDJ, learn how to use it then atleast that way I can experiment with both vinyl and CD. & eventually bang a few CD's out and put shit
On my YouTube.

Can't really say I'm 'waiting for a break' like some, just getting back into it, tis like riding a bike, one never forgets.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:47   #17
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
Been a bedroom DJ for around 3 yrs now but on and off! Always selling equipment and then buying it all again when I get back into it! Mainly love house these days especially funky/minimal/club/prog etc, anything from Size, Defected, Mau5trap, Axtone and so on.

Had my 3 1210s for few years now and have a Denon Dnx1500s 4-chan!
But as of now, I'm gonna put my CD Recorder to good use, rip all my vinyl to MP3, purchase a CDJ, learn how to use it then atleast that way I can experiment with both vinyl and CD. & eventually bang a few CD's out and put shit
On my YouTube.

Can't really say I'm 'waiting for a break' like some, just getting back into it, tis like riding a bike, one never forgets.
haha i loveee deadmau5 ! and that house sound but with some electro and trance elements can't really describe it really.
oh the switch from vinyl is pretty straightforward mate, i do miss vinyl tho...
i only have a tiny numark portable to play my vinyl :[
but cdjs are definately the way forward unless your a scratch dj

Last edited by imydaking; 20th May 2011 at 16:26.
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:33   #18
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

I both dj and produce. Used too much gear over the years to list
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:47   #19
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

I went college n did a sound engineering course a few years back, Still producing today (uk garage, dnb and dubstep) . I have numark ndx800's, pro tt-2's and a behringer ddm 4000 in my room for DJing and i do get booked every now and again. At the minute im doing an I.T course so i kinda had to put my music on the back burner so i can get my qualifications and prevent myself from being doomed for factory work for the rest of my life. Soon as this course is done though im recording some vocals for a song i wrote, ready to be layed over a nice old skool garage beat ive made.

Music is 4 lyf not jus4 christmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:09   #20
j_breezy
Established Member

j_breezy is on a distinguished road

im a dj in a club, and a bedroom producer