Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 5th October 2015, 09:19   #21
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the advice. If the documents don’t come through within the next two weeks I’ll send off section 10 / the green slip and a V62. Cheers again.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 10:25   #22
Hpi_matrix
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): MG BGT, AX Gti
iTrader Score: 3 (80%)
Hpi_matrix is on a distinguished road

Surely you have to tax the car as soon as you buy it technically, due to the new rules.

Sure you can drive around on the previous owners tax and nothing will probably happen, but it will be a right faff if the documents get sent through, you dont relise its taxed for a week and get pulled over.
Old 6th October 2015, 12:04   #23
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_matrix View Post
Surely you have to tax the car as soon as you buy it technically, due to the new rules.

Sure you can drive around on the previous owners tax and nothing will probably happen, but it will be a right faff if the documents get sent through, you dont relise its taxed for a week and get pulled over.
That's where the new laws are dodgy as hell though.

Whatever happens, unless you buy a car on the last day of the month, the previous owner wont be able to claim for the current months tax. They are only refunded full months.

So they've paid for the current month, and when you tax it, it'll be backdated to the start of the current month - meaning the DVLA are paid tax twice on that month.

Example. I buy a car today - current owner has the car taxed till the end of December.

Change in ownership happens 6th October. New owner cannot claim back tax for October as that's a partial month. They have paid for October, and receive a rebate for November and December.

As new owner, i'm also now obliged to tax the car, and when I do so, it'll be effective from 1st October (unless I decide to sorn it till November).

Old owner has paid tax for October. New owner has paid tax for October. DVLA takes two months payment essentially for October.
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 12:22   #24
Phaeton
Regular Poster

Car(s): 1989 MK1 MR2 with V6 3.0L Camry engine
Phaeton is on a distinguished road

Christ O'rielly you guys are making such a simple thing so complicated, take you green slip (section 10) fill in the details, go to a Post Office that issue VED (car tax) hand it over, give them some cash, you are now legally able to drive the car (assuming insurance/MOT etc.) the V5C will arrive at your house in a short while, happy bunny day.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 12:52   #25
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESD1711 View Post

Whatever happens, unless you buy a car on the last day of the month, the previous owner wont be able to claim for the current months tax. They are only refunded full months.

So they've paid for the current month, and when you tax it, it'll be backdated to the start of the current month - meaning the DVLA are paid tax twice on that month.

Example. I buy a car today - current owner has the car taxed till the end of December.

Change in ownership happens 6th October. New owner cannot claim back tax for October as that's a partial month. They have paid for October, and receive a rebate for November and December.

As new owner, i'm also now obliged to tax the car, and when I do so, it'll be effective from 1st October (unless I decide to sorn it till November).

Old owner has paid tax for October. New owner has paid tax for October. DVLA takes two months payment essentially for October.
Almost sounds like the government are purposely scamming the public.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 18:36   #26
0rang3peel
Saxperience Addict
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): 306 diesel shed broken vts
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
0rang3peel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_matrix View Post

But why is it a 'faff' you can tax the car as soon as you buy it as long as you have the green slip or the v5c, it's only a faff if the have no documents as then you need to get the car in your name before taxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESD1711 View Post

It can be avoided paying 2 times on a month of tax but to be honest it usually doesn't work out like that, it should really be worked out on a day-day basis rather than month-month there's no reason why it couldn't.
Old 7th October 2015, 06:20   #27
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rang3peel View Post
It can be avoided paying 2 times on a month of tax but to be honest it usually doesn't work out like that, it should really be worked out on a day-day basis rather than month-month there's no reason why it couldn't.
Only way I can see to avoid it, is to either buy a car on the last day of the month and tax it from the 1st day...... or to buy a car mid month and sorn it till the start of the next month, and lets be honest - for most folk that's just an unnecessary inconvenience for the sake of a few quids road tax.

Most folk will just tax their car regardless, and all those few quids will add up and make their way in to the governments pocket.

Do agree that it should be calculated on a day by day basis though, really shouldn't be an issue in this day and age.
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote