Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 16th May 2014, 21:53   #1
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

ady_saxo is on a distinguished road
Default Car Polish Removal Issue

Hello all

Gave the car a wash today and then decided to use the triplewax polish which i have read good reviews about.

Applied the polish to the car in the a shaded area and did around half the car which took around 15 - 20 minutes. However when i tried removing the polish it was difficult as some of it had somehow dried up quite solid and rather quickly and i had to give it a good rubbing with the microfibre cloths in order to remove it which took a good 20 minutes to remove it from half the car. At one point i was thinking of giving up and just washing the car again in order to remove it as it did take quite some effort.

Never had a polish like this before as with the Autoglym SRP i can do the whole car and then simply wipe if off with not that much difficulty.

Could the product be faulty or is this the norm with some car polishes. Also would it have actually benefited the car paint in anyway as leaving on too long may have not done any good and i may need to reapply again and wipe off quicker.

Thanks
ady_saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:07   #2
griff_106
Established Member

Car(s): Daily: 2015 Juke 1.5dci Toy: 2002 106 Quiksilver
griff_106 is on a distinguished road

Quick detailer will clear it buddy... you can get Meguiars stuff from Halfrauds pretty cheaply and to be fair it's not actually a bad product.

Some polishes (and waxes - the wax I use can be a bitch to get off) will cure quicker than others. Work a panel at a time next time around would be my advice

106 GTi Raptors, 60mm Spax Springs, GTi/VTS 247mm front brake setup for sale and more HERE! PM me for info if required!
griff_106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:12   #3
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff_106 View Post
Quick detailer will clear it buddy... you can get Meguiars stuff from Halfrauds pretty cheaply and to be fair it's not actually a bad product.

Some polishes (and waxes - the wax I use can be a bitch to get off) will cure quicker than others. Work a panel at a time next time around would be my advice
hi mate
thanks for the quick reply and advice

I have managed to remove it after quite some effort.

I think it would be useful for the manufacturer to state on the bottle how long it should be left on for as it just simply states on the instructions - allow to dry to a haze and then buff.

I guess a polish can dry to its full extent in around 20 mins reading on some car forums, some owners have even left polish or wax on a car overnight and removed it the next day, but it has been a bit of pain to remove.
Old 16th May 2014, 22:37   #4
griff_106
Established Member

Car(s): Daily: 2015 Juke 1.5dci Toy: 2002 106 Quiksilver
griff_106 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady_saxo View Post
hi mate
thanks for the quick reply and advice

I have managed to remove it after quite some effort.

I think it would be useful for the manufacturer to state on the bottle how long it should be left on for as it just simply states on the instructions - allow to dry to a haze and then buff.

I guess a polish can dry to its full extent in around 20 mins reading on some car forums, some owners have even left polish or wax on a car overnight and removed it the next day, but it has been a bit of pain to remove.
No worries!

The problem with using effort is that you may swirled the paint up in the process. Bit of a bitch, especially if you've got a darker paint.

Whenever I 'just' go over the car with polish and wax (I have a DA that I use to get rid of some of the swirls in the paint) I use Autosmart polish and then go onto Collinite 476 and you've got to be careful with both tbh - you can get a feel for some polishes/waxes that are going to a bitch to get off lol.

106 GTi Raptors, 60mm Spax Springs, GTi/VTS 247mm front brake setup for sale and more HERE! PM me for info if required!
griff_106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:51   #5
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff_106 View Post
No worries!

The problem with using effort is that you may swirled the paint up in the process. Bit of a bitch, especially if you've got a darker paint.

Whenever I 'just' go over the car with polish and wax (I have a DA that I use to get rid of some of the swirls in the paint) I use Autosmart polish and then go onto Collinite 476 and you've got to be careful with both tbh - you can get a feel for some polishes/waxes that are going to a bitch to get off lol.
hi mate
I know what you mean now when you say a feel for the polishes as i mentioned that the Autoglym SRP which i would normally use can be left on for longer and comes off quite easily.

I just thought i'd give this Triplewax polish a try as i read some good reviews about it and it was fairly cheaply priced. I know for next time that it will be one panel at a time and then remove with this product.
Old 17th May 2014, 22:00   #6
graham12

graham12 is on a distinguished road
Smile car polish removal

Just a suggestion. I used to work for a car valeters for the best part of 5yrs
part time and I am fully trained. One thing I was taught to do which I still do
myself, and I've trained friends to do the same, is to do a panel at at time .
e.g starting with the roof, put the polish on and take it straight off, then do
half the bonnet and do the same, front wing, side doors, back panel, boot.
Work your way around the whole car, but just do a panel at a time, put the
polish on and take it straight off .
I've seen people put the polish on the whole car before trying to take it off .
its then dried on and you cant take it off, and they've ended up re-washing
the whole car .
doing a panel at a time is the way I've always done it and still do...and it
works .....but not perhaps when the car is boiling hot sat outside in the sun.
let it cool down a touch first or wait till its in a bit of shade and not cooking,
its so much easier.

graham
graham12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 12:29   #7
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham12 View Post
Just a suggestion. I used to work for a car valeters for the best part of 5yrs
part time and I am fully trained. One thing I was taught to do which I still do
myself, and I've trained friends to do the same, is to do a panel at at time .
e.g starting with the roof, put the polish on and take it straight off, then do
half the bonnet and do the same, front wing, side doors, back panel, boot.
Work your way around the whole car, but just do a panel at a time, put the
polish on and take it straight off .
I've seen people put the polish on the whole car before trying to take it off .
its then dried on and you cant take it off, and they've ended up re-washing
the whole car .
doing a panel at a time is the way I've always done it and still do...and it
works .....but not perhaps when the car is boiling hot sat outside in the sun.
let it cool down a touch first or wait till its in a bit of shade and not cooking,
its so much easier.

graham
hi mate
Thanks for this info
I always do the car in the shade and will be doing one panel at a time from now on. From your point of view, do different polishes take different amounts of time to dry before removing?
Old 18th May 2014, 17:19   #8
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Were the panels warm to the touch? Try and do the car (one panel at a time obv) in a garage or under real good consistent shade. Polishes hate being applied in direct sunlight.
Old 18th May 2014, 22:38   #9
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

My guess is the car wasn't properly cleaned prior to polishing. My gf's car did the same when I first polished it. Ended up going over the whole car with clay then tardis to start a fresh. Goes on and comes off like a dream now.

Also most wax and polish need a dwelling time on the panel to cure on a micron level so one panel at a time isn't the best way of doing it.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:06   #10
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
My guess is the car wasn't properly cleaned prior to polishing. My gf's car did the same when I first polished it. Ended up going over the whole car with clay then tardis to start a fresh. Goes on and comes off like a dream now.

Also most wax and polish need a dwelling time on the panel to cure on a micron level so one panel at a time isn't the best way of doing it.
hi mate
Car was nice and clean, i use the same approach for washing my car and have use the same approach for the last few years. Never had a problem before. Could be the new polish as Autoglym SRP has never given me any issues.

So would you say doing 2 panels at a time would be a better approach.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:07   #11
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Were the panels warm to the touch? Try and do the car (one panel at a time obv) in a garage or under real good consistent shade. Polishes hate being applied in direct sunlight.
hi mate
Panels were cool as i washed the car prior to the polish and it had been in the shade for around 2 hours.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:42   #12
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST & 206 GTI180
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

I can pretty much sum it up, most has been said.

*Make sure the car is cleaned properly - the smoother the paint, the better for getting it off
*Do panel at a time
*Check to see how long others leave to cure on specific product
*Don't apply in direct sunlight unless you have no other option, if you do half the curing time at least or it will bake on and become difficult to remove.
*QD panel if it doesn't buff easily to stop marring/creating swirls *especially if your paint isn't smooth to touch*

If you haven't already, strip the protection and clay the car. That will give a better base to protect anyway.

ST
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 09:51   #13
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST & 206 GTI180
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady_saxo View Post
hi mate
Panels were cool as i washed the car prior to the polish and it had been in the shade for around 2 hours.
I'd say your curing time or overall cleaning routine is to blame.

Remember SRP is like a cream, if you leave cream for a while it will dry out. If it was a applied to a textured like surface as apposed to smooth paint it would become harder to get off.

Assuming all the above is done, applying to cool paint etc.

Another thing is you may be applying too much product. SRP as shit as it is imo can go quite a way, you only want a haze from it then panel wipe.

ST
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote