Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 1st November 2014, 22:29   #1
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading Time parts your help needed Plz

So after deciding to keep me car am now looking to start getting parts in and maybe to upgrade and go turbo in time after getting other bits sorted first.

I need some advise on kits and parts to get so am calling on Sax P to give a hand. I have a rough idea on parts what want to upgrade just the question of performance, makes if ones better than the other or their just a name that hikes the price up.

Brakes
I have front/back standard brake disk, pads.
Recommendations for a good after-market set.

I have been looking at WEST COAST FURIO LOWER WISHBONE ARMS BRAKE DISC & PADS set. Are they worth the money £125 or can get any better for around same price or maybe around £200 area.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306988111...19.m1438.l2649

Callipers
Are their any difference in braking from standard to after market.

Braided line feeds
Worth it or not any improvements on braking compared with standard rubber. Anyone got Braided lines and can tell the difference in braking?

Front/Read shocks and springs/coilover kit
What would be best set-up for daily urban use and some track day use?

Bush Kit

Any recommendations on what ones to go for are all pretty much the same or some small improvement??

Radiator
So looking to scrap old one and go for something upgraded that gives better water flow and keeps cooler under driving. Any recommendations as not finding many places doing after market even went on kamracing didn't find me any their.

Fuel Pump/filter
Looking for something better than standard. Any recommendations?

Oil Pump/filter
Any advise on good after market?

Induction Kits
After seeing on mine I have an enclosed kit on that's got K7N filter on it. Thinking to change to a CDA. Any gains besides more grunt. Also is their much or any difference between enclosed and open ones any improvement or gain from having open to closed?

Oil cooler kit
Worth the money or waste of time until going turbo mode?

Manifold
Looking for mainly mid range performance I know wont get that much and maybe some top end performance to. A reduction in RPM would be nice when hitting 3rd and 4th maybe 5th for them longer adventures.

Go faster stripes
Looking for some that will give me 100BPH

Performance cat or decat
So the question comes when decatting will it still pass MOT or can you get a Performance cat that will work like decat and bypass section to the same sort of BHP performance you get from decat? or much simpler just go grab performance cat?

Cam Kit
What are the complications with upgrading cams and is it really worth the upgrade spent on a kit.

Once all that's done not sure and more parts that I cant think of at the min then maybe a turbo depending on cost and insurance increases. So far looked at the rest and seems can go grab me all the parts to upgrade no turbo for me just yet. Think its going to be a few more years until then.
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 22:47   #2
Cam
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Gen 7 Celica 190.
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Cam is on a distinguished road

Thought you going to 'turbo the fuck out of it' your words
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 22:48   #3
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading Time parts your help needed Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
So after deciding to keep me car am now looking to start getting parts in and maybe to upgrade and go turbo in time after getting other bits sorted first.

I need some advise on kits and parts to get so am calling on Sax P to give a hand. I have a rough idea on parts what want to upgrade just the question of performance, makes if ones better than the other or their just a name that hikes the price up.

Brakes

I have front/back standard brake disk, pads.

Recommendations for a good after-market set.

I have been looking at WEST COAST FURIO LOWER WISHBONE ARMS BRAKE DISC & PADS set. Are they worth the money £125 or can get any better for around same price or maybe around £200 area.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306988111...19.m1438.l2649

Callipers

Are their any difference in braking from standard to after market.

Braided line feeds

Worth it or not any improvements on braking compared with standard rubber. Anyone got Braided lines and can tell the difference in braking?

Front/Read shocks and springs/coilover kit

What would be best set-up for daily urban use and some track day use?

Bush Kit

Any recommendations on what ones to go for are all pretty much the same or some small improvement??

Radiator

So looking to scrap old one and go for something upgraded that gives better water flow and keeps cooler under driving. Any recommendations as not finding many places doing after market even went on kamracing didn't find me any their.

Fuel Pump/filter

Looking for something better than standard. Any recommendations?

Oil Pump/filter

Any advise on good after market?

Induction Kits

After seeing on mine I have an enclosed kit on that's got K7N filter on it. Thinking to change to a CDA. Any gains besides more grunt. Also is their much or any difference between enclosed and open ones any improvement or gain from having open to closed?

Oil cooler kit

Worth the money or waste of time until going turbo mode?

Manifold

Looking for mainly mid range performance I know wont get that much and maybe some top end performance to. A reduction in RPM would be nice when hitting 3rd and 4th maybe 5th for them longer adventures.

Go faster stripes

Looking for some that will give me 100BPH

Performance cat or decat

So the question comes when decatting will it still pass MOT or can you get a Performance cat that will work like decat and bypass section to the same sort of BHP performance you get from decat? or much simpler just go grab performance cat?

Cam Kit

What are the complications with upgrading cams and is it really worth the upgrade spent on a kit.

Once all that's done not sure and more parts that I cant think of at the min then maybe a turbo depending on cost and insurance increases. So far looked at the rest and seems can go grab me all the parts to upgrade no turbo for me just yet. Think its going to be a few more years until then.

Brakes. Use either your existing calipers with new discs (any decent brand, no ebay shit) with a fast road pad. Ds2500, ETC. If you eventually need more braking then a 266mm setup from a 206/307 is a good shout. Avoid 283mm setups ideally as they weigh the moon. Yes get braided lines. Your rubber ones are at least 12 years old and tired. Braided will make a noticeable difference.

Front and rear shocks/springs. KAM Racing website. B8 shocks and eibach springs. Job done. New bushes will transform the handling. ARB, new drop links etc. Then wheel alignment. Sorted.

Radiator. Nissins. Sorted.

Fuel pump. Forget it. Standard is fine and will outlive you.

Oil pump. Er... Just no. Leave it. Standard filter.

Induction kit. K&N in standard airbox makes the most power. Others sound nice but compromise performance. You choose.

Oil cooler. Don't bother for road use. If you see a lot more track time then reconsider but for the odd track day you'll be fine.

Manifold. Take your pick. Raceland are budget end but surprisingly good.

Decat / sports cat. Will fail not with decat will pass with sports cat. You choose. Find a better / friendly mot place if you want a decat.

Cams. To be run properly need a ECU remap. For the cost of cams, and standalone and remap at about £1200 you might as well not bother IMO. Or get chip wizards to map standard ecu. Then cheaper but money thrown away as soon as you want anything else accommodated. Personally I'd not bother.

Spend you'd cam money on better suspension and decent tyres.

Last edited by Ross; 1st November 2014 at 22:52.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 23:30   #4
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Car(s): 2 16'v Saxo vtr's
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Jack_Norris is on a distinguished road

I only have limited knowledge on this so I'll give you a noobs opinion.

No point in getting "performance" discs and pads for your rear brakes just some standard mintex, brembo etc will be more than enough.

The ebay link I'd leave tbh. Seems like a fair amount of money for un-branding parts.

As to the calipers and front brakes. There lots of options. I have upgraded mine to 266mm discs and calipers off a peugeot 306. I'd say that its the better option as its a good balance of price, weight, stopping power and plenty of options for "performance" brake pads.
Theres a guide on the suspension stickies that explains the options better.

If you are updating the brakes you should replace the lines too. Braided lines are good plenty of options I have a set of Exact ones on the front brakes. Think copper pipe is another option which is better but I didn't look into it.

As for suspension I can only say what I've got. There's plenty of options its really down to what you want and your budget.
I have Apex shocks and springs on the front and the rear beam lowered with the original rear dampers still. Lowered 40mm all round. It is noticeably bumpy compared to standard but it doesn't bother me. Going to replace the rear shocks with gaz or apex at some point.
It's a good setup if you are on a stricter budget I've only been on track once and it seemed quite stable (although someone with more experience may say different).

Powerflex bushes are a good option and there's currently a group buy on kam racing so you can save yourself some money.

Another thing to consider handling wise is a lower strut brace. Does make a good difference and simple to fit.

Tyres are important too.

A standard vts radiator is more than enough. Just make sure there's no blockages and has fresh coolant.

Don't have any advice on the fuel pump, oil pump don't think they particularly need upgrading.

Induction kits is more down to looks and noise. Good options for max gains is either a standard air box with a panel filter like K&N. A BMC CDA is a good option thats what I have. Simota make a good kit too.
Either option is only going to give you a 5bhp upgrade max but every little helps.

Wouldn't say a oil cooler is necessary if your only going to do track days on occasions. Mocal is the best option I think if your set on getting one.

Manifold options are plentiful. Get what you pay for when it comes to build quality and performance gains. Piper or supersprint are the best to go for but do cost a fair bit.

Your going to get the most performance with a de-cat. However it is technically illegal and will fail a MOT on emissions. Unless you have a friendly mot-er. Don't have any advice on sports cats seems like a waste of money better off having a normal cat and when it comes to track days swapping it over for a decat pipe.
Or just fit a cat for MOT's instead.

Don't have much expertise on upgrading cams. There are lots of different options that will give different performance gains but in turn may need more work to get them running to there full potential.
It is advised that you get your ECU remapped to get the most from your cam upgrade to get the best BHP, idle, fuel economy etc. Plenty of companies can re-map a standard ECU but it is better to go for a stand alone such as a predator.
Jack_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:10   #5
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Thought you going to 'turbo the fuck out of it' your words
Sure am going to be but to be honest you going to pay me insurance for next year with it on lol. Had said going to turbo however insurance is insane.
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:30   #6
Quick
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!Quick is absolutely fabulous!

Flush and change brake fluid.

Changing the manifold will not change the in gear rpm, a gearbox change would.

Decent matching tyres, rather than mixed set of ditch finders, would help!

Remember that a too cool engine ( oil & water ) will wear quicker and not run its best!