Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 18th January 2009, 09:27   #821
samco77on
Regular Poster

Car(s): 2002 106 GTi
samco77on is on a distinguished road

Good stuff mate, I have 205/40/16's as I wanted parada spec 2's.
I get a bit of scrubbing on the rear, but it's not damaging the tyres.

Are r888's really that good? Heard they were pants in the wet, a may did a test and they aquaplaned at 50 mph on standing water?
samco77on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:02   #822
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsaxo View Post
Hey i never said that i jsut said the advantage is minimal? You'd have to be driving the car to the limit to notice much difference i think
Once these are worn out, I will likely be going to the smaller 195s. The weight saving, and less impact on the absolute final drive will pay dividends I think. Ryan has offered me a go with his spare set of 195s on VTS rims, which is very kind. It would be perfect to trial them side by side on the same track.

I'm not disagreeing with Danny, because he's right about the extra grip, but I have a gut feeling that it might be a little too much Vs the power of my car if that makes any sense? The 195s might provide a better balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:08   #823
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samco77on View Post
Good stuff mate, I have 205/40/16's as I wanted parada spec 2's.
I get a bit of scrubbing on the rear, but it's not damaging the tyres.

Are r888's really that good? Heard they were pants in the wet, a may did a test and they aquaplaned at 50 mph on standing water?
r888s are semi-slick, road legal tyres. They are a totally different compound of rubber to the typical road tyre, and will provide a vast amount of grip in comparison. They work well in the damp from what I've tested, but do NOT work that well in the wet. I had one scary moment yesterday morning when going to a RR meet.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 16:09   #824
FinchysSaxo
Established Member
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Megane F1 R26 Liquid Yellow
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
FinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really nice

Yep that rounderbout was lethal!! I bricked it hard as i just slid lol
Old 19th January 2009, 19:47   #825
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

I had 100% understeer. Nothing, just straight for the kerb. I said my prayers, and they were answered. ...without about a foot left before kerbidge.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 19:54   #826
FinchysSaxo
Established Member

FinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really niceFinchysSaxo is just really nice

I literally felt it sliding, fed steering back and no braking or accelarting and was like 'no noo noooo come on please'. Then watched you in my rear view, you were very close, just came round in line in time
Old 19th January 2009, 19:55   #827
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Not a nice experience I can tell ya. The tyres just made this "vud vud vud vud" sound, and it was like I hit black ice.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 19:56   #828
FinchysSaxo
Established Member

Worst feeling in the world, when you have no where to go
Old 19th January 2009, 20:00   #829
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I'm not disagreeing with Danny, because he's right about the extra grip, but I have a gut feeling that it might be a little too much Vs the power of my car if that makes any sense? The 195s might provide a better balance.
now thats sensible thinking. it would suit your car better with 195's??? who knows until you get them on. also you can not compare on the road. the only logical way of doing it is do 2 trackdays at same place with similar weather conditions with same mods. i doubt that will happen. so you need to find the tyre that gives you the best balance.

i have to admit, my car feels superb on my tyres and the only thing that dissapoints is power and gearbox but by this weekend the gearbox will be sorted
Old 19th January 2009, 20:02   #830
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
now thats sensible thinking. it would suit your car better with 195's??? who knows until you get them on. also you can not compare on the road. the only logical way of doing it is do 2 trackdays at same place with similar weather conditions with same mods. i doubt that will happen. so you need to find the tyre that gives you the best balance.

i have to admit, my car feels superb on my tyres and the only thing that dissapoints is power and gearbox but by this weekend the gearbox will be sorted
Hehe, what you got planned for the box?

Yep, I agree about the testing, but will be tricky. Ryan as offered me a test with a spare set of 195s, so I really need to try. According to Toyo's web site, the 195/50s are only 200 grammes lighter than the 205/50s! WTF?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 20:04   #831
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinchysSaxo View Post
Worst feeling in the world, when you have no where to go
LOL, yeah. Tis normally me on the side of the kerb, not the mota...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 20:06   #832
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Hehe, what you got planned for the box?

Yep, I agree about the testing, but will be tricky. Ryan as offered me a test with a spare set of 195s, so I really need to try. According to Toyo's web site, the 195/50s are only 200 grammes lighter than the 205/50s! WTF?
fook i forgot to weigh those tyres for you.. ill find out properly tommorow.
nice of ryan to let you try them.. i personally think you wont tell any difference apart from steering weight on the road...

due to having more power later this year (a lot...) ive gone for a mankee cheng built s2 rallye box with quaife diff. just means i wont be on the limiter on every trackday i do lol..
Old 19th January 2009, 20:08   #833
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
r888s are semi-slick, road legal tyres. They are a totally different compound of rubber to the typical road tyre, and will provide a vast amount of grip in comparison. They work well in the damp from what I've tested, but do NOT work that well in the wet. I had one scary moment yesterday morning when going to a RR meet.
in the wet, it's hard to displace the water between the tyre and the road because of the additional width, which reduces grip massssively as well as the fact that the weight of each corner of the car is spread over bigger area - resulting in less pressure for a given contact patch.

great in the dry I'm sure though.

Enjoy mate
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 20:10   #834
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
in the wet, it's hard to displace the water between the tyre and the road because of the additional width, which reduces grip massssively as well as the fact that the weight of each corner of the car is spread over bigger area - resulting in less pressure for a given contact patch.

great in the dry I'm sure though.

Enjoy mate
I went round this small round-about at granny speed (because Tom was leading the way...) and had I been going at Toadus speed, I think the car would have had a completely fooked suspension at minimal. Scary...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 20:12   #835
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
fook i forgot to weigh those tyres for you.. ill find out properly tommorow.
nice of ryan to let you try them.. i personally think you wont tell any difference apart from steering weight on the road...

due to having more power later this year (a lot...) ive gone for a mankee cheng built s2 rallye box with quaife diff. just means i wont be on the limiter on every trackday i do lol..
No worries bud.

Question about ze box. I think my S1 has done somewhere in the region of 140k! Is there any point in re-building it? I mean, does a re-build make it like new?

Are you going super charge?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 20:13   #836
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

toad has it been dry since you fitted the R888s either>

as the releaseing agent on the R888s is a bit slippery and ive not had chance to rip mine up a bit yet
Old 19th January 2009, 20:13   #837
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
No worries bud.

Question about ze box. I think my S1 has done somewhere in the region of 140k! Is there any point in re-building it? I mean, does a re-build make it like new?

does it still work fine> no clunks and bangs shift gear porerly.

as if so the old saying goes, if it aint broken dont fix it
Old 19th January 2009, 20:15   #838
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
No worries bud.

if you are still using the original box then yes a good re-furb wouldnt do it any harm. its not so much the gears or the f/d but the synchros and bearings that take the hammering. if it was re-built then it would be almost like brand new.

yep mate, s/c all in due time. if i can get anoter job then it will happen very soon and hopefully be a little nippy.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:18   #839
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
toad has it been dry since you fitted the R888s either>

as the releaseing agent on the R888s is a bit slippery and ive not had chance to rip mine up a bit yet
Once, for a short while, ish... And I haven't given then any stick TBH. Wasn't aware of a releasing agent. Feck me, some agent nearly released that day, it weren't from the tyres.

Well, if I was to put money into the box buy getting a quaife lsd, I don't want to either a) get the box re-built if it doesn't need it, or) b Put a quiafe in a box that will soon die because of its high mileage, even with a re-build.

At the moment there's some wierd noises coming from the box area between 1 and 2.5k, so only notice it when pulling away from a stopped position. I have a feeling it might be the lower mount fouling the exhaust mani, as it's pretty much making contact... It goes into gear OK...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19th January 2009, 20:21   #840
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

if the gearbox is out and apart then it makes perfect sense to get it re-built there and then