Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Saxperience Community Related > Suggestions / Improvements / Feedback
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Suggestions / Improvements / Feedback Tell us your ideas of how we can make Saxperience a better place. Also, if we are doing something right... let us know, so that we can do more of it!

Old 30th April 2009, 16:23   #1
Markp
SAXP Code Monkey

Mark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud of
Default Saxperience Server - Community Feedback

This is a shout out for feedback and ideas!

Saxperience currently runs on a single dedicated server. 2 x Dual-Core Xeon (4CPU) with 4GB RAM and capacity for 1000GB traffic. We are looking to upgrade this setup shortly and thought it would be useful to throw it open to the community for suggestions. I know many of our members have hosting experience and I would welcome any feedback.
  • Would you recommend any particular supplier for dedicated servers? What is your experience with them?
  • Should we split onto multiple servers (e.g. Apache, MySQL) to improve performance
  • Does anyone have experience with any of the "cloud" services (e.g. Amazon, Mosso etc.) and is this something worth investigating?
  • As Saxperience is funded by a combination of member contributions and the wallets of the admin staff, value for money (without compromising quality) is a must!

Please post in here (or PM me) if you have any advice to offer.

This is a serious thread about the future of Saxperience. Any spammers please think very carefully about upsetting me before posting in here

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:37   #2
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

I've no experience with a website of this scale but i have noticed an increase in time outs within the past sort-of 6 months, with the volume of members who join every day & the expansion of features on the forum i'd be swayed towards looking into an upgrade of some kind, split servers seems like the next step up?

You back living in the UK now, or has your location always said that?

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 19:31   #3
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Mark was living in New York for a year or so, but he's back in the UK now

Myself and Mark chat quite a bit about the future of the Saxperience community and we take the 'experience' you peeps have online seriously. For this reason, we are always looking to stay one step ahead of what we need. We'd prefer to replace hardware before it needs to be replaced, rather than buckle under the weight before upgrading.

There's no question that we have an upgrade in mind... but the size of the upgrade and the complexity of it is what we are trying to tease out here.

It would be simple to opt for another dedicated server, double the RAM, beef up the processors and job done. But maybe a flexible solution, offering cloud sharing and burst performance would be more attractive?

There are literally countless options available, so if anyone has expereince of a cutting edge system man enough for the job, whether for your company use or leisure, let us know!

Simo

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 20:04   #4
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

Don't know about the upgrade but may be worth cleaning up the site to make more available space???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 20:42   #5
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
Don't know about the upgrade but may be worth cleaning up the site to make more available space???
Space is not an issue fella... and its important we retain our history.

Redundant sections can be removed/upgraded though. This is already ongoing.

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote