Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Vehicle Insurance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Vehicle Insurance Please use this forum to discuss vehicle insurance companies, services, quotations, recommendations, etc.

Old 5th February 2016, 23:48   #1
BSA
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR
BSA is on a distinguished road
Default 21 Y/O, VTR Insurance...

Okay, I'm 21 years old(Soon lol), no license held right now(Currently doing lessons), but say it'll be done by the time I turn 21, so held a license for 0 years and 0 months. 0 NCB, low risk area(IP3), but my first car is a W Reg VTR.

The least I'm finding insurance wise is £3.6k a year, as long as I don't do(Or declare...) ANY modifications.
As soon as I add mods to the quote, that's it, I get declined.

Really don't want to have to shunt the VTR round the back of the house and hide it away whilst I bomb around in a 1.1 for a year, I don't drink, smoke, go out clubbing etc so what I save from not doing shit activities like that I don't mind putting towards insurance, but I know when I'm being royally mugged off.

What are my options?

Cheers.
BSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 00:08   #2
smokeandpoke
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): '57 Vauxhall Vectra CDTI - Daily '02 Saxo VTS - Tu
smokeandpoke is on a distinguished road

I insured a 206 hdi at 18 for 1800 fully comp.
Everyone else was driving 1.2 6n2's and clios etc paying similar prices to what you've said.
Roll coal for a year just to get ncb then the automotive world is your oyster lol.

Everyone will probably disagree but you can't beat a derv for a daily, still very tuneable even a simple map will transform it, my 206 dturbo was the quickest car in the whole group even without an intercooler!

See about a newer shape one or maybe a 306 dturbo? Cheap as chips, will pull strong (relatively) and be reasonably reliable, be more than quick enough for your first year.

Failing that get a black box, and drive like a Nancy for 10 months? They don't all have curfews and you shouldn't really be bombing round until you've got to grips with driving and the roads etc perfect for first time drivers really fear of camcellation keeps you within your limits lol

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
smokeandpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 11:39   #3
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
What are my options?
Anything 1.1 or under.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 21:34   #4
DAN_ADRIANFLUX
L-plater

DAN_ADRIANFLUX is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA View Post
Okay, I'm 21 years old(Soon lol), no license held right now(Currently doing lessons), but say it'll be done by the time I turn 21, so held a license for 0 years and 0 months. 0 NCB, low risk area(IP3), but my first car is a W Reg VTR.

The least I'm finding insurance wise is £3.6k a year, as long as I don't do(Or declare...) ANY modifications.
As soon as I add mods to the quote, that's it, I get declined.

Really don't want to have to shunt the VTR round the back of the house and hide it away whilst I bomb around in a 1.1 for a year, I don't drink, smoke, go out clubbing etc so what I save from not doing shit activities like that I don't mind putting towards insurance, but I know when I'm being royally mugged off.

What are my options?

Cheers.
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN_ADRIANFLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 22:54   #5
HeZ

Car(s): Citroen Saxo WESTcoast
HeZ is on a distinguished road

Adrian flux halved my insurance costs when I changed to them when I was about your age mate.

Very good with modified motors aswell.
HeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 23:34   #6
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Anything 1.1 or under.
This.

I don't understand why you'd buy a car without checking insurance prices first, especially being a new driver!

Sell the vtr, buy a Cinquecento
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 00:58   #7
BSA
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizanthapus View Post
This.

I don't understand why you'd buy a car without checking insurance prices first, especially being a new driver!

Sell the vtr, buy a Cinquecento
VTR is a track project since moving on from 2 wheel builds, had a what could have been nasty crash last year on the road so decided to move onto 4 wheels and off the road. Original plan when buying it wasn't to use it as a road car yet. Sorted for a trailer and 4x4 for towing, but wouldn't mind having it on the road for testing this year rather than building up a years NCB first.

Only doing my driving license so that a) It's done and dusted. b) Track days.

May even have to look into day insurance for testing/toying around in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_ADRIANFLUX View Post
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Will do shortly.
Old 8th February 2016, 11:35   #8
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

So you have not even passed your test & you're talking about racing?Buy a saxo 1.5D or a little corsa,does not have to look great but you'll build your ncb up.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 12:19   #9
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Age doesn’t seem to make much difference without NCB or experience. A friend of mine passed his test at 27 and his insurance was approaching £2k on a 1.2 Corsa... The best advice has already been said, you need to get yourself a little 1.1 or something and run it for a year. Once you have that first years NCB (assuming you don’t crash), your insurance will come right down. But just to be clear, when you’re getting quotes you’re stating that you have a licence? And not provisional?

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA View Post
I don't drink, smoke, go out clubbing etc so what I save from not doing shit activities like that I don't mind putting towards insurance.
What do you do for fun?
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 14:30   #10
deano_123
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stissy View Post

what do you do for fun?
pbw 👌👈
Old 8th February 2016, 14:50   #11
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
pbw 👌👈
I was going to say the same thing lol.
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 01:14   #12
BSA
L-plater

Where did I mention racing? I mentioned track days. I can drive lol, just need to get up to scratch in the eyes of an examiner.

Cheers to those who are actually giving advice.

And yep, pbw's for fun. Need to convince the missus to give it a go for me.
Old 9th February 2016, 07:15   #13
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

Move house.
I paid £1300 for a saxo VTS at 20, with 0 no claims. I then paid £720 for my Clio 182 at 21 with 1 years no claims. Welsh valleys FTMFW.
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 12:51   #14
BSA
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJoee View Post
Move house.
I paid £1300 for a saxo VTS at 20, with 0 no claims. I then paid £720 for my Clio 182 at 21 with 1 years no claims. Welsh valleys FTMFW.
I wish, it's shit round here.

Classed as "low risk" on insurance databases from what I can tell, but I don't see how. Because all of the little scrotes whilst growing up used to be out robbing cars and motorbikes, it's alright for them though, they've all moved away to start a fresh and left innocent fellas like myself to deal with it.
Old 10th February 2016, 13:02   #15
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Have you considered those accelerated insurance companies? You have to be over 21 to take advantage, which you are, but you essentially get a years no claims in 10 months. That would soon fly by.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 13:31   #16
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
Have you considered those accelerated insurance companies? You have to be over 21 to take advantage, which you are, but you essentially get a years no claims in 10 months. That would soon fly by.
That's what I did with Elephant. To be honest, £1300 was more than reasonable considering it was my first car as well.
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 16:37   #17
BSA
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
Cheers fella, will take a look into that!