Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 23rd May 2009, 15:45   #1
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!
Default All the gear no idea.......

Well new set up nearly went into the crowd at high velocity last night. Serious issues tbh, mega stressed me out at work etc.... Tried dialing in my normal settings but just ended up witu useless shit. Suspect the camera metering or the way its talking to the flash is a bit different (probably one of the custom function by the previous owner *I hope*)

Mostly shit so had to go back to the 30D, where even the new glass didnt seem to happy.... Meh... lots more playing/stress to come i feel. Still hopefully ill get it set up sooner than later how I want.

prob only 2 useable I hit with the mkIIn, which are hmmmm....

Think I will be holding on to my old glass a bit longer
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:56   #2
Mike-VTR
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): BMX
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Mike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these partsMike-VTR is infamous around these parts

first ones nice, im not a fan of bw though but they both seem well sharp even if pb have kill the quality some what.

i thought the title was referring to the dj

BF3 - Taking MW3 to the showers, hard. No lube.
Mike-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:57   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-VTR View Post
first ones nice, im not a fan of bw though but they both seem well sharp even if pb have kill the quality some what.

i thought the title was referring to the dj
Im a bit old skool in the sense I LOVE B+W stuff, its an aquired taste though. My clients love B+W so means i dont get screamed at by them for using it thankfully.

Ill upload some of the shots to show why I was pulling my hair out later for you to laugh at lol! Failure of epic proportions.
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:43   #4
Ferg
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Clio 197 Cup
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!Ferg is as cool as a cucumber!

I wanna see epic fail!

Serious though ... I like those picz0rz you've posted.
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:51   #5
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

top pic looks great!!

shame it wasnt consistent though

practice makes perfect though
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 01:56   #6
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

pics look pretty good buddy, i am with you and prefer the black and white shot. unless its a club shots of the crowd etc with loads of lights and lazers, then i think the saturated colours look cool.

i just thought i would point out that there looks like there is some dirt on the lens / sensor as the marks are the same in both pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 02:18   #7
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

ryan, no idea what you're moaning about or if this is just a convoluted asw thread.

the pics look fantastico you cretin.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 13:41   #8
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
ryan, no idea what you're moaning about or if this is just a convoluted asw thread.

the pics look fantastico you cretin.
No flash was on with these, I rarely get such good light. So these were probably the only two keepers from it.

Ill show you the epic fails, 2 shots that are good for a night isnt great.

Jim yes sensor is a bit dirty, knew it before the night.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:45   #9
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

never mind dust spots, they look like asteroid impacts.

anyway it's better as they 'blow' off the sensor better.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:55   #10
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

lol its dirtyer than an x gf...

Look at the exif on the shots to ads, you will see why I was pulling my hair out, and cry at the settings used lol
Old 24th May 2009, 14:01   #11
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

I had a gander man, ISO 400, 1/100. I would have expected maybe a higher shutter speed (because of the focal length you're using) and ISO to nail the DJ but it's absolutely sharp as a pin anyway (take it he didn't bounce his head around?). I really can't see what the problem is man... give me a hint!!!!
Old 24th May 2009, 14:17   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
I had a gander man, ISO 400, 1/100. I would have expected maybe a higher shutter speed (because of the focal length you're using) and ISO to nail the DJ but it's absolutely sharp as a pin anyway (take it he didn't bounce his head around?). I really can't see what the problem is man... give me a hint!!!!
Ill upload the pics with the 16-35 and the slower shutter speeds, which Id use normally to try and get the ambient light in.

Usually with flash ill be at 70mm and between 1/15 and 1/30.

I found with the 1D im having to ramp the shutter speed up more than normal and drop the iso else the images are all over the place. Which means im loosing alot of background lighting, i might try second curtain see if it does anything different with this set up

Marco doesnt move alot but was moving.
Old 24th May 2009, 14:38   #13
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ok taken some shit out of the recycle bin. Using my usual settings (although dropped iso after a couple of shots) Plus then a longer bit with the flash.

As you can see slower shutters trying to drag it like usual the subject is massively blown out/movement is over blurry etc....

I tried spot metering on a couple aswell instead of the usual metering.

Obviously you know yourself i dont want to be ramping the shutters up 24/7 else all ambient is going to be lost.

3 more uploading.

Compair that to where you can see slower shutter speed, more ambient and less blown images.. even if not the best examples of it.

Last edited by Ryan; 24th May 2009 at 14:42.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 15:16   #14
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

before I say anything... the first two of the post are 'good' ones and the second two are the 'not so good ones', yep?
Old 25th May 2009, 00:06   #15
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Nope top two are to show the clear blown individual, and in the dj shot the fact theres no ambient colour.

As a comparrison to other weeks with the 30D
Old 25th May 2009, 00:18   #16
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

the first one in the 'bin set' looks cloudy, its weird

and the second one just looks like it was blown out due to the lighting, not the camera. it all looks fine apart form his shiny head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 00:24   #17
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

1st one looked fine to me man... like really really good.

the last two were ' ' stray ambient and poorly exposed on the fffaaaaaace.
Old 25th May 2009, 00:29   #18
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

First shot even though is sharp seems to have alot more of the crap you get from smoke, and has no ambient light so is just DJ and then dark background (ala what me and you moan about lol)

Second Is showing how using a shutter speed like normal to try and get any ambient just made the whole image utterly shit.

For some reason i find the 1D needs faster shutter speeds than the 30D, but then im loosing the ambient.

The CF was set for ETTL II to be metering on average and not evaluative.

I just dropped in the last one as an example of how with the 30D I could drop to a lower shutter and not have the absolutely blown out face etc
Old 25th May 2009, 00:46   #19
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
First shot even though is sharp seems to have alot more of the crap you get from smoke, and has no ambient light so is just DJ and then dark background (ala what me and you moan about lol)
bosh up the iso then
Quote:
Second Is showing how using a shutter speed like normal to try and get any ambient just made the whole image utterly shit.
Quote:
For some reason i find the 1D needs faster shutter speeds than the 30D, but then im loosing the ambient.
in what way does it need faster shutter speeds? if anything it can get away with lower because of the crop factor. if you're going to ramp up the shutter speeds then of course you're going to lower the the amount of ambient, so increase the iso to compensate.

Quote:
The CF was set for ETTL II to be metering on average and not evaluative.
I have mine set to average ETTLII is far too clever for it's own good in a nightclub - actually this is another reason why Nikon kick canon's arse. The flash metering is in another league.

Quote:
I just dropped in the last one as an example of how with the 30D I could drop to a lower shutter and not have the absolutely blown out face etc
that's because of his shirt man, not because of anything fancy the camera is doing. trust me.
Old 25th May 2009, 00:54   #20
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ads bunging up the iso didnt do anything for ambient light it was just giving me massively blown out images all round, something didnt seem right with the metering even when trying partial/spot/evalative etc...

which is why i ended up ramping up the shutter and massively dropping the iso to try and reduce this happening.

I was having to just go totally defensive on the pics as as soon as i kept it at say iso 800 and dropped it to even 1/10 which is still fast I had massively fucked up images lol

it just totally threw me off tbh, as I just couldnt seem to drop the shutter speed and maintain any form of well lit image. 16-36 aswell didnt seem to want to focus on the 30D either for people shots so all round it was a massively stressful night.

all in all, it just didnt seem to go with much theory which is why i am scratching my head massively

Last edited by Ryan; 25th May 2009 at 00:59.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote