Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 27th October 2009, 14:03   #2161
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Pipercross make some big filters to fit over the throttlebodies, and they are not too expensive. I dont see you getting much gains with an enclosed airbox without the right development to get the right airflow to each throttlebody. When on the move engine bay temperatures are not massively greater than ambient, but it would be worth making sure the exhaust is isolated well, or get some direct airfeeds to the back of the enginebay.

Kev
Both Troy from Northampton Motorsport and Matt from Pug1Off told me to not go near a PiperX one. They told me how much power they were seeing being lost when fitting such things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 14:29   #2162
AT_Power
L-plater

Car(s): Nissan Skyline
AT_Power is on a distinguished road

The worst thing to do with an airbox is to have long trumpets inside it, which will stop the air getting down to them, and don't use the internal "witch's hat" filter as it is no where near big enough. You will need a large "pod" type filter on a silicone bend.

Airboxes are good as they can increase torque and smooth out any dips in the power, but as KAM said they need some work to get them right in terms of volume, distance away from ram pipe edge etc to get the most out of them. But yeah I would look at bringing the cold air around to the throttles if you can. I'd be interested to see one of those carbon intake snorkels with some ducting on it bringing it around to the throttles, or into a carbon airbox. Would look very trick.
AT_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 14:58   #2163
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Both Troy from Northampton Motorsport and Matt from Pug1Off told me to not go near a PiperX one. They told me how much power they were seeing being lost when fitting such things.
And what did they recommend? The PX600 is available in different sizes to give enough clearance. You could buy an overly big one if you have enough space. You may or may not loose power, not all cars do, but if it does a couple of bhp is worth it to protect the engine from dirt. The important thing is to make sure the filter element is away from the trumpets.
With an airbox, ideally you want a large plenum which is big enough that it does not affect the pulse tuning but you have limited space with the induction being at the back of the enginebay.

Every off the shelf carbon type plenum i've seen tested on cars has underperformed as they are usually too shallow.

Last edited by KamRacing; 27th October 2009 at 15:05.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 15:02   #2164
AT_Power
L-plater

Car(s): Nissan Skyline
AT_Power is on a distinguished road

I think there may be some confusion between the piperx airbox and airfilter - the filter should be no problem.

Yes it does seem that the carbon ones are very shallow, but there is an option of a deep backing plate to get some more depth and volume on most of them.

I'll try not to keep adding posts on here taking toads blog off topic - if anyone needs more info pm me

John.
AT_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 15:25   #2165
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

cba reading 3049583094530 pages.

toad in a nutshell wtf have you done to your car since around june time....
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 15:49   #2166
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Point taken guys, thanks.

I'd be gutted spending money on something such as an airbox / filter, and it ending up being a failure. It would have to be right first time round.

I have loads of room between the trumpets and the bulkhead...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 15:50   #2167
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
cba reading 3049583094530 pages.

toad in a nutshell wtf have you done to your car since around june time....
Lazy... Have a skim through the last few pages then.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 15:51   #2168
Bickerton
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 gti
Bickerton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hypocrite, i just had to send you a screen shot of how to click "English" lol
Old 27th October 2009, 16:00   #2169
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
it's just lots of blabbing about filterz n shitz yo and lots of people going 'nice car m8'

you've got TB's ace.

what about power? how the car performs? does it blow up periodically like Kev's 172? have you just slapped tbs on the cammed engine?

etc etc
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 18:03   #2170
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

why go for a piperX filters, when the itg ones are not that much more, and are most likly the best around, from what i read about them,

i got mine directly from AT power themself, and it fit around the bodies perfect with good room inside the filter, they should also have good clearance inside the engine bay.

andy
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 18:39   #2171
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySAXOK View Post
why go for a piperX filters, when the itg ones are not that much more, and are most likly the best around, from what i read about them,

i got mine directly from AT power themself, and it fit around the bodies perfect with good room inside the filter, they should also have good clearance inside the engine bay.

andy
virtually the same material - theres nothing revolutionary about performance air filters in their design. Both ITG and Pipercross have schematics with dimensions so get what gives you the best clearance.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 21:39   #2172
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySAXOK View Post

andy
Pics? Links? Etc...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 21:39   #2173
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickerton View Post
Hypocrite, i just had to send you a screen shot of how to click "English" lol
Haha. True...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 21:39   #2174
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
it's just lots of blabbing about filterz n shitz yo and lots of people going 'nice car m8'

you've got TB's ace.

what about power? how the car performs? does it blow up periodically like Kev's 172? have you just slapped tbs on the cammed engine?

etc etc
Keep going backwards mate. Vid links and RR results...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 21:41   #2175
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

I took the flat tyre off this evening. OMG! It's got a mahoosive hole in it! And the remains on a nail of screw. It's in the middle of the tyre, and in one of the grooves. I'm taking it to a tyre garage tomorrow morning to see if it's repairable. Would be a good cost saving.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 27th October 2009, 21:46   #2176
Bickerton
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 gti
Bickerton is on a distinguished road

Quadruple posts are just plain ghey!

Aslong as not on the outer edge or tyre wall it should be easily repairable
Old 27th October 2009, 21:53   #2177
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Sorry. It's me beeing lazy...

Good, tyre should get sorted then. Winnah.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th October 2009, 10:35   #2178
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mango Westcoast
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT_Power View Post
The worst thing to do with an airbox is to have long trumpets inside it, which will stop the air getting down to them, and don't use the internal "witch's hat" filter as it is no where near big enough. You will need a large "pod" type filter on a silicone bend.

Airboxes are good as they can increase torque and smooth out any dips in the power, but as KAM said they need some work to get them right in terms of volume, distance away from ram pipe edge etc to get the most out of them. But yeah I would look at bringing the cold air around to the throttles if you can. I'd be interested to see one of those carbon intake snorkels with some ducting on it bringing it around to the throttles, or into a carbon airbox. Would look very trick.
You mean like mine?

p.s. as i said on shed, excellent results dave, apart from the torque looks a little low for your spec imo. I'd imagine its due to you running the short tb's. And as already said i've definately run them with a filter, just looking at the trumpets INSIDE my box will make you realise without filtration how much shite will be going into your engine and slowly wrecking all that expensive engine work you've just had done

My 2015 Project thread ---> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...202333&page=45

Last edited by jpsaxo; 28th October 2009 at 10:39.
jpsaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 10:53   #2179
unreal106
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 GTI
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
unreal106 is on a distinguished road

wise words by jp toad its upto you to listen or not but think the vote is to sort something out your not loosing huge amounts of power

LOL adsayer yes he has tb's and makes 163 at wheels car seems to rev up well on roillers but toad needs to upload some driving vids
Old 28th October 2009, 20:55   #2180
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

JP, max torque was just over 135 lb/ft - You think that's low? I don't personally. Plus, the torque spread is excellent.

Yeah, I need to sort something out for filtration, but i'm not sure what yet. If anyone has some good ideas, please let me know.

Unreal - I am listening, honest guv.
Quote:
Quote: