Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 2nd December 2008, 11:48   #1
Reilly
Regular Poster

Car(s): Citroen saxo VTR Mk1 Vauxhall astra 1.8i sport FO
Reilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud of
Default Removal of Rear Axle on VTR TYPICAL

Hey, im swapping my rear axle on my vtr for a re-cond one because i broke the other. Im pretty sure how to get everything off EXCEPT the solid brake pipes.

What part do i remove them from? Will i need to bleed them as soon as my axle is back on?

Help is needed a.s.a.p
Thanks

Last edited by Reilly; 6th December 2008 at 11:54.
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:06   #2
Dan-Subtlem
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Series 1 Rallye
iTrader Score: 151 (99%)
Dan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team memberDan-Subtle is a well respected team member

just simply unbolt the pipes from your existing axle, remove old axle, replace with new axle and then just bolt the brake pipes on to the new axle.

will need to blead the brakes.
In balls deep and worry about the consiquences after
Dan-Subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:08   #3
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

as above. d/c any abs plugs if you have abs.

4 nuts and bolts hold the axel on, piss easy to get off.

Hardest part will be undo'ing the brake lines.

Get the proper brake line spanners from halfrauds other wise you will round them off
get the 9mm 11mm and 10mm 12mm spanners

will come in useful in future.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:12   #4
Reilly
Regular Poster

Reilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud ofReilly has much to be proud of

I know about the 4 mounting bolts but just unsure of the brake pipes. Do remove straight from back of caliper????
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:33   #5
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
I know about the 4 mounting bolts but just unsure of the brake pipes. Do remove straight from back of caliper????
nope there is a braket mounted on the axel where the flexi hose joins
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:35   #6
Reilly
Regular Poster

Remove all of them?? and from the one side or will it have to be both sides
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:37   #7
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Remove all of them?? and from the one side or will it have to be both sides
undo one taht is closest to front of car, that screws into flexi hose which then goes to solid line to caliper.

So unscrew ones closest to font of of car then unclip from axel if they are clipped down.

You will see as your removing it dude.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:43   #8
Reilly
Regular Poster

Oki doki. I have been stormed out for now so im jus sittin tight till this weather calms lol, so far iv had rain non stop, then it went to snow, and iv just been under the car whilst ma legs are gettin battered by massive hail. grrr lol
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:31   #9
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

get out there and go hardcore.

I did yesterday now got a cold
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:37   #10
Reilly
Regular Poster

I already gots one haha. it pisses me off so, if im pissed off i will rush, and if i rush i will fuk it up. and thats not on my "to-do list" haha
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:51   #11
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

best place we found to remove the brake lines is the biax box on the rear beam

then you can get the lines off the beam in realtive comfort off the car if theyre needed

11mm brake spanner iirc
they can be a pain but we found motorcycle chain grease was a good way to lube it to ease getting it out

its not a hard job to do
fitting the new 1 is more of a pain lol
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:53   #12
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-VTS View Post
best place we found to remove the brake lines is the biax box on the rear beam

then you can get the lines off the beam in realtive comfort off the car if theyre needed

11mm brake spanner iirc
they can be a pain but we found motorcycle chain grease was a good way to lube it to ease getting it out

its not a hard job to do
fitting the new 1 is more of a pain lol
thats if you have a rear bias valve
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:55   #13
Reilly
Regular Poster

Thatl be the box type thing with four pipes coming out of it will it??
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:57   #14
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

yea
theres 2 that go to the beam
and 2 that run forward to the car

undo the 2 that go to the car
to do it easily drop the beam down (rest it on some stands of boxes)
gives you more room to reach them
oh really.....
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:01   #15
Reilly
Regular Poster

ahhh okay. Im avin another go in a min so, got a "twat bolt" so gonna fuss wi that then drop it down, so undo the 2 that go to the car, drop the beam fully, swap it over and re attach the 2 pipes??
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:45   #16
Reilly
Regular Poster

2 rear mounting bolts removed (the ones that go into the boot) and its dropped a lil, gonna drop it sum more off the front mounting bolts and it should be free to see these 2 pipes i need to undo, is a brake spanner a DEFO MUST USE, or is a normal one worth a go??

P.S you should see how wrapped up i am, i look like im off to the frikin Arctic! ahwell, warmth...i love it
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:02   #17
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

deffo use a brake spanner

normal spanner will round the fitting and then your screwed
oh really.....
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:03   #18
Reilly
Regular Poster

Off to halfrauds now. Then i shal continue

Cheers for this chaps btw lol i wud still be starin at it now!! Cheeers
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:38   #19
Paulp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

*imagines him walking into halfords dressed up as if hes going north pole*

Know the feeling on working on car in bad conditions mate, the day before trax i was led in big puddles under my car lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:33   #20
Reilly
Regular Poster

Haha, all that is true apart from the walkin part..............i had ma huskies drag me there on ma sled lol.

Yea and my car lowered a fair bit so it bottoms out QUICK at the front so got around 2foot of space, on ma chest or back. Live along the sea too so got gale force winds, sea spray, had rain, had hail as i sed before etc etc.
Anywhoo got me toolies and its pitch black out so, gonna be a "To Be Continued" job.
I shal post 2morrow if any more probs or Q's chaps.