Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 29th May 2011, 21:10   #1
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Docbooze is on a distinguished road
Default Gearbox Change Nightmare - SOS !

Just changed the clutch on my 1.1 1998 pile of garbage as it's now known.

This is the second time I've had the gearbox off. After I changed the original and clutch for a LUK one and got the box back on , the clutch was making a grinding / screeching noise when I pressed the clutch so I thought that the release bearing had falled off but it seemed to be on the fork as it should be. Just put the box back on and double checked the bearing was secure and cable tied the lever , struggled for 2 hours but got the box on and its still doing the same thing - AAAAARRRGGGHHHH !

Also and this is more worrying is that I changed the o/s driveshaft at the same time for a new one and this turns at idle speed in neutral - WTF !

Could there be a connection here as I'm fresh out of ideas and ready to scap the damn thing.
Docbooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 21:29   #2
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i SX 3dr, 106 (engine swap under way), p
mechsman is on a distinguished road

Erm, silly question, are you sure you have the pressure plate in the right way round?

When you say the driveshaft turns in neutral, does the car try and move or is it just the shaft that goes round? Is it a split shaft or a 1 piece? (probably a 1 piece but gotta check)
mechsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 21:48   #3
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Cheers, yeah its a 1 piece. The cars still on axle stands and its only the drivers side rotating. Cant explain this at all !

The friciton plate was definately the right way round , I double checked this today. I had the raised section inside the pressure plate and it has the LUK logo stamped on it and also says Gearbox side.
The grinding /screeching noise occurs as I press the clutch down and it reaches it's biting point.

Does anything happen inside the gearbox as the clutch release bearing makes contact with the pressure plate ?

Totally lost on this one !
Old 29th May 2011, 22:12   #4
swampy
Banned
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 38 (100%)
swampy is on a distinguished road

You will get one wheel slowly turning when the car is off the floor, its notheing to worry about.
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 22:24   #5
Tammy_VTS
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Phase 2 Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Tammy_VTS can only hope to improve

hmmm i always thought the friction plate had "flywheel side" stamped on it !!!
Tammy_VTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 00:52   #6
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Not the ones I've changed, but that was on a 306 rather than a 106. I just matched the orientation to the one that came out.

Raised section out sounds right to me though and yeah with both wheels off the ground you will get drag through the box even in neutral. I was just checking the shaft wasn't broken at the intermediate cv joint on the 2 piece one.

Does the noise only occur at the bite point or does it continue with the clutch engaged or disengaged? or in one direction (pedal up or down)?

Another bone question, you did refill the box with the right quantity of oil after you changed the driveshaft didn't you?
Old 30th May 2011, 07:10   #7
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Cheers. Yeah its got 2 litres of fresh 75-80 in it (was starting to drip out when I tightened the filler bolt up)

About the noise (and man is it a bad grating noise). The engine idles in neutral fine , as normal. I start to press the clucth down slowly and when it reaches the point of contact (bearing to pressure plate fingers) it starts makes a very loud and unhealthy metallic grating /grinding noise which gets louder and more severe the further down I press the clutch.

I checked the bearing when I got the clutch kit and it span smoothly , it was clipped on the clutch fork both times I've fitted the box back.

It all points to the bearing but it was fine when i checked it and secured on the fork correctly so I'm completly stumped !
Old 30th May 2011, 14:08   #8
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Hmmm, very odd. As you say, sounds like something is up with the bearing. I hate to say it but you're probably going to have to take it apart again. I would slide the box back and see if you can see any witness marks on the bearing faces or the pressure plate fingers (take pics). Might give you a clue as to whats going on. Other than a knackered bearing/box or incorrectly fitted bearing/clutch I can't think what might be causing it.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:45   #9
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Cheers. Yeah third times a charm eh !

No doubt about it the Mother is gonna have to come off yet again. I'm gonna put the the original bearing back on and see if the noise stops then at least I have the culprit. The LUK bearings are diffrent to the one I removed , only a part of the bearing face turns so it would have to be flush. Also when I tested the bearing before fitting it span smoothly but not freely if that makes any sense. I'm wondering now if it is a duff bearing and as they have to go from still to 1500 rpm at idle so it should have no resistance really.
Almost got gearbox removal down to a fine art form now although getting it back is a headache but fathomed out that 2 piece of wood layed on wishbone to front chassis can really help with refitting.

Still at least I know how to change a clutch now !

Might buy a local saxo - £300 - same model 30,000 less miles and take all the good bits off this one for spares then scrap it.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:50   #10
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Yup, normally lol!

When you get the bearing out, have a really good look over it and the face of the clutch and see if you can see any marks.

I think I know what you mean about the bearing. Is it along the lines of: if you flick it, it doesn't spin loads, but you can spin it easily with your fingers?
If so, I would say that's pretty normal for a new bearing.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:14   #11
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Well the original one (national clutch I think) was a better design, the whole contact area span so even if the bearing was a little off it woild still spin but this LUK one was only a part of the bearing mating surface that moved. It moved round with finger pressure but dont think that it freely turned , maybe just cos it was new.

I'll have to check all this out when I have the box off - again ! but to be honest I can't see where the fault could be.
Old 30th May 2011, 21:52   #12
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Hmm sounds odd! Defo pics when you get it back off chap.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:41   #13
Boyes
Regular Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 GTi, Clio 172
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Boyes is on a distinguished road

I've heard that this can be gearbox main bearings, I've just changed clutch in mine and the same result again whirring/screetching sound something to do with the main bearings can get knocked out of alignment/place in my case my clutch cable snapped which may have caused this.
97' Cobalt Blue GTi, Gaz Coilovers -50mm, decat, 4-2-1 mani, flo-flex beam mounts and Arb bushes, powerflex lower engine mount, baker bm gearbox mount, vibratechnix ecu engine mount, flo-flex lower arm bushes.
Boyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 19:03   #14
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Maybe, although wouldn't that give obvious symptoms like being able to wiggle the input shaft side to side by hand?
Old 31st May 2011, 20:34   #15
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Cheers

Aye I've got a bad feeling that it could be a gearbox issue although the input shaft had no play. It's a tricky one to call as there is no noise at idle and gears all engage which usually means gearbox is Ok.

The original reason for a clutch change was that after approx 2 miles driving in traffic there was a horrendous noise when lifting up the clutch to where it would bite (no noise/issues on depressing clutch). it was similar to the noise you hear with a dodgy starter motor or if you were trying to engage the gears without using the clutch. I put this down clutch issues but in light of these problems with a new clutch i'm wondering if it could be a gearbox issue.

Not sure though how a noise like this could come from the gearbox though as when you depress the clutch and the friction plate starts to disengage from the flywheel there is no power / drive now going to the gearbox - is that correct ?

Cheers
Old 31st May 2011, 20:45   #16
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Can't remember but do these boxes have a mag plug in them somewhere? If it has, see if the plug is furry. That might point more towards a box issue.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:23   #17
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Is that the magnetic oil drain plug ?

If so this did have shavings when I renewed the gearbox oil about 6 months ago but I've heard that this is normal after so many years of use. There was none on it when I drained it last week for the clutch change
Old 5th June 2011, 13:02   #18
Docbooze
Infrequent Poster

Well now just swapped the new clutch I've just installed and put the original one back on. Still doing exactly the same very loud grinding /scraping noise when i depress the clutch pedal so looks like I can rule out the new clutch as causing the problem.
Must be a gearbox problem but i thought as you push the pedal down the input shaft comes off the power so dunno what is making the grinding noise.

I haven't put any gear linkages back on the car at the minute but cant see how that would cause this noise or am I wrong on that one.

Anyone ever experienced this before as I'm about to petrol bomb the swine !

Cheers for any advice !
Old 5th June 2011, 15:16   #19
Gareth_R
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

if you havent put the linkages back on, then how do you know its not in gear?

might have knocked the lever and the box is in gear?
Gareth_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 16:04   #20
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Sounds like it's something in the box unfortunately then . Second hand boxes are relatively cheap though so not too bad I guess.