Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 25th October 2016, 21:03   #1
Devine15
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 Quartz VTS and Mk1 Posi Blue VTS
Devine15 is on a distinguished road
Default Rust treatment, Prevention and Spraying (Painting)

Evening all,

I have been researching about the above but I'm still not sure what to do and have a few questions. I have been on PH aswell as detailing world forum.

I picked up a MK1 VTS that needs a bit of TLC (Recently sold my MK2)

I want to sort the rust first its mainly surface in usual places, engine bay etc.

I want to remove the rust treat it then use a prevention solution.
I want to try and keep the underneath and bodywork as original as possible, colour etc.
Can I use a clear waxoyl (Or any other prevention treatment) and be able to paint over it? My plan was

1) Remove all rust
2) Use a treatment solution
3) Use a prevention solution
4) Primer
5) Paint
6) Laquer
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Devine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 21:44   #2
0rang3peel
Saxperience Addict
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): 306 diesel shed broken vts
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
0rang3peel is on a distinguished road

Ok so,

remove rust and cut out back to sold metal if it's completely gone.

apply treatment to any rust areas or spots or areas you're not going to completely cut out

for treatment I recommend Vactan, Fertan or Aquasteel all the same product but different names. Far better than any kurust etc probably the best in the industry, used in the shipping industry all over the world and there the guys who know about rust. If you really wanted to spend a lot on it you could look at buzzweld products which are meant to be really good, although in my opinion they are too expensive for something like a saxo.

these products are self priming, so you can paint straight over but you could prime anyway.

You wouldn't paint over waxoyl, you would waxoyl over paint.

Last edited by 0rang3peel; 25th October 2016 at 21:47.
0rang3peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 21:57   #3
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Phosperic acid is good,clean off the loose rust.Paint the acid on and wait for it to turn black,it does not always turn black straight away so a second coat is sometimes needed.Then prime an paint in the normal way,btw wear gloves and googles because the acid is nasty stuff.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 19:12   #4
Devine15
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 Quartz VTS and Mk1 Posi Blue VTS
Devine15 is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the advice, I've ordered some Aquasteel I looked up on it looks like good stuff.

I'm gonna tackle it at the weekend, thanks for clearing it up
Devine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 19:35   #5
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Imo the best thing you can do is get rid of all the rust,then primer and paint over it or stone chip if you prefer,for all this I would highly recommend Bilt Hamber products.

For smaller items that can be taken off Deox-c will remove even heavy rust easily,if these are body panels etc then I would use Deox-Gel,for heavy rust I would use a twisted knot brush first.
For primer I would use Electrox and then Dynax-UB for stone chip or normal paint if you prefer.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote