Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 27th March 2008, 11:44   #41
Robb
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Panamera
Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!

I am running a 21 inch widescreen monitor and what youve just said about resolution is correct.

Im running the same resolution as my 20 inch monitor at home and on this one it shows alright but slightly stretched and distorted.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 11:49   #42
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

There you go mate. That's about the best way I can describe it... Annoying huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 20:49   #43
bytor
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Audi A6 Avant Quattro.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
bytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to behold

Toad, nothing wrong with your TV, I forgot about the issue with Monitors / TV's that are 16:10 (1920x1200) native, you will get this problem regardless. As your TV is 16:9 the VGA cable should sort this, as you can then run your TV's native resolution.
bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 09:09   #44
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Right guys, I've got a fairly big update here, and I would also like some more assistance if possible, as I'm still not completely convinced about some aspects.

I went to the store yesterday evening as planned, and they had an Xbox elite and a PS3 both being displayed on 2 of the same model TVs; 46" Sony Bravia's. When I saw the display of the Xbox main menu it was actually slightly worse than on my TV! And this was using HDMI - HDMI! I think the reason behind this is due to the TV being that little bit bigger than mine, and the Xbox main menu isn't programed to run in full resolution, hence all the blocky text / images. They had Forza 2 on demo, and it looked pretty crap to be honest, it was very blocky and looked generally crap IMO. But remember, Forza 2 is only a 720p game... Anyway, as I said, the PS3 was sitting right next to the Xbox, and the picture from that was fantastic. The menu was perfect, all razor sharp, so assume Sony have programed the PS3 to run if full defo in the menu system?

Right, second part to this update, and this is where I need you help big time! I bought a VGA cable for the Xbox yesterday lunchtime, as I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what the difference is between it and the component. I plugged the cable into the Xbox, and the PC type connector into the TV and fired everything up. When the Xbox started to load, it was only using a tiny area of the TV, looked quite funny. I went into the Xbox display settings, and instead of the options with the component like 720p, 1080i, 1080p, you got a list of resolution, starting from 640*480 (which it was currently on) all the way up to 1920*1080. I started choosing some of the higher resolutions, and as I did this, the image on the screen would get bigger, filling up more of the TV's size. However, I wasn't impressed with the picture quality at all, as there was a lot of ghosting of the images and text. For example, you could see like a triple image of the same letter of text, it looked very poor. Anyway, here's the big issue: When I selected 1920*1080 from the Xbox menu, my TV went blank, and it then came up with the message "Unsupported signal, check your PC settings..." How disappointing! This pretty much made the VGA cable useless, as the picture quality was worse than the component, and I couldn't even choose a resolution to fit the whole of the screen!

I thought enough was enough, so I hooked my PC up to the TV. This would take out the possibility of any issue with the Xbox or the Xbox VGA cable. When the PC booted up, it was on a resolution of 1360 * 768 and the picture was lovely. It was a proper monitor looking picture, however, it was only using about 3/4 of the TV screen. The little slider in the properties setting on my PC wouldn't allow me to choose a higher resolution. I went into my graphics card settings, where I can choose a larger range of resolution, and from there I chose the 1920 * 1080 resolution, but as soon as I chose this resolution, the TV went blank and gave the same message as with the Xbox: "Unsupported signal, check your PC settings..." So what's going on guys? My assumption is that the VGA adapter in the back of my TV is not designed to accept a higher resolution than 1360 * 768, hence why I cannot choose it from the Xbox or the PC, would you agree? Has anyone else here tried using a VGA adpater with there Xbox and setting the resolution to 1920 * 1080?

EDIT: I thought i should add... I looked in the instruction manual of my TV, and it has a list of supported VGA resolutions, and ones it recommends you use. Funnily enough, the maximum resolution was 1360 * 768! So if I have a 1920 * 1080 TV, why won't it allow that resolution through the VGA?
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Toad; 28th March 2008 at 09:14.
Old 28th March 2008, 10:08   #45
Hanuman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Hanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team member

this wont help you but...

how can a sony bravia make xbox hd crap,

i have a £600 toshiba hd and the picture is amazing on the xbox, had a ps3 ran on it and they looked NO DIFFERENT,

if i went and spent all the money on a big sony bravia and found it wouldnt work due to the tv res i would take it back tbh and get a better tv
Old 28th March 2008, 10:09   #46
Hanuman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Hanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team memberHanuman is a well respected team member

28day returns ftw
Old 28th March 2008, 10:34   #47
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

What size TV is you Toshiba?

I've just been on the phone to Sony's technical support, and the answer to the resolution query is indeed down to the limitations of the VGA adapter. The VGA adapter on the TV will not allow a greater resolution that 1360 * 768. So if I wanted to use my TV / PC at 1920 * 1080, I would need to use a DVI / HDMI connection. So if anyone is thinking of using their Xbox 360 with a VGA cable on a TV bigger than 32", think again, as you will not be able to run 1920 * 1080.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 10:41   #48
Hanuman
Saxperience Forum Bum

my tosh is 32inch
Old 28th March 2008, 10:42   #49
Paul_Collins
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): MkII White VTS
Paul_Collins has a spectacular aura aboutPaul_Collins has a spectacular aura about

I have an elite, i was running it on the standard settings (720 i think). When i changed it to 1080p with the hdmi cable the difference was immence, like you said Toad when its running on the 720 setting the text is all blurry, and its difficult to read.

My mate has the ps3 and says that the graphics are equivelent if not slightly better.

Am i right saying that only the elite has the hdmi output?

oh and i have a 40" HD 1080p Samsung TV.
Paul_Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 10:54   #50
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
my tosh is 32inch
That's my point dude. Run the Xbox on a bigger TV (such as my 40") and it looks bad, as the TV is too big for the resolution being used. A friend of mine is using his 360 on a 32" Samsung and it looks great.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 10:56   #51
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Collins View Post
I have an elite, i was running it on the standard settings (720 i think). When i changed it to 1080p with the hdmi cable the difference was immence, like you said Toad when its running on the 720 setting the text is all blurry, and its difficult to read.

My mate has the ps3 and says that the graphics are equivelent if not slightly better.

Am i right saying that only the elite has the hdmi output?

oh and i have a 40" HD 1080p Samsung TV.
I don't get it. I was looking at an Elite yesterday on a 46" TV in full 1080p and it looked crap. The main menu was really blocky. Put it on a 32" and it looks sweet.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 10:56   #52
Scattle
Saxperience Addict
South East Region Member

Car(s): Megane 225 Cup
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!

My arcade has hdmi output
Scattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 11:17   #53
Paul_Collins
Established Member

Paul_Collins has a spectacular aura aboutPaul_Collins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I don't get it. I was looking at an Elite yesterday on a 46" TV in full 1080p and it looked crap. The main menu was really blocky. Put it on a 32" and it looks sweet.
Yeah i can see what you mean, with the 1080p set up on mine and the hdmi the text is very sharp, not blurry or anything.

Double check your 360 settings, and the tv settings.

Maybe its the actual TV. When i was playing Fifa 08 without the 1080 on, and the hdmi cable, it looked like a completely different game. all the graphics looked 100 times sharper.

Samsung ftw!
Old 28th March 2008, 11:20   #54
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

But like I said, I've seen the Elite on a 46" using HDMI and it's more blocky than mine as the TV is even bigger. I don't think the Xbox menu has been designed to run in such a high resolution. If you flick down to 720p, does the main menu look any different? It doesn't make any difference whatsoever on mine...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 11:23   #55
Paul_Collins
Established Member

ill check later on tonight for you as its not set up atm.

I know its a long shot but is the TV definately 1080p compatible?

Dont really know much about TV's. I just bought one on offer and it had 1080p on it.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:30   #56
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Yeah man, it's defo 1080p. When I'm using component on the Xbox, and I choose 1080p, the TV detects the 1080p signal no probs. But If I change between 720p and 1080p, there's no difference to the main menu screen at all. If you could check that would be cool man, cheers.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 11:37   #57
Paul_Collins
Established Member

ok no prob, ill go through the xbox settings as well, im sure theres a few settings there.

Im 99% sure there is something wrong.

Just thinking now, thre is no way the text and everything be so blotchy, when playing games like COD4 the graphics are 2nd to none!
Old 28th March 2008, 11:42   #58
Hanuman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
That's my point dude. Run the Xbox on a bigger TV (such as my 40") and it looks bad, as the TV is too big for the resolution being used. A friend of mine is using his 360 on a 32" Samsung and it looks great.

my uncle runs his on a 37inch LG and he had bioshock running on it and it looked IMENSE, slightly better than me tosh tbh

im totally confused by this thread really
Old 28th March 2008, 11:43   #59
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

I must admit, the text in COD4 looks much better than the game menu! But the actual gaming in COD4 didn't exactly leave me thinking it was anything special. Maybe I'm just being fussy, lol. But I'm certian that when in the game, if you look into the background (for example) the scenery is very low detail, looks blocky...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28th March 2008, 11:45   #60
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
my uncle runs his on a 37inch LG and he had bioshock running on it and it looked IMENSE, slightly better than me tosh tbh

im totally confused by this thread really
I'm confused too.
Quote:
Quote: