Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 22nd May 2011, 10:19   #1
mangojace
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberSouth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 12 (93%)
mangojace is on a distinguished road
Default Satchshift?

Is it worth the money then? As my compbrake is complete crap,collar popped of on track at stupid speed.So want something better?
mangojace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:22   #2
Steffrallye
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot S2 106 GTi 1.6 16v
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Steffrallye is on a distinguished road

it is a nice bit of kit, but cheapy made for £300. If you have the skills you probably can knock something up better for cheaper
Steffrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:01   #3
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffrallye View Post
it is a nice bit of kit, but cheapy made for £300. If you have the skills you probably can knock something up better for cheaper
you have one? Whats cheap about it? We will pass on the feedback if theres a problem.
Nothing but happy customers so far from the Satchshifts we have sold. We are selling them to motorsport teams around the world with nothing but good feedback. They are putting them through harsher use that anyone just doing trackdays.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:23   #4
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

If i had the choice id buy a b&m

I dont think a satshift will be much fun on the road in a daily but ive not experienced its just my thoughts so i cannot fully comment the b&m is a fair bit cheaper and works very well without cutting the bulkhead and loosing the centre console and window switches need movimg ect
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:46   #5
Steffrallye
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
you have one? Whats cheap about it? We will pass on the feedback if theres a problem.
Nothing but happy customers so far from the Satchshifts we have sold. We are selling them to motorsport teams around the world with nothing but good feedback. They are putting them through harsher use that anyone just doing trackdays.

Yes i do have one, before you was even selling them if im right. The kit is good overall as i say, works great, is soild and does a much better job than the standard linkage. But for £300 odd i was expecting better qualitly, cheap steel tube quickly welded together and roughly powder coated. main things that cost is the joints. I understand that they have to make money and are trying to make this as cheap as possible so that people can afford one. I was just excepting better from Colin.
I just say that if you have the skill you can buy better materials and knock one up ur self for cheaper.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:46   #6
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

OEM parts:

Gear Selection Link Bar £57
Gear Selection Controller £38
Short Gear Selector Rod x 2 £38
Long Gear Selector Rod £15
Gear Stick £16
Gear Gaitor £10
Gearnob £45

All OEM prices Total: £219 + £40 for a shit quickshift or £125 for a B&M

To say it replaces all of this OEM equipment for £300 I think its good value for money!

Last edited by Mochachino; 22nd May 2011 at 12:49.
Mochachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:47   #7
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Yes i do have one, before you was even selling them if im right. The kit is good overall as i say, works great, is soild and does a much better job than the standard linkage. But for £300 odd i was expecting better qualitly, cheap steel tube quickly welded together and roughly powder coated. main things that cost is the joints. I understand that they have to make money and are trying to make this as cheap as possible so that people can afford one. I was just excepting better from Colin.
I just say that if you have the skill you can buy better materials and knock one up ur self for cheaper.
Do you think its worth £80 over the standard setup?

Rather cheap id say!
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:52   #8
Steffrallye
Established Member

it could be much better for £300 tho, stainless for starters would have been nice.

Alot of the standard parts are better qualitly so will cost more eg the knob leather and alloy over a piece of nylon bolted on.
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:57   #9
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

+ 1 to steffrallye really. It is a nice bit of kit but my mate bought one to use as template to make his out of stainless and cost him way less than £300 even with fabrication and the kit car nylon knob.

i also agree with parts could be upgraded to better materials such as stainless steel and a aluminium gear knob or at least made into a optional extra.

But as said for the 300 quid to completely get rid of the standard items it's a pretty good deal.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:59   #10
qrty
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorWest Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
qrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of light

The Satchshift is an awesome bit of kit, way better than the B&M I had before! It's so much easier to put into gears than the B&M, yet still feels solid! I've always felt the position of B&M/Standard gearstick was a bit low which the Satchshift nicely addresses! I'm not saying the B&M is rubbish, far from it....but the Satchshift is better!

Regarding price, I think its a fair considering the design work gone into it and Colin having to make each kit by hand!
qrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:58   #11
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedford126 View Post
+ 1 to steffrallye really. It is a nice bit of kit but my mate bought one to use as template to make his out of stainless and cost him way less than £300 even with fabrication and the kit car nylon knob.

i also agree with parts could be upgraded to better materials such as stainless steel and a aluminium gear knob or at least made into a optional extra.

But as said for the 300 quid to completely get rid of the standard items it's a pretty good deal.
But think about the design and development gone into the original. bargain i say. its the same with cad software. £20K for a fucking cd. yes. but the development and man hours gone into that software is immense.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:29   #12
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamskiTNR View Post
But think about the design and development gone into the original. bargain i say. its the same with cad software. £20K for a fucking cd. yes. but the development and man hours gone into that software is immense.
Dont get me wrong mate it's a immense bit of kit and never felt a gear change like it. Just the brackets and linkages could be made from better materials such as stainless or atleast have the option there for those who want it.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 18:17   #13
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

I take it you are factoring time as a cost as well here? Someone has to make them therefore time costs money. The powdercoating looks fine to me on the ones we have. Comparable to any work i've seen, but yes stainless would be nice. It has to be worth someones while to make it otherwise it wont exist in the first place.
Old 22nd May 2011, 18:20   #14
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
If i had the choice id buy a b&m

I dont think a satshift will be much fun on the road in a daily but ive not experienced its just my thoughts so i cannot fully comment the b&m is a fair bit cheaper and works very well without cutting the bulkhead and loosing the centre console and window switches need movimg ect
Its not for road cars though people will fit it to such.
Theres more cosmetically pleasing options like the B&M
Old 29th May 2011, 16:52   #15
Sandy309
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 XSi
Sandy309 is on a distinguished road

Stainless would be heavier and more prone to cracking. We developed these kits for competition use. Developed is an important word, it accounts for the 10 years or so behind these kits and tested is another good word that can't be apllied to alot of the other aftermarket stuff about.

Colin never intended these to be used for road cars or show and shine; he's done his best to provide a good finish and make it easier to fit into trimmed cars, but the priority always was (as is the case with everything we put together), for it to work and solve the mechanical problems with the alternatives.
Sandy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 17:25   #16
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

I was in no way saying the kit wasnt good as said ive not used one of seen one close enough to pass judgement on quality i was just pointing out the ONLY TINY issue i cam see with the kit

a friend of mines looking at one for his ax and if he does ill look at how i can combat the loss of console as i use mine a lot but the car gets lots of fast road use it could be beneficial in it but i just said in a trimmed road car imo a b&m was a better option

On a track car then yes id probably not hesitate on this
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 17:58   #17
mark1311
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Be scirocco, full on 03plate track spec Saxo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
mark1311 is on a distinguished road

i have one and i love it tbh, i mean am in the trade so i could make them off the design of my own for customers, but for 300 quid i realli cant be bothered i wud much rather just buy one off sandy tbh. onli thing i would say to change guys is the bolts you use in them, myn got abit of water splashed about on it and the bolts have got surface rust on changed myn for stainless but thts just me been a bi of a whore lol.

must have for any real track car.
mark1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 22:13   #18
slammed106
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
slammed106 is on a distinguished road

hmmm some dubious comments raised here... being in a fairly unique situation i`ll say my thoughts..

when i first contacted Colin about making a kit for these only Dave Kift had 1 in his race 106.. over the next year i pestered the feck out of colin about developing a kit until finally he offered to help me out with a few dimensions/tube sizes/pointers.. from then on it was entirely up to me to finalise the design.. work out rocker sizes to accomadate enough actuation with minimum stick movement.. work out position up the stick for the linkage to pick up.. work out and develop the mount off the bulkhead in the engine bay.. etc etc etc etc.. doing it for myself it was merely a case of time and the price of some rod ends but what i will say is this.. if i was doing it for someone else it`d be a **** sight more than £300 sheets...

if i was in the position now of wanting 1 and the kits are available i wouldnt even entertain the idea of making 1 from scratch...
slammed106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:28   #19
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
You made a thread not so long ago about knowing someone whos a machinest and can get most parts made, if you think you can make one of the same quality and less or one of higher quality for £300 why don't you get your mate to have a go?
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 21:23   #20
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Black Corsa C SRi
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

looks like a very impressive piece of kit to me. im sure one will find its way onto the saxo i inevitable buy when i get my licence back