Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 6th June 2014, 17:02   #1
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

ashj22 is on a distinguished road
Default Thermostat issue?

hi, 1998 saxo vtr blacktop engine. i took the bottom hose of my rad to drain all the coolant, i went to start filling it up with water and it took 1.5 litres of water and its full right up i know it takes much more than this, any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks
ashj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 17:14   #2
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj22 View Post
hi, 1998 saxo vtr blacktop engine. i took the bottom hose of my rad to drain all the coolant, i went to start filling it up with water and it took 1.5 litres of water and its full right up i know it takes much more than this, any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks
You need to bleed the system, search the forum on how to bleed the system!
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 17:16   #3
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

it is a new rad 1-2 months old when it was done it was all bled properly by a mechanic, then 2 days ago this.

was driving my car then all of a sudden the temp needle started going through the roof it heated right up to the red but no light came on, i pulled over opened the bonnet and there was water leaking out from the rad, so i waited for the engine to cool right down then started driving again it took about 1-2 mins before the needle was at the top again. i pulled over again checked the coolant level it was really low so to get me home abour a mile away i just put a litre of water in started driving off then it did the exact same thing.

so do i need a new rad, the rad that is in it is about 2 months old or do i just need to drain it refill with water and antifreeze?

Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 17:27   #4
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

it wasn't bled properly. air was stuck in the matrix I would imagine... take it back to the "mechanic" and ask them to do It properly or do it yourself..

Drain > flush > fill > bleed correctly
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 17:37   #5
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

if was not bled properly surely it would of showed itself before a month.
Old 6th June 2014, 18:06   #6
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 520bhp Honda Jazz
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!

The air will have been working its way upwards, to make an air lock...

Take the thermostat out and slap a new one in, for the sake of a tenner, then refill, and bleed the system yourself.. Loads of guides on here how to do it, and on a saxo, no joke, it's literally taking 4 valve caps off, and putting them back on, lowest to highest..

Life's a bitch, then you die.
smiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 18:07   #7
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road
Default Thermostat issue?

To properly flush the system take the top hose off the stat housing and remove the thermostat then you can flush it with a hose pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 18:40   #8
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

just went to bleed it took the 3 bled screws off had the heaters on full had the engine running let it heat upto 3/4 of the way on the temp gauge and both the bottom and top rad hoses stayed cold, so now does it look like its the thermostat?
Old 6th June 2014, 19:00   #9
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

If you search there's a proper method for bleeding using a bottle and it's real easy. Follow that buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote