Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

View Poll Results: Do you download music illegally?
Yes 29 74.36%
Nooooo 2 5.13%
Used to 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th June 2010, 21:41   #1
TomBob
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Posi East Coast, Black Mk2 VTR
TomBob is on a distinguished road
Default Poll: Illegal Music Downloading

Does anyone on here do it? I used to use Limewire but just use iTunes now.

Also what does everyone make of the whole thing to cut people off who download illegally?
TomBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 22:05   #2
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

It's bollocks. Unprovable unless they seize your hard drive, for that they'd need a court order. Which is possible. However, you can claim someone leeched your wireless.

Also, when we had a letter from a company called 'Daveport Lyons' it was addressed to my mum, the person who the broadband is in the name of. However, if it was me that did it () (it being a game by Atari), it isn't justice to bring criminal proceedings against someone who isn't the perpetrator. I don't care what they say, just because the broadband is in your name, doesn't make you accountable.

Also, I think it is very unlikely they will go after people who download individual tracks, albums (and often) - more likely. Simply because of volume. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult to send cease and desist letters to 50,000 people with an out of court settlement fee of say £500 (which ours was). But I don't think they could push through all those cases. also because of the defences highlighted above.

As for cutting people off, I do believe they'll do that..

However.. go buy a 'wireless dongle' from one of the mobile phone companies... That's the way the internet will go in 20 years I reckon anyway.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:15   #3
liam-o
Established Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
liam-o is on a distinguished road

some ISPs now have packet comparison...

this obviously compares what your downloading (the data itself) against known copyright data and then approved locations for this data to come from...

obviously they cant monitor everyone and everything... so make the most of it
liam-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 22:48   #4
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

I don't but do know a few people who have had letters from there ISP but that's about it. Including my work when some one managed to log on to our Wifi. If you do get letters from your ISP you can always just change them. But then saying that with a bit of know how you can get around any ISP tracking.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 23:53   #5
liam-o
Established Member

liam-o is on a distinguished road

Never had a letter :-) yay go me
liam-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 00:04   #6
TomBob
Established Member

Just got some music for free tonight

Basically found the song I wanted on youtube in the best quality I could find, then went onto this website and downloaded it from there. It's only 128kbs but it's free Considering Limewire or Mininova though. Could get a lot of stuff at 328kbs or something like that on there.

The website is http://www.vidtomp3.com/
Old 5th June 2010, 00:34   #7
bald24
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 1.1i '51
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
bald24 is on a distinguished road

I plan to keep using piratebay, limewire etc until I get a warning letter, then stop
bald24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 01:23   #8
CraigLovelock
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): TT 225, Charged Eunos
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CraigLovelock is on a distinguished road

Its not so much the downloaders... but the uploaders.

There the sharers of the illegal files.

Meh.
CraigLovelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 01:35   #9
Dave89
Established Member
Ireland Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI, VW Golf GT TDI ,Rover 214
Dave89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigLovelock View Post

Meh.
+1 on this.
I generally use Pirate bay to download the occasional album or film and then just purchase single tracks off of iTunes
Dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 02:43   #10
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
It's bollocks. Unprovable unless they seize your hard drive, for that they'd need a court order. Which is possible. However, you can claim someone leeched your wireless.

Also, when we had a letter from a company called 'Daveport Lyons' it was addressed to my mum, the person who the broadband is in the name of. However, if it was me that did it () (it being a game by Atari), it isn't justice to bring criminal proceedings against someone who isn't the perpetrator. I don't care what they say, just because the broadband is in your name, doesn't make you accountable.

Also, I think it is very unlikely they will go after people who download individual tracks, albums (and often) - more likely. Simply because of volume. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult to send cease and desist letters to 50,000 people with an out of court settlement fee of say £500 (which ours was). But I don't think they could push through all those cases. also because of the defences highlighted above.

As for cutting people off, I do believe they'll do that..

However.. go buy a 'wireless dongle' from one of the mobile phone companies... That's the way the internet will go in 20 years I reckon anyway.
We had a letter from them too, didnt pay either and also turns out the company they actually use to find our ip address etc is from a flat in london with 2 employees a man n a woman and theyre both immigrants

Just a scam really and bet theyve made thousands out of it.
Old 5th June 2010, 03:05   #11
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
We had a letter from them too, didnt pay either and also turns out the company they actually use to find our ip address etc is from a flat in london with 2 employees a man n a woman and theyre both immigrants

Just a scam really and bet theyve made thousands out of it.
Lol, all that dirrrrtttyyy dubstep you download? .

Yeah, we just didn't pay, and sent recorded letters denying it, after about three letters they stopped corresponding. I wouldn't recommend ignoring them, but that's what I will do if it happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigLovelock View Post

Meh.
Very true. I'm not sure on the specifics of the law, but uploading is the sharing part. You are infringing copyright by sharing (torrents, seeding etc), but downloading is different. What I would say is, although ISPs can track what you're doing. Downloading from a website such as megaupload, there are very, very, very slim chances that you will be caught from just a straight download.

As AXracing says - That wasn't his fault, but it will have his name/business on the letter, and him that will be 'accountable'. Which I think, is bullshit.

The example I always use is this, if your friend buys a film, and you go round there house and watch it, you haven't paid, you're getting it for free, but how isn't that copyrighted? - You haven't paid (now I do know that there is a disclaimer that says it's not for public showing) 'Home Use'. Well so's my copyrighted material. I'm not publically sharing it. So privately? What if I Bluetooth someone else a song on from my phone to theirs? Is that copyright?

Listening to music on YouTube, that certainly isn't copyright (well, if the publishers have uploaded it, obviously people do upload copyrighted material , and you'll notice a claim/no audio, a message like "Due to a copyright claim from Sony, the audio is this video has been cut". You are streaming the data, just not saving it, they can't tell if you have saved it, it's still the same data. I do this occasionally.

Then there's fair use. For example, a remix of a song (depending on circumstance) isn't copyrighted (well it can be, by the DJ, but the original artist with whose song has been remixed does not own the remix, despite it containing content from their song).

It's a minefield, and in a typical British/Well, generally governmental way, they will blanket ban it (it being copyright infringement, well, not ban as it's already banned , but close all avenues), rather than doing it probably. I don't know what the proper way is. But I don't think it will ever stop now, has come too far.

What irritates me is, companies can sue you for huge amounts of money for copyright infringement, yet someone on an assault charge may get a £50 fine for compensation to the victim and a warning. I know this is a different kettle of fish (civil and criminal), but assaulting someone is far, far worse, and deserves a much larger punishment than bloody copyright infringement. (I know 'worse' is subjective) but I think most people would agree with me. My survey however, remains incomplete, or even started.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:25   #12
DynamoXreme
Infrequent Poster

DynamoXreme is on a distinguished road

I have a youtube converter. So turns videos into a MP3 file. Less chance of getting caught.
DynamoXreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:17   #13
peebee
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR MK2
peebee is on a distinguished road

As you can download youtube now, you can get anything for free now! The legal boundaries are so loose these days, who knows whats right or wrong!

I guess theres meant to be a sig here somewhere!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:55   #14
TomBob
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoXreme View Post
I have a youtube converter. So turns videos into a MP3 file. Less chance of getting caught.
That's what I've done on a few songs this weekend, but the quality just isn't there on some songs. May go back to iTunes I think.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:03   #15
Gary-VTR
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): EG Civic Turbo & CRX Del Sol VTi
Gary-VTR is on a distinguished road

Yes + no.
Only download music now if I can't find it on Spotify.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:25   #16
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

peer block FTW.
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 23:50   #17
Dave89
Established Member
Ireland Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI, VW Golf GT TDI ,Rover 214
Dave89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBob View Post
That's what I've done on a few songs this weekend, but the quality just isn't there on some songs. May go back to iTunes I think.
http://www.video2mp3.net/ Try that link.
If you switch to convert to High Quality the sound quality is just as good as itunes
Dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:01   #18
SamW
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Tuna Can
iTrader Score: 11 (92%)
SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!SamW is absolutely fabulous!
Default Poll: Illegal Music Downloading

I do not agree with it...

Ignore my eminem album leaked thread
SamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 17:22   #19
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave89 View Post
http://www.video2mp3.net/ Try that link.
If you switch to convert to High Quality the sound quality is just as good as itunes
+1, That's ace. Been using it for a while. Make sure you tick High Quality. Should default as that tbh .
Old 9th June 2010, 18:48   #20
Mark51p
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Golf GT
iTrader Score: 28 (100%)
Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!

Up and coming artists do need support which is mainly through people buying their records. If i like an artist that much i will support them by purchasing a song, but the majority of the music i listen to is mixed that many times there is about 15 people involved by the end so they are ripped!
Mark51 is offline   Reply With Quote