Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 6th December 2011, 19:36   #301
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Bump

More talk of tuning please.

Talk about s/c, turbo an tb's to your hearts content
Old 6th December 2011, 20:36   #302
Tom5190
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v Desire
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Tom5190 is on a distinguished road

Finally a thread that isnt completly full of pathetic posts

For me if i was building myself a saxo/106 it would be completly down to budget and the function i wanted the car for. Ive experienced both, 340bhp turbo 106 and a 210bhp ITB 106 and ive got to say the turbo did nothing compared to being sat in the 106 at almost 9000rpm. Boddies make me sex wee and if money was no object then i would be going down that route. I love track driving and an N/A setup with a really good chassis/sus/brake setup would be my choice. However if i was a drag fanatic and wanted all out straight line quater mile monster then i would be going for boost. I cant say ive driven any TU with an S/C so cant comment on that really.

As said boddies are a nice gimic for noise if you fitting them to something with mild cam's, but if i could get a setup cheap enough i no i would be putting some on mine (im still on hydo lifters + standard bottom end) Personally though if i was building with new parts i would want a nice wild cam profile with alot of headwork before i spent over 1K on boddies.
Old 6th December 2011, 21:51   #303
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Bit of a random one but in the lorry i use 2nd gear to launch quicker than using first as you just build up the revs hold the boost and launch meaning no gear change do people use this in drag racing?

My thoughts?

Just wait till the next RS Clio comes out and is supercharged and hear the whole worl d bitch about it hard!
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:17   #304
Tom5190
Saxperience Post Whore

Yea people do set off in second sometimes in drag
Old 6th December 2011, 22:23   #305
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Proper drag cars will always start in 1st, as their gearing will be made for drag.
Normally cars that set off in 2nd are cars with huge low down torque like v8's or s/c cars.

Joe, isn't the new renaultsport turbocharged?

Tom, that's an interesting opinion. Shows how different engines appeal To different people. My car now it's turbocharged gives me much more of a thrill than when it was on throttle bodies. Perhaps cause I've driven so Many very high power n/a cars the turbo power delivery just gives me a great sensation. Nothing like coming on boost and having that surge of torque pin you in the seat..
Old 6th December 2011, 22:25   #306
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

I meant turbocharged yeah.

Though im not sure its been confirmed yet. Expect 197 prices to hit bottom when it does come out haha!
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:27   #307
Tom5190
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
Proper drag cars will always start in 1st, as their gearing will be made for drag.
Normally cars that set off in 2nd are cars with huge low down torque like v8's or s/c cars.

Joe, isn't the new renaultsport turbocharged?

Tom, that's an interesting opinion. Shows how different engines appeal To different people. My car now it's turbocharged gives me much more of a thrill than when it was on throttle bodies. Perhaps cause I've driven so Many very high power n/a cars the turbo power delivery just gives me a great sensation. Nothing like coming on boost and having that surge of torque pin you in the seat..
Yea the surge is always good, when i was in matt's 205gti-6 turbo that had me holding onto my seat, especially on the back roads around the ring! But i dont no what it is im just a sucker for the noise of boddies, My favourite car we have built (which i wasnt there for unfortunatly) is a 306bhp N/A 205Gti-6 that thing is savage!
Old 6th December 2011, 22:34   #308
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

No doubt about it, a 300hp 205 wether it be turbo or n/a be absolutely rapid!

See, I'd be more impressed with n/a if more power and torque could be had (in 106/Saxo) hence me really wanting someone to use a duratec engine in a Saxo. I think it would make for a great conversion. For me, I wanted to make the as fast as possible ad the best way is forced induction.

Bodies sound great, especially on a highly strung car with solid lifters.
But for me, the sound of turbo spool, screamer pipe, wastegate chatter, dump valve, turbo stall etc makes for a symphony of noise.
Old 6th December 2011, 22:41   #309
Tom5190
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
No doubt about it, a 300hp 205 wether it be turbo or n/a be absolutely rapid!

See, I'd be more impressed with n/a if more power and torque could be had (in 106/Saxo) hence me really wanting someone to use a duratec engine in a Saxo. I think it would make for a great conversion. For me, I wanted to make the as fast as possible ad the best way is forced induction.

Bodies sound great, especially on a highly strung car with solid lifters.
But for me, the sound of turbo spool, screamer pipe, wastegate chatter, dump valve, turbo stall etc makes for a symphony of noise.
Haha yea that is one good symphony!

I no what you mean about the lack of power from them as an N/A, you can get twice the power with almost the same price tag with a turbo. A duratec would be good, ive always wanted to see the one with the C20LET in it to see what thats like.

When i was up at RS tuning on tuesday one of the lads who works there 'specky' has that 700+bhp tigra that tends to be at pod 24/7. That was pretty impressive like i must say.
Old 6th December 2011, 22:42   #310
stevo1600
Established Member

Car(s): cammed 106 flatty
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
stevo1600 is on a distinguished road

Ok I want to know if I should bother running a water injector kit.

I have the loom/driver. I'll be running a gt28rs turbo on vtr lump with decomp+ standalone.

Stock internals.

I know the pistons don't like heat so I'm thinking of pushing the turbo more and using water injection will this let me gain more power?

Also I only need the water tank and injector. Have everything else already.
stevo1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:44   #311
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

What sort of bhp are people getting out of the 2.0 duratec engines on bodies in na form?

They heavy engines? Couldnt imagine a huge amount of work to put one in a saxo - if they fit in kitcars then must easily fit a saxo engine bay
Old 6th December 2011, 22:47   #312
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1600 View Post
Ok I want to know if I should bother running a water injector kit.

I have the loom/driver. I'll be running a gt28rs turbo on vtr lump with decomp+ standalone.

Stock internals.

I know the pistons don't like heat so I'm thinking of pushing the turbo more and using water injection will this let me gain more power?

Also I only need the water tank and injector. Have everything else already.
Steve, what boost are you planning on using with this gr28rs? That's a 360hp turbo lol what clutch are you using?
Old 6th December 2011, 22:48   #313
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
What sort of bhp are people getting out of the 2.0 duratec engines on bodies in na form?

They heavy engines? Couldnt imagine a huge amount of work to put one in a saxo - if they fit in kitcars then must easily fit a saxo engine bay
Depends on your budget.

I've seen some 250-300 bhp completely fresh crate engines go for about 10k lol
Old 6th December 2011, 22:51   #314
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post

Ross, sbd are seeing 315bhp staying with 2.0... I'm sure with the 2.3 more could be had. With just headwork,cams, bodies you can see 220bhp. They use solid lifters as standard and are poss the lightest engine apart from bike/special/k-series I've ever weighed.

All alluminium so the are light, ford so there will be a mass of trick bits available. It's just begging for a 106 conversion lol
Old 6th December 2011, 22:57   #315
stevo1600
Established Member

Quote:
Steve, what boost are you planning on using with this gr28rs? That's a 360hp turbo lol what clutch are you using?
I want to use a turbo like that as its not going to be working very hard at all.. So intake temps will be lower. Pressure wise, I'd like to see how far I could go. Im not aiming for figures. I just thought water injection would be nice to keep temps down, and pistons cool. But with very good power.

Do you think the turbo I've chosen is the wrong decision? Clutch will be replaced as mine is rated to 200 bhp. And I aim to smash that. 300bhp rated clutch would be more than fine.
Old 6th December 2011, 23:05   #316
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1600 View Post
I want to use a turbo like that as its not going to be working very hard at all.. So intake temps will be lower. Pressure wise, I'd like to see how far I could go. Im not aiming for figures. I just thought water injection would be nice to keep temps down, and pistons cool. But with very good power.

Do you think the turbo I've chosen is the wrong decision? Clutch will be replaced as mine is rated to 200 bhp. And I aim to smash that. 300bhp rated clutch would be more than fine.
Yea, I dont believe that to be the best choice for your application. You will only heat the charge temps excessively when your working the turbo out of it's efficiency range. I doubt that turbo would make 1bar before after 5k.... An on a vtr that only leaves you with around 1k power band... Basically useless.
Tell me what power you want an I'll have a look into what I think would be suitable.
As regards to clutches, my clutch isn't even rated to 300hp really.. For a genuine 300lbs ft rated clutch it's going to coat you around £700+ for a twin plate type.

I've read up on water injection but yet to make up my mind on it. Probably good to talk to some tuning company's who have used it.
Old 6th December 2011, 23:06   #317
raunchz
Saxperience Addict

raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ross, sbd are seeing 315bhp staying with 2.0... I'm sure with the 2.3 more could be had. With just headwork,cams, bodies you can see 220bhp. They use solid lifters as standard and are poss the lightest engine apart from bike/special/k-series I've ever weighed.

All alluminium so the are light, ford so there will be a mass of trick bits available. It's just begging for a 106 conversion lol
Talk about planting an idea!!

My problem is that to buy and build up a saxo to take a 300bhp duratec, I could build up a kitcar with a 250bhp duratec for cheaper and itd be a lot quicker.

If I already had a saxo with cage/4pots/buckets/harnesses etc then itd be a different storey. I didnt realise the duratec was such a good engine!!
Old 6th December 2011, 23:11   #318
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Duratec engine is one of my favorites, I've driven a few westfields with circa 300hp and sequential box's and it makes for a rapid car as you can imagine.
But very expensive. For a 300hp+ engine expect to pay upwards of 10k
Westfield used to buy dunnel and scholar engines which are very expensive but good.

If you don't fit a duratec to a Saxo/106 then I will eventually lol.

There are that many people breaking cars now there are bargains to be had so no excuse!
Old 6th December 2011, 23:16   #319
stevo1600
Established Member

I'm not chasing figures, but as you have asked. I would like said turbo to be able to push me beyond 200 ATF without it struggling its tits off. Early spool is important as you say.

I guess my clutch will be fine then. If yours can take 250@ wheels lol.
Old 6th December 2011, 23:17   #320
raunchz
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Duratec engine is one of my favorites, I've driven a few westfields with circa 300hp and sequential box's and it makes for a rapid car as you can imagine.
But very expensive. For a 300hp+ engine expect to pay upwards of 10k
Westfield used to buy dunnel and scholar engines which are very expensive but good.

If you don't fit a duratec to a Saxo/106 then I will eventually lol.

There are that many people breaking cars now there are bargains to be had so no excuse!
Lol, can see me renting a flat for the next 10years as,i've spunked my house deposit on a 250bhp duratec kitcar/saxo.

Yates saxo would be ideal to buy and drop a duratec in!