Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 1st March 2011, 07:30   #1
mdavies172
L-plater

Car(s): Citroen Saxo SX 1.1
mdavies172 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Saxo VS. 206

Hey guys, at the moment i own a citroen saxo 1.1 sx, which is has slight body work damage. Im thinking of buying a new car because of repair costs. The thing I dont like about the saxo is I feel every bump in the road, and on large bumps sometimes my steering wheel jolts left or right which then I have to correct the movment. Anyway, im thinking of buying a 206.. are these better cars for a smoother drive and easier to "mod" ?
mdavies172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 07:41   #2
Dom
Saxperience Post Whore
Central Counties Region Member

iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Dom is on a distinguished road

Same car mechanically.

Still French and still shit. Want reliability? Speak to Hitlers finest engineers, i.e. Vw.

IMO, 206 is more modern yes, but it looks ugly as fuck. Go for a better Saxo like a VTR or S, im sure the Steering problem you have is down to some sort of strut/trackrod/ds/wishbone problem. So yep, R or S is your best option
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:22   #3
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

I prefer the Saxo/106 to the 206 but that was just because there lighter, more nimble and cheaper to run. Also LOL at WV being reliable or any of the VAR range. There no better then French cars these days. Engine failing, electronic problem galore, Gearbox problems, drive shafts failing the works. When I was getting a new work van the general consensus was don't go WV as it's a matter of when not if they have a catastrophic failure. My friends WV Golf lunched its engine just last year from nothing more then driving on a wet day. Out old works Seat made my old Fiat look reliable. I can go on and on Get Japanese if your after reliability As for there throttle pedal getting stuck down its actually the same part fitted it many other brands of cars and they all had the same problem but for some reason it was only Toyota that made the news about it, Unfair r what ?
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:27   #4
vtr-barn
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR
vtr-barn is on a distinguished road

206 is a womens car unless you get a GTI. personally hate them as ive seen the effects and aftermath of a head on collision doin 65mph in one. Not good
vtr-barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:42   #5
Jonny52002
Frequent Poster

Car(s): '01 Ford Focus TDCi No More Saxo :(
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Jonny52002 is on a distinguished road

I had a 206 as a rental for 2 days and it was rubbish, gearbox is awful and it is pig ugly.

Most fords now are pretty reliable, a newish Fiesta maybe ?
Jonny52002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 09:14   #6
coleman258
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Astra van daily Black Saxo VTR 16v'd kent PT51
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
coleman258 is on a distinguished road

206 has as many problems as a saxo, best sticking with the saxo.

EDIT: when you lower 206's its common you get gearbox troubles.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:31   #7
TomT
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
TomT is on a distinguished road

heard nothing but bad about 206's and I've know a few people that have owned them.

they're also ugly as shit.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:40   #8
char69lie
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 00 Silver 106GTi
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
char69lie is on a distinguished road

I owned a 206.. They are sluggish.. Corner like a boat.. And they have as many niggly problems as the saxo!
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
slow as poss so all the pre teens register eye contact, windows down so I can exchange my Bebo address
char69lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:22   #9
MrChris
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 VTR
MrChris is on a distinguished road

My mates owns a 206 and the body work is like paper... its super thin and i can push his roof and bonnet down with 1 finger.

His exhaust fell off about 2 weeks ago and needed a new cat. His fam bought it for him so not his choice, but buy a newer car or a saxo R/S
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:23   #10
Squeak_
Frequent Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): (2000) black VTR
Squeak_ is on a distinguished road

both the saxo and 206 are gne be bumpy and fall apart, as when it comes down to it there both made by the same people
Quote:
Originally Posted by W103_A5H View Post
short and glows an orangy colour?
Squeak_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:25   #11
Technics_1210
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): T reg VTR, Facelift Corolla T sport
Technics_1210 is on a distinguished road

Stick with the saxos
Technics_1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 12:12   #12
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracing View Post
I prefer the Saxo/106 to the 206 but that was just because there lighter, more nimble and cheaper to run. Also LOL at WV being reliable or any of the VAR range. There no better then French cars these days. Engine failing, electronic problem galore, Gearbox problems, drive shafts failing the works. When I was getting a new work van the general consensus was don't go WV as it's a matter of when not if they have a catastrophic failure. My friends WV Golf lunched its engine just last year from nothing more then driving on a wet day. Out old works Seat made my old Fiat look reliable. I can go on and on Get Japanese if your after reliability As for there throttle pedal getting stuck down its actually the same part fitted it many other brands of cars and they all had the same problem but for some reason it was only Toyota that made the news about it, Unfair r what ?
Hmm, my passat is on 189k and still running strong... it's really nice to drive. I suspect it may need a new drive shaft, but they aren't gonna last forever are they.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 12:41   #13
mdavies172
L-plater

Basiclly im looking for a decent car (Il spend about £2000) just a good reliable and smooth drive car, easy to mod (as i would like to learn myself) but cannot be 1.4 or higher because il be a new driver and insurance is alot. Dman it, dno what to do.,
Old 1st March 2011, 12:50   #14
ChAdS
Established Member

ChAdS is on a distinguished road

for a new driver 1.1 is about your limit why dont you just spent alittle on your saxo to put it right and keep it for 1-2 years get a couple of no claims then buy a new car then.
ChAdS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 15:17   #15
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

His exhaust fell off about 2 weeks ago and needed a new cat.
But surely a exhaust can fall off any car?

They look ok. If any id go for the GTI 180....

Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 15:21   #16
Jonny52002
Frequent Poster

Car(s): '01 Ford Focus TDCi No More Saxo :(
Jonny52002 is on a distinguished road

Could get a decent 98 ish focus as a 1.4 I think, would image theres plenty of easy mods for them and pretty much bullet proof. Might suffer on insurance though.
Jonny52002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 16:34   #17
mdavies172
L-plater

Hmm, not to sure what to do tbh. I do like my saxo dont get me wrong but theres just so many things im picky on you know! :/
I feel everybump in the road and sometimes my wheel jolts a diffrent direction (surley thats not right), my boot is out of alignment so its gonna cost me £500 to put on a jig to fix and to replace drivers door and tailgate to get the dents out. Indicator needs replacing, brakes need replacing, not too sure about the exhaust its VERY loud.. dont know if i like it that loud you know. Just its abit downhearting having a car like that... :/ Handbrake needs replacing... mayb look for a diff car or even buy a newer saxo what has not got ANY mods on and I could start from fresh? Its just a shame because its only done 52k miles. The car was £500 when i bought it.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:08   #18
CHIP
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Astra Coupe Edition 100
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
CHIP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracing View Post
Also LOL at WV being reliable or any of the VAR range. There no better then French cars these days.
Lol, we had a count up today at my dad's work. There were more broken German car's than anything else. Infact there were nearly as many Jap as French!