Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 23rd March 2015, 15:38   #1
Adsy

Car(s): Saxo mk2 VTR
Adsy is on a distinguished road
Default Is there any hope for a starter motor that sticks?

I'm pretty sure that my starter motor is sticking when the car is left idle for a couple days and in cold weather.

Is there anything I can do to it to help keep it running smoother? aside from just using it more often?

Maybe some sort of oil or lubricant?

Just trying to look at possible alternatives before buying a new one
Adsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:01   #2
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsy View Post
I'm pretty sure that my starter motor is sticking when the car is left idle for a couple days and in cold weather.

Is there anything I can do to it to help keep it running smoother? aside from just using it more often?

Maybe some sort of oil or lubricant?

Just trying to look at possible alternatives before buying a new one
We just had this conversation

hit it with a hammer when it sticks until the new one arrives. Spraying anything in it is a bad idea.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:09   #3
Adsy

Car(s): Saxo mk2 VTR
Adsy is on a distinguished road

ha! I know we did but I thought there may have been a solution that allowed it to not stick for a little longer. The hammer tip will do but if I could do something to lessen the time between hammer hits then that would be fab
Adsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 03:16   #4
konark
L-plater

Car(s): 2002 Desire 1.1 Posi Blue
konark is on a distinguished road

Are you sure the cog on the starter motor is 'stuck' -if it moves by hand it should move when the motor spins.- it may be that electricity is not getting through.

Turn headlights on and try to start car, do they dim? If yes , then it's new starter motor time.

If no the problem is with the wiring or the solenoid, on top of the starter motor which should make a click sound.

Check all earth leads from battery and to top of gearbox, but I think a new starter motor would solve your problems.
konark is offline   Reply With Quote