Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 6th August 2012, 17:24   #1
huricane
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): saxo Vtr
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
huricane is on a distinguished road
Default clayed the car(pictures)

just clayed the car but was wondering what best to polish on top either
autoglym extra gloss polish or
autoglym super resin polish

here the picture of my 1st time claying just got get some trim stuff

Last edited by huricane; 6th August 2012 at 19:04.
huricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 17:26   #2
Saxo_Ash

Saxo_Ash is on a distinguished road

I use srp, great stuff imo
Saxo_Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 17:27   #3
huricane
Established Member

i heard it is but that all i got
Old 6th August 2012, 17:27   #4
huricane
Established Member

duh sorry just clicked
Old 6th August 2012, 17:32   #5
Saxo_Ash

lol, You will want to give it a coat of wax after the srp aswell
Old 6th August 2012, 17:34   #6
huricane
Established Member

just read bottle and says use the other stuff to seal ?
Old 6th August 2012, 17:41   #7
Saxo_Ash

From what iv'e read you dont have to seal, a coat of polish then a coat of wax (i.e dodo juice) is ok. But if your a perfectionist you can seal after the polish.

I personally after washing the car-polish with AG SRP,then a coat of poorboys black hole,then a coat of dodo juice purple haze. I think iv'e got it right,im a newbie at all this detailing if anyone has any advice that would be great!
Old 6th August 2012, 17:49   #8
huricane
Established Member

me too i try what i have got see how it turns out but dnt like that you got wait 30/60 mins for the ag egp to work i dont like waiting lol
Old 7th August 2012, 00:51   #9
cyne
Frequent Poster

cyne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_Ash View Post
From what iv'e read you dont have to seal, a coat of polish then a coat of wax (i.e dodo juice) is ok. But if your a perfectionist you can seal after the polish.

I personally after washing the car-polish with AG SRP,then a coat of poorboys black hole,then a coat of dodo juice purple haze. I think iv'e got it right,im a newbie at all this detailing if anyone has any advice that would be great!
SRP is an all in one (AIO) meaning that, it cleans the paint preparing it for wax (so the wax has a better chance to bond), it contains light/fine abrasives that polish the paintwork removing any light scratches, it contains fillers that fill in any deeper scratches and then finally it seals your hard work for you.

Black hole essentially does the same, except it doesn't contain any form of sealant/protection. However it does glaze the paint adding depth and color. If anything black hole will remove the SRP fillers from the car.

They are not compatible with each other. You will be fine using black hole or SRP then using purple haze. You could seal after black hole if you wanted to get a dedicated sealant then wax on top.

If you are in a rush or just lazy and don't want to wax just use SRP. If you have the time use BH followed by purple haze. As BH has no protection built into it you must use a wax/sealant after otherwise the glaze will just run off when it rains.
cyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 09:12   #10
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

The chat in this thread is a load of bolloks. If you give advise please make sure it correct.
Few things to note - sealant is hydrophobic which means when on the car it repels water which will make it slide off the car and not bead, well not like wax does anyway. It is used as a last stage protector and can be walked away from as it gives the car a wet look finish.
Wax is Hydrophillic which attracts water which gives you beading.

Spr is a polish with fillers that doesn't have much if any cut. It is classed as a AIO but I wouldn't leave it as the filler will not last long.
Black hole is a glaze, you use it AFTER polishing to enhance the finish. It does contain fillers so it also helps hide marks the POLISHING hasn't corrected or filled.
Extra gloss protection is a SEALANT which means you should use it as a lsp - last stage protection. You can add wax on top if you want to add depth to the paint but it's not a must as the sealant will protect the paint.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:19   #11
cyne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz_vts View Post
The chat in this thread is a load of bolloks. If you give advise please make sure it correct.
Few things to note - sealant is hydrophobic which means when on the car it repels water which will make it slide off the car and not bead, well not like wax does anyway. It is used as a last stage protector and can be walked away from as it gives the car a wet look finish.
Wax is Hydrophillic which attracts water which gives you beading.

Spr is a polish with fillers that doesn't have much if any cut. It is classed as a AIO but I wouldn't leave it as the filler will not last long.
Black hole is a glaze, you use it AFTER polishing to enhance the finish. It does contain fillers so it also helps hide marks the POLISHING hasn't corrected or filled.
Extra gloss protection is a SEALANT which means you should use it as a lsp - last stage protection. You can add wax on top if you want to add depth to the paint but it's not a must as the sealant will protect the paint.
As I'm the only one who's posted advice please elaborate where I am wrong?
Old 7th August 2012, 22:15   #12
Saxo_Ash

So was i right then?

This is what im planning on doing in a few days once all my product have arrived-

Wash the car with AG shampoo and a wash mitt (2 bucket method)

dry the car using a super plush drying towel

clay the car with Bilt Hamber clay and water + a little bit of the AG shampoo for extra lube)

dry the car again

give it a coat of AG SRP

Then a coat of Poorboys Black Hole

Then a coat of Purple Haze?

Is that right? bit confused now after seeing 'cyne''s post as i thought SRP was just a polish and Black Hole was a sealant? so i would be sealing over the polish ready for the wax (purple haze)?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 7th August 2012, 22:45   #13
cyne
Frequent Poster

Yes you can do that, just I don't see the point in using BH after SRP other than to add depth to the paint which BH would do alone. SRP isn't exactly a polish despite its name it has a very fine cut if any in it, literally 1 out of 10. BH is not a sealant, it is a glaze. You will have to wax/seal or both (seal first) afterwards. Purple haze will be fine for this.

There is no need to dry the car before claying. Rinse after claying as well. Also no reason to clay every time you wash, about 2-4 times a year depending on use will be fine.

I've C+P this Q/A from DW.

Quote:
What is Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP)?
SRP is probably one of the most popular products from Autoglym.
It is a lightly abrasive polish with a lot of fillers and it also contains a light sealant.

What will the fillers do?
Fillers fill up swirls and light scratches for a certain amount of time. Since there is also a light sealant in SRP it means that it offers protection for maybe 1 or 2 months. The fillers will disolve after some time so each time you wash your car, more swirls will be visible. To keep that nice looking paint after when you just polished your car with SRP, you have to polish with SRP about 6 times a year.

How much correction does SRP offer?
The cuttingfactor from SRP between 0 to 10 would be 0,5 or 1. It isn't meant to offer real correction, although it gives a corrected look to your car when applied correctly.

How can you apply SRP?
SRP can be applied by hand, dual action polisher, random orbital polisher or rotary polisher.

How do you apply SRP by hand
You can apply SRP by hand using foam pads like Meguiar's Gold Class High Tech Applicator Pad, German Applicator, or any other foam applicator. Microfibre pads work too.
Apply a few Skittle sized blobs on your applicator and spread it on the paint. Work on areas which have the size of about half a door. Then work it really well untill it becomes a little hazy or clear. Then buff off with a microfibre towel.

How do you apply SRP by machine?
Use a light polishing or polishing pad. Apply a few Skittle sized blobs on your applicator and spread it on the paint. Work on areas which have the size of about half a door. Then work it really well untill it becomes a little hazy or clear. Then buff off with a microfibre towel.

Can you apply more layers of SRP?
Yes you can. The more layers you give your car, the more swirls that will be filled. Up to 5 layers would work really good.

Does SRP needs to cure?

It's not necessary, but you can let it cure.

Can you use a glaze after SRP?

Yes, you can use a glaze after SRP.

Can you top SRP with a sealant and/or wax?
Yes, one of both or both works great. A really good sealant to top SRP with is Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. A good wax after SRP is Autoglym High Definition Wax but any other wax will work fine, as long it won't contain cleaners since cleaners remove the fillers.

Can SRP leave scratches or marring?
No, but dirty applicators or too aggresive pads with the machine can.

How do you remove old SRP from the paint?
By polishing or claying the paint.

Can you use SRP on vinyl stickers?
Yes, you can. Don't apply it to harsh, but other than that it won't do damage.

Will SRP do a good job on faded colors?
SRP will do a great job on faded colors!

Can SRP be used on wheels?
SRP leaves a great finish on wheels, along to some protection against brake dust and road grime!

How to prevent dust with SRP?
Lightly spritz your pad with water or detailerspray. This will give the SRP a thinner coverage with less dust.
Also working the polish in for a few minutes until it's gone clear will result in very minimal residue to remove, and what there is won't come off 'dusty'.
And looking at Autoglyms site: http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/produ...6VQ=HD&Range=1

It doesn't even say it contains any cut.

Edit: Didn't read you where going to clean when you where getting the products, my bad I thought you meant you where gonna clay the car every time you clean it.

Last edited by cyne; 7th August 2012 at 22:50.
Old 8th August 2012, 00:17   #14
Tc24
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxos (sold), Civic
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Tc24 is on a distinguished road

Some pretty handy info regarding SRP in here, thanks to those who posted it. I use SRP or Ultra Deep Shine - much difference?
Tc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 00:57   #15
cyne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tc24 View Post
Some pretty handy info regarding SRP in here, thanks to those who posted it. I use SRP or Ultra Deep Shine - much difference?
Never used UDS, but I think it's supposed to provide the same finish as SRP and the same protection as EGP (Extra Gloss Protection) except in one bottle and therefore in one single application of product so you save time. It's also for darker colored cars.
Old 8th August 2012, 09:51   #16
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

Right glaze and polish are to different things so unless you've done a complete correction then its always handy to just go over it once to add that little bit extra glassy shine.

SRP and UDS are basically the same thing but UDS has more silicone in it to bring out the dark paint better after a polish.

You ALWAYS need to rewash your car after claying to remove all the residue and lube.

Doing things right early is the best way of prepping your paint, you do things wrong and theres no point doing it.

So by your reckoning cyne i wouldnt of got any benefit from using BH on this

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=430291
Old 8th August 2012, 12:28   #17
cyne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz_vts View Post

So by your reckoning cyne i wouldnt of got any benefit from using BH on this

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=430291
.... hes talking about applying SRP by hand. There is no benefit in using BH after SRP, they both do the same job. They fill imperfections. Autoglym use different polymers in their polishes in comparison to most companies. They use disc shaped polymers which are less abrasive. Most other companies use spherical shaped polymers which are more abrasive and will essentially remove the fillers from SRP if applied over the top. This means they are not compatible with each other as they compromise the finish of each other. If you've ever just machined black hole onto bare paint without a correction you will see it has a light/mild cut.

They are nearly identical products...

SRP contains fillers and abrasives. It has a degree of protection, hence 'resin'.

BH contains fillers and abrasives. It also glazes the paint. It has no protection and needs an LSP put over the top of it. (LSP meaning, last step product/protection, wax, sealant or both.)

You are talking about adding a glaze after a full correction detail. Which is perfectly fine as it will hide any imperfections you couldn't manage to get rid of and also darken (glaze) the paint.

Some of this may be wrong as autoglym change there formulas a lot iirc. And I haven't used any of their products in like 3 years. But from what I know about both products, they should be hindering each other if they are applied together. If you know anything about computers, think of it like having 2 anti viruses. In theory works great, in reality they both conflict with each other (probably a bad comparison but I can't think of anything else atm).
Old 8th August 2012, 18:27   #18
Saxo_Ash

Oh i thought BH was a sealant! Guess i was wrong So your saying BH and SRP is not compatible? Could i not even use BH after SRP for a deeper shine like you say?

Regarding a sealant- can you reccomend a few good ones?

Also regarding the clay-it is the first time i have clayed the car, i wont be doing it every time i wash the car