Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 9th April 2012, 14:35   #21
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore
Central Counties Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk1 JP4'd VTR, '16 Fabia Monte Carlo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jeffchiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker556 View Post
iirc someone on here fitted mild cams unmapped and a vtr inlet dyno'ed at 90bhp..

If you were to have a better cam, s1 inlet, mapped on a standard furio you could see nearly 100bhp.

But surely the best engine would be the 1.3 rallye 99hp out the box iirc, or the 1.4 xsi.
that was samueljonburgess that had that furio even he said it was a waste of money lol

the most powerful 8v engine is the 1.6 xsi and that has the same gearbox as the s2 rallye and it has although only up by around 5 bhp over the 1.4 xsi, offers superior torque

jeffchiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:03   #22
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

Im gonna go with fitting a 1.3 rallye engine or 1.4 engine. However, have you considered a metro gti? The 1400 16v k-series in those can push 160 bhp with mods cams and bodies! 120 bhp can be had with a mild fettle
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:19   #23
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth_R View Post
Et3j4 engine is a tu3 Block, 16v head and VVT on the inlet cam

Ta
fair enough ill take that, but till missing the point a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Im gonna go with fitting a 1.3 rallye engine or 1.4 engine. However, have you considered a metro gti? The 1400 16v k-series in those can push 160 bhp with mods cams and bodies! 120 bhp can be had with a mild fettle
you fitting one of those engines in your vtr?

Old 9th April 2012, 20:15   #24
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): '00 black Saxo VTR '00 Posi blue Furio
TomiX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The K-series is a great motor but it's still in a Metro. Not my favorite car. Nothing personal but I'll stick with the Saxo thanks.
TomiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 20:18   #25
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchiz View Post

you fitting one of those engines in your vtr?
Nah I'm keep my tu5j2 from a rallye, I dont need to conform to any regs
Old 9th April 2012, 20:22   #26
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth_R View Post
You can 100% get a 1.4 16v engine, might be fitted to a Peugeot but Gav Sophia bush was going to fit one into an ax. However if the head has to look the same then that's out

Rocker covers are interchangeable so you can make the head and block of any 8v TU engine look pretty much the same

All 8v exhaust manifolds should fit any of the 8v engines, any Saxo exhaust will fit regardless of engine, it's really just a matter of choosing the best head, inlet, ad fuel management option
Thanks. That clears that up in my head. I even have a spare VTR rocker cover in the garage!

My only other thought about the head for the moment is; will the rallye/XSi heads accept the Saxo direct coil pack or would they need the early set-up with plug leads which would give the game away?

If all the TU3s were the same bore and stroke, the differences in power are surely just down to variations in the top end and management so, I just need to swap head, inlet and ECU right? or is it not that simple?

I’m probably worrying over nowt but I don’t want to spend time and money doing something just to be told it’s not legal.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:41   #27
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiX View Post
Thanks. That clears that up in my head. I even have a spare VTR rocker cover in the garage!

My only other thought about the head for the moment is; will the rallye/XSi heads accept the Saxo direct coil pack or would they need the early set-up with plug leads which would give the game away?

If all the TU3s were the same bore and stroke, the differences in power are surely just down to variations in the top end and management so, I just need to swap head, inlet and ECU right? or is it not that simple?

I’m probably worrying over nowt but I don’t want to spend time and money doing something just to be told it’s not legal.
My saxo coilpack fits the rallye/xsi no problems - just missing one securing screw
Old 9th April 2012, 21:36   #28
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/sh...lly-sprint-car worth a read if you want to stay 1.4
Thanks Joe.
Very interesting thread. At first glance he looks to be in 'modified' rather than 'production' but, apart from stuff like plastic windows, much of what he's doing applies to my project too so will study with interest.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:39   #29
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
My saxo coilpack fits the rallye/xsi no problems - just missing one securing screw
Cheers Gandi
Looks like the rallye/XSi head is the way to go then.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:44   #30
Gareth_R
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes digressed a little seeing as cant go 16v lol oops
Old 10th April 2012, 13:21   #31
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Induction is free. I ran alpha throttle bodies and ecu on my old ax. the heads do all look a like. do you have to run standard bore and stroke? If not how about a 1.3 crank in a vtr? you hay have to use a offset grind on the crank to bring it down to 1.4 though. Or you could just use a 1.4 block and crank on the vtr head.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 19:34   #32
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracing View Post
Induction is free. I ran alpha throttle bodies and ecu on my old ax. the heads do all look a like. do you have to run standard bore and stroke? If not how about a 1.3 crank in a vtr? you hay have to use a offset grind on the crank to bring it down to 1.4 though. Or you could just use a 1.4 block and crank on the vtr head.
Sorry but I’m short of sleep and brain is struggling with this tonight!

Yes, induction and exhaust are free except for needing a cat, and no mention of keeping original bore and stroke. Just that the block and head should be “externally identifiable” as the type fitted to that car and remain within the class capacity limit. Suppose it’s mainly to stop things like a BDA in an XR2 Fiesta or the 16v conversion Jeff mentioned.

VTR bore with a TU3 stroke would give you 1491cc. Not sure what you mean by an offset grind.

If the VTR head is a straight swap onto the 1360 block wouldn’t that be a better bet? A lot less work, I guess it must flow more volume than the 1.3s and it would be more plentiful (cheaper) than the rallye/Xsi ones. There has to be a catch?!
Old 11th April 2012, 00:02   #33
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiX View Post
Sorry but I’m short of sleep and brain is struggling with this tonight!

Yes, induction and exhaust are free except for needing a cat, and no mention of keeping original bore and stroke. Just that the block and head should be “externally identifiable” as the type fitted to that car and remain within the class capacity limit. Suppose it’s mainly to stop things like a BDA in an XR2 Fiesta or the 16v conversion Jeff mentioned.

VTR bore with a TU3 stroke would give you 1491cc. Not sure what you mean by an offset grind.

If the VTR head is a straight swap onto the 1360 block wouldn’t that be a better bet? A lot less work, I guess it must flow more volume than the 1.3s and it would be more plentiful (cheaper) than the rallye/Xsi ones. There has to be a catch?!
The 1.3 rallye shared the same head as the later xsi and s2. You can pick up the s1/s2 engines quite cheaply but its the rarity of them coming up for sale, and I doubt you'd even find a 1.6 xsi engine with its domed pistons (not that you'd be using those but you get what I mean). About£150 would get you a full s2 engine to use for parts
Old 11th April 2012, 01:50   #34
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/sh...lly-sprint-car worth a read if you want to stay 1.4
That is SO awesome!
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 21:52   #35
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore

My housemate has a 1.6 xsi engine for sale pm stealth106

Old 11th April 2012, 22:28   #36
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
That is SO awesome!
It is an amazing build. Something to aspire to!
Old 11th April 2012, 22:39   #37
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've done your homework, if your serious about hillclimbing in the >1400cc proddy class you know the AX is the best option.

You'll never got a proddy class Saxo down to the weight of an AX.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:29   #38
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
My housemate has a 1.6 xsi engine for sale pm stealth106
Thanks for that Jeff but, I need to sort out exactly what I’m doing before I start buying major parts like engines. Hell, I don’t even have a car to put it in yet!

It’s the first hillclimb of the season at our local hill this weekend so I am going to have a chat with the scrutineers there and find out exactly what engine options they will allow. That will give me a lot better idea of what I can work with and then I can start shopping My kind of retail therapy.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:31   #39
TomiX
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
Sounds like you've done your homework, if your serious about hillclimbing in the >1400cc proddy class you know the AX is the best option.

You'll never got a proddy class Saxo down to the weight of an AX.
Yes Dave, you are 100% right that the AX would be the smart option but; as my friends will tell you, I rarely take the easy route!

This thread and other searches I’ve been doing on here tell me that with the right parts (and money of course!) I can get some decent power out of the TU3.

I can’t imagine that there are many good solid AX shells left where the rust moths haven’t eaten through the tissue paper they use to make them (I had a Visa GT of the same era) and I don’t have the facilities or welding skills to rebuild a shell.

Plus, I like my Saxos. I know it will be harder to make one competitive than it would an AX or 205 but that’s much of the fun of it for me. Yes, I enjoy driving fast but I get just as much, if not more satisfaction out of designing and making things and solving problems. More of a James May than a Jeremy Clarkson I suppose!
Old 12th April 2012, 21:39   #40
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): '04 VW Transporter.
MiniGibbo will become famous soon enoughMiniGibbo will become famous soon enough

I'd start by selling it for a 205/s1 tbh..
MiniGibbo is offline   Reply With Quote