Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:20   #1
NICK2506
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Black '03 Mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
NICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud of
Default "chipped"

My mate was telling me the other day how hes gunna get his Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDI chipped.

I told him that they did bugger all.

But he said it should add 20bhp and costs around £200.

Bearing in mind hes not done any other modifications to his car at all, will this chip do anything in terms of acceleration, top speed, bhp??

I dont think it will, but i dont really understand chips. This one hes talking about...what will it actually do?? like how does it work to get more power?

My progress thread 2003 Mk2 Black VTS
My old 2001 Mk2 VTR progress thread
NICK2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:21   #2
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Depends what chip hes onabout, if its an ebay chip then no lol.

But deisels see higher gains. My mates a4 got 50bhp from a remap on standard car.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:23   #3
dougieph2
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Honda CRX!
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
dougieph2 is on a distinguished road

my dad got some plug and play one.. cant remember what it is, but hes got a 3.0 v6 td vauxhall signum and after he got that thing it puts out roughly 225bhp, i think your right in saying diesels do gain a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvtr View Post
the technodaddy-o is pleased with you're offering ................
progress thread >> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...=1#post3972995
dougieph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:24   #4
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
My mates a4 got 50bhp from a remap on standard car.
I dont understand that with a remap, ok say its standard like what youve mentioned is it the ecu that thinks its got more bhp even though its standard i dont get it lol.
Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:27   #5
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Yes the VAG diesel engines respond very well to remaps. Depends on the "chip" though. Would be better looking at a remap than a chip as at least teh ECU can be flashed back to standard if necessary. No real need for a "chip"

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:27   #6
stu-n-shell
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): posi blue desire vt lookalike
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
stu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud ofstu-n-shell has much to be proud of

i think when they remap the ecu john they do something with the fueling and other things but im not entirly sure i dont realy understand it either. if you cang et those sort of gains from a standard remap i think i'll get mine done lol.

my progress thread http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134399
mod and small retrims pm for price
stu-n-shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:28   #7
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_1.1i View Post
I dont understand that with a remap, ok say its standard like what youve mentioned is it the ecu that thinks its got more bhp even though its standard i dont get it lol.
Nah it just alters the fuel thats injected in relation to the air and changes the ignition timing along with a few other things.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:29   #8
NICK2506
Saxperience Post Whore

NICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud ofNICK2506 has much to be proud of

So he could get 20bhp on remapping a completly standard engine?

Would it screw over the engine?

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:29   #9
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK2506 View Post
So he could get 20bhp on remapping a completly standard engine?

Would it screw over the engine?

probabaly more tbh

Depends what they do.

But usually just makes them work to better potential or more economically. Can reduce theyre life but only by a very small amount. All depends on what they do on the map.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:33   #10
goodall3518
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo VTw ?
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
goodall3518 is on a distinguished road

from what i know...

all cars are made to a general standard so they can be used efficiently, without sacrificing basic performance whether you live in basingstoke city centre or the french alps.
the standard ecu operates to the same guidelines, otherwise theyd have to make a different ecu for different areas i guess?

iirc, all the "chip" does is tell the ecu that the engine needs more fuel, injecting times are different, more air is taken in..timing altered etc. im not a mechanic so i dont know the full extent, but i imagine thats basically what the chips do.

alter the computers thinking in lamens terms. and yes, it knackers your engine i think, same with ragging any car.

ive heard of good gains with deisels though

Spec : Lowered 60mm - Scorpion 4" Backbox - Supersprint Race Section - Devil 4 2 1 Manifold - PiperCross X Induction -
goodall3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:33   #11
NICK2506
Saxperience Post Whore

God...didnt know that!

How much are you looking at to get that done though?

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:34   #12
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/...eSoftware.aspx

Totally different to a remap to a saxo.

If its the standard 140bhp diesel then its looking at the 180bhp after remap

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:35   #13
Scottp
Administrator

No it wont screw the engine

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:36   #14
NICK2506
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
http://www.revotechnik.com/products/...eSoftware.aspx

Totally different to a remap to a saxo.

If its the standard 140bhp diesel then its looking at the 180bhp after remap
How much does that cost?

Is this kinda right: to get gains from remapping a saxo you need to do mods to the engine like cams before you remap. But to get gains from a diesel, like a golf, you can just remap the standard engine?

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:38   #15
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

It would only screw trhe engine if the map was silly like injection 2 litres a second (exagerated) and if it gave the driver the ability to screw the engine such as raisin the rev limiter to 14k on a deisel engine lol.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:49   #16
Scottp
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK2506 View Post
How much does that cost?

Is this kinda right: to get gains from remapping a saxo you need to do mods to the engine like cams before you remap. But to get gains from a diesel, like a golf, you can just remap the standard engine?
Parameters from gains from remapping are to wide. Just so happens that VAG diesel engines respond really well whereas say the PSA range of diesels dont respond as well.

Saxo engine doesnt have much that can be changed within the ecu on a standard engine, you may see a little bit but nothing much as its N/A so no boost to increase as such.

Depends totally on the type of car, engine, N/A or boosted etc...

Old 2nd April 2009, 13:28   #17
Ste
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo
Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!

To chip an ecu is just swapping the original eeprom chip with one that has been re-programmed.

The origional chips have lock codes attached to them so they can't be played with very easily. But when an ecu is remapped - its basically re-prograaming the oem eeprom. So chipping and remapping can be the same thing if you write the same software to each chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:40   #18
gouldy87
Saxperience Forum Bum

gouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to beholdgouldy87 is a splendid one to behold

from mapping a car or chipping a car with a generic map if it is turboed you can get upto approx 40-50 bhp more power. they basically alter when the turbo kicks in and often utilises slightly more boost.

for instance with the vauxhall diesel engine a few companies sell tuning boxes for them.

they have a map on them and for instance-

150 bhp astra mk5 cdti 1.9+ d tuning box= 190 ish approxomately.

so it can be done. i would recomend getting a custom mapping session done as no 2 cars are the same. so your mate sounds about right as long as its not an ebay resistor that is teling your car the engine is getting boat loads of coold air. i hope this helps.
gouldy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:57   #19
werdna
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Ep3 Type R
werdna is on a distinguished road

Vag diesels respond very well indeed to remaps my mate has a pd130 fabia vrs which made 155bhp after a stage one map.

The vag 1.8t respons well to a remap also.

My Leon cupra which was 180bhp standard made 216bhp after just a p-torque remap and forge diverter valve.

Cupra r's are well known to achieve 250 - 260bhp from just a map.
werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:31   #20
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

VAG PD engines (which Im presuming his is) respond very well, Im presuming the Golfs are PD150s, a Custom Code remap, which costs in the region of £300, not £200, usually takes the engine to 185-190bhp. And the torque is pegged at 290lb/ft, as the standard clutch starts to slip at more than 300lb/ft, and the usual replacement is a Sachs clutch, at about £700, so the torque is pegged to save the customer so much extra money.

Sorry, been looking into it.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote