Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 10th May 2011, 22:18   #1
AJ-K
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 2x Audi TT's & 145bhp VTS (Current)
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
AJ-K is on a distinguished road
Default Brakes upgrade to stop my vtr ??

Right guys. I have been thinking about upgrading my brakes for quite awhile now. I'm waiting on insurance to get back to me to get something else however the main reason I want the saxo gone is the brakes scared me. And no I don't drive like w clueless twat but just when you have to emergency stop they lock and slide.

What's the best upgrade do to improve the brakes to work bait quicker without spending £££££ on 4pots brembros etc.

I have 16" wheels spaced by 20mil all round

All thanks in advance

No stupid spamming wank answers please

AJ's FASTCAR'd Magazined Featured Euro VTR. "January 2012 Issue 313"
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=298719
AJ-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 22:20   #2
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

If they are locking and sliding then it will still do that with bigger brakes.
You need to control weight transfer better - ie better suspension and fit better tyres with a superior friction co-efficient so theres better traction with the road surface.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 22:21   #3
DanielT92
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
DanielT92 is on a distinguished road

266mm from what I have read is the best brake upgrade to go for, in terms of compromise between performance and cost. Bigger setup, with less unsprung weight compared to the gti6 set up. Get them running with a good pad + disc combo, and from what I read they are really good. Plus they still fit under 14's if you ever wanted to go back to that route, hence my decision to get them.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:26   #4
AJ-K
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
If they are locking and sliding then it will still do that with bigger brakes.
You need to control weight transfer better - ie better suspension and fit better tyres with a superior friction co-efficient so theres better traction with the road surface.
O yeah I know lol I run very wide wheels etc which doesn't help but the brakes are crap in general I just want something to give me a better stoping distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielT92 View Post
266mm from what I have read is the best brake upgrade to go for, in terms of compromise between performance and cost. Bigger setup, with less unsprung weight compared to the gti6 set up. Get them running with a good pad + disc combo, and from what I read they are really good. Plus they still fit under 14's if you ever wanted to go back to that route, hence my decision to get them.
Ok mate what car do they normally run on ?? Cheers

Old 10th May 2011, 22:31   #5
DanielT92
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-K View Post
Ok mate what car do they normally run on ?? Cheers
Either lower spec 306's or berlingo vans.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:43   #6
DanielT92
Established Member

Post I found a while back off this thread, which was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
I asked this question ages ago and now had experience of both.

You probs know some of what il say but for poeple that dont..

266mm bosche calipers are the ones to get with better pads and wider discs. You can also get lucas and theyre perfectly fine too tbh.

283 GTI6 and GTI180 are both heavy setups, and belive me the GTI180 are stoooopidly heavy and therefore more rotational mass which isnt really worth the penalty for having the larger 283 setup over the 266.

266 are the better setup on the saxo with a great improvment over the standard without being too heavy.

Either setup id run with the 23mm MC. Im running GTI180s with standard (well was before it came off the road) and it was fine, took abit of getting used to...abit like when you brake on a bike and you keep moving because the brakes dont work lol. But when they do bite theyre hench!

Only advantage of the 283 setups in my mind is if you're going to be doing high speeds or regulary braking from a high speed.

My verdict would be the 266mm Bosche Calipers off the later models - Standard saxo brakes were a waste of time being fitted when they could have fitted 266mm as said before the standard saxo size brakes are false economics.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:44   #7
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
O yeah I know lol I run very wide wheels etc which doesn't help but the brakes are crap in general I just want something to give me a better stoping distance
well then you need to understand what the problem is. Its not your brakes. You are locking up which means your brakes are more capable than other parts of your car. People will mindlessly tell you to just buy larger discs and some different calipers but they will only change the effort at the pedal end. We are not having an issue with heat capacity either.

Kev
Old 10th May 2011, 22:50   #8
DanielT92
Established Member

Quote:
well then you need to understand what the problem is. Its not your brakes. You are locking up which means your brakes are more capable than other parts of your car. People will mindlessly tell you to just buy larger discs and some different calipers but they will only change the effort at the pedal end. We are not having an issue with heat capacity either.

Kev
Surely it is still worth the upgrade to a bigger caliper and disc? Out of interest, how would you counteract the problem of locking up that AJ-K is having? Would it just be a case of having better tyres and suspension set up like you posted in your previous post?
Old 10th May 2011, 23:04   #9
LSOfreak
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
LSOfreak has a spectacular aura aboutLSOfreak has a spectacular aura about

as said the brakes dont sound like the problem. Get some better tyres which have a better grip on the road. sliding out can be a number of things aswell. ie. tyre pressure, bias valve, weight distribution, suspension

and tbh if you had a 266mm setup, i doubt the insurers will even notice
Originally Posted by timmythechef View Post
Best mk1 on this site IMO.
LSOfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 23:33   #10
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Surely it is still worth the upgrade to a bigger caliper and disc? Out of interest, how would you counteract the problem of locking up that AJ-K is having? Would it just be a case of having better tyres and suspension set up like you posted in your previous post?
I was always told to stop a car fast the brakes should be the last thing to look at.
Get the car lighter, making it easier to slow its inertia, get the suspension sorted to stop weight transfer moving forward under braking and over loading the front tyres or under utilising the rear. Get the tyres sorted. What ultimately stops the car is the friction between the road and the tyre. A softer compound will have a higher friction level and stop the car quicker. Its why stopping distance will increase when it rains..
Big brakes are primarily about heat capacity. A larger disc can absorb more heat, keeping the pads at a more optimum temperature. Larger pads allow them to cool quicker. 4 pot calipers will give better pedal feel etc.
If you can get the friction co-efficient high enough (like with slicks) then the original brakes may not be able to provide enough pressure to lock the brakes. Thats really when a drastically different brake setup is needed.
Things like performance brake pads can help improve things slightly but we are talking more about the compounds providing that maximum effort before the brakes lock as traction is overcome.
Changing all the master cylinders, calipers and discs can alter how far you press your foot on the pedal etc, but its going to be a marginal gain whatever unless the heat capacity of the standard brake setup is overcome.

Hope this makes sense as its rather late to get my thoughts straight with all this.
Kev
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KamRacing For This Useful Post:
Old 11th May 2011, 07:51   #11
AJ-K
Established Member

I can totally understand what's being said but I'm not able to change the car that much. Im just after something to stop me bait quicker without having to jump on the pedal lol
Thinking bigger discs and calipers would do that for me but what setup should I go for and should I / need to upgrade the master cylinder??

Old 11th May 2011, 08:24   #12
SimbaVTR
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 2001 TwoTone VTR
SimbaVTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How much did you pick yours up for Daniel?
SimbaVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 08:51   #13
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
I can totally understand what's being said but I'm not able to change the car that much. Im just after something to stop me bait quicker without having to jump on the pedal lol
Thinking bigger discs and calipers would do that for me but what setup should I go for and should I / need to upgrade the master cylinder??
You've completely ignored what (IMO) one of the top 5 most knowledgeable members on the whole forum said to you...

If youre locking the brakes, it's not the brakes that are the problem. if the brakes didnt slow / lock then you'd have a problem...

tyres can make a MASSIVE difference with braking, in some cases, the distance between good and bad tyres will be over 10 meters from the same speed!

i'd assume you've not got ABS if theyre locking and sliding? if not, then install ABS (not sure if it's easy to do?!)

maybe adjust your driving style? slamming on will obviously cause the brakes to lock easily...

if youre that concerned about the actual brakes, just put some good pads, discs and fluid in there, that will give you more confidence in the brakes and the performance of them will improve

but ultimately, as kev/graham said; the brakes aren't the problem, and bigger brakes won't stop them locking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 10:04   #14
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

I think really he wants the justification to buy bigger brakes.
Your brakes are locking, meaning maximum braking force has been applied. You cannot increase it further without changing the chassis, tyres or the road surface
Old 11th May 2011, 10:05   #15
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post

i'd assume you've not got ABS if theyre locking and sliding? if not, then install ABS (not sure if it's easy to do?!)
ABS increases braking distance but gives you steering control so maybe not what he is looking for
Old 11th May 2011, 22:39   #16
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

Dunno about anyone else but the brakes on my vtr are more than capable... thats with standard vtr wheels and budget pads! Ive had them stinking and they still stopped, need a timg bit of heat to them for best effect but thats normal. If youre locking the wheels, then your tyres are shite. Ive had mine throwing me through the window without a sign of lockup!

If you had problems with them fading, then better compounds or a bigger setup is needed. As kamracing said, its all down to the tyres

Last edited by chinkostu; 11th May 2011 at 22:49.
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 22:50   #17
LSOfreak
Saxperience Addict

LSOfreak has a spectacular aura aboutLSOfreak has a spectacular aura about

same tbh, some decent pads discs and fluid on my standard 8v and theyve never failed on me
Originally Posted by timmythechef View Post
Best mk1 on this site IMO.
LSOfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 22:56   #18
Mathias
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Mathias will become famous soon enoughMathias will become famous soon enough

have a full brembo setup for sale??
Old 11th May 2011, 22:57   #19
DanielT92
Established Member

Quote:
I was always told to stop a car fast the brakes should be the last thing to look at.
Get the car lighter, making it easier to slow its inertia, get the suspension sorted to stop weight transfer moving forward under braking and over loading the front tyres or under utilising the rear. Get the tyres sorted. What ultimately stops the car is the friction between the road and the tyre. A softer compound will have a higher friction level and stop the car quicker. Its why stopping distance will increase when it rains..
Big brakes are primarily about heat capacity. A larger disc can absorb more heat, keeping the pads at a more optimum temperature. Larger pads allow them to cool quicker. 4 pot calipers will give better pedal feel etc.
If you can get the friction co-efficient high enough (like with slicks) then the original brakes may not be able to provide enough pressure to lock the brakes. Thats really when a drastically different brake setup is needed.
Things like performance brake pads can help improve things slightly but we are talking more about the compounds providing that maximum effort before the brakes lock as traction is overcome.
Changing all the master cylinders, calipers and discs can alter how far you press your foot on the pedal etc, but its going to be a marginal gain whatever unless the heat capacity of the standard brake setup is overcome.

Hope this makes sense as its rather late to get my thoughts straight with all this.
Kev
Interesting read, I always look forward to post's of knowledgeable members, like Ashley P said. Plus half the stuff I guess people just by pass thinking about problems of locking up, myself included. So it's always handy to read and learn
Old 11th May 2011, 22:59   #20
evovtr
L-plater

evovtr is on a distinguished road

ive got some evo 5 brembo calipers and discs no idea if they will fit a saxo but they will stop you dead ,but youll need 17 inch wheels as they wont fit otherwise
evovtr is offline   Reply With Quote