Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 16th January 2010, 18:11   #1
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold
Default XBox 360 Elite and Net (or lack of!)

Hi peoples,

Got the 360 running the other day via ethernet to my router in my room (acting as a gateway) which is connected by ethernet to the modem router downstairs.

Tried to get on live all day today and it cant establish a connection, not only to my router but also the net. I know if it cant find the router it wont get any internet capability, yet the strange thing is that my laptop and desktop both pick it up fine wirelessly!

In my room it is a Linksys WGA200G modem router connected by e/net cable to a Belkin 54g (Not a fan of Belkin). Now if i reset the router downstairs (the Belkin) and let it reboot all internet is working again fine as before, yet the Elite cant pick up a connection via e/net, nor with a w/less adaptor

I work with computers as it is but this has got me really stumped!!!

Any help??

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:52   #2
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Do you have mac filtering on either router or a static IP stored for the xbox on either router?

Failing that, do you have a static IP set on the xbox but the router is set to DHCP?
Old 16th January 2010, 18:58   #3
MarkyG
Established Member

MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Hey fella, was hoping you would leave a comment! lol

The belkin and Linksys are set to DHCP. Never had problems before having it set like this. As far as im aware MAC filtering is off on the main router, and everything disabled on the Linksys as its a gateway.

No static IP at all for the XBox on either router and XBox is set to auto.

Old 16th January 2010, 19:01   #4
davidandrews5343
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Subaru Impreza Newage WRX
davidandrews5343 will become famous soon enough

dhcp is ur problem, both routers are acting as dhcp servers, u will need to set your xbox to static and enter the ip of your router connected to the internet, or turn off the linksys dhcp server
Old 16th January 2010, 19:04   #5
MarkyG
Established Member

ok thanks fella will give it a try when im home; off up to the missus' tonight for a couple of days. will let you know the outcome.

Never had problems with it set like this before, also getting the same prob for my PS3, so will do it on that also.

Old 17th January 2010, 16:43   #6
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Agreed has to be the DHCP, would turn off the one on the linksys or set the ip on the xbox,

Surely you would then turn static ip address off and enter an ip to connect to the router/modem
Old 21st January 2010, 13:09   #7
MarkyG
Established Member

Right disabled the DHCP on the linksys router, now my xbox connects perfectly fine to the linksys. My bro's can sometimes find it with his wireless adaptor/ethernet but doesnt connect at all.

Yet everything in my room (laptop, desktop, iphone, ipod, ps3, xbox 360) all work fine with the linksys. But when my xbox doesnt connect to live the internet is still working on everything else!!

Old 21st January 2010, 13:48   #8
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Posi Blue 1.1
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

DHCP wouldn't be an issue as the Linksys would be assigning addresses from its own IP pool. Make sure the relevant ports are open for live on both routers, and if neebe setup port forwarding on the belkin for the live ports to the linksys router.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:39   #9
davidandrews5343
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
DHCP wouldn't be an issue as the Linksys would be assigning addresses from its own IP pool. Make sure the relevant ports are open for live on both routers, and if neebe setup port forwarding on the belkin for the live ports to the linksys router.
the dhcp on the linksys wont provide the correct gateway and dns server address to the xbox, i have had the exact same situation when a switch failed and i used a linksys wireless router instead
Old 21st January 2010, 14:53   #10
GoochyBoy
Established Member

Car(s): Black Saxo VTR MK2
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
GoochyBoy is on a distinguished road

so what your effectively doing is 'bridging' your connection to the 360 (or trying to). See i did this once when i stayed at my nans and i found that the connection was that poor i could barely play a game anyway so what it might be is that the bridge isnt letting enough internet through for the xbox to operate live....if that makes sense...its just an idea :/

SaxoFurioProgressThread
GoochyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:27   #11
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrews5343 View Post
the dhcp on the linksys wont provide the correct gateway and dns server address to the xbox, i have had the exact same situation when a switch failed and i used a linksys wireless router instead
that would be true, bridged networks can be quite a PITA at times. Scrap the DHCP on the linksys and let the Belkin handle all of that, failing that, set everything up on the XBOX manually ie IP, DNS etc...

I had to set mine up manually when i had the 360 downstairs on wireless as i run a mesh network here - 360's don't really like it when they see the same SSID multiple times...
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:35   #12
MarkyG
Established Member

Morning guys.

RIght basically, the Elite is now set up manually. IP is its own, gateway is the belkin, dns is my dns servers to get on the net. Just my Belkin wont let me add my xbox IP as a static one, i have to leave the router to handle all that. So an IP conflict could happen, but without the Belkin allowing me to do it i cant do a lot.

Since having it set up manually, ive had complete connection to the net with live without any problems. So thanks to you guys for that.

I do also think that the Linksys router may have been affected during the storm we had last september, problem being that 2 of the 4 ethernet ports dont do anything when anything is plugged into it! The storm knocked most of our electrics out, even being on anti surge plugs, lost TV sets, sky+HD and my dads previous router. So hopefully that is the main problem.

But for now it seems to work. Just trying to get the sodding Belkin to add my XBox IP to its static list!

Old 23rd January 2010, 04:02   #13
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum

To try and save conflicts you could make the xbox's IP something far in the IP range ie 192.168.1.250 - as normally most routers start at 100 and work up from there.
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:29   #14
MarkyG
Established Member

Got it set to spool from .2 to .50.

No conflicts as of yet, but might shove it up to around .47-ish.

But so far so good, no problems with connecting to live at all. Just have to reset my dads belkin router every couple of days as the connection to my linksys seems to disappear, although it will let me access the belkin on th enetwork and say there is internet connected, but nothing actually happens!

Old 23rd January 2010, 13:45   #15
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Ditch the belkin tbh, its for the best, get some decent netgear or linksys gear...
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:46   #16
MarkyG
Established Member

Would do, but my Dad is a hard man to convince, even if I am the IT tech of the family.

TOld him to go Linksys or netgear but he didnt listen.

Old 23rd January 2010, 13:54   #17
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum

just break it then, like me you'd find a way to do it. Powering current through to the ethernet ports is a good option
Old 23rd January 2010, 15:15   #18
MarkyG
Established Member

I'll just take a hammer to it, or drop it out the window. If he asks how it got smashed I'll just say the farmhouse fairies did it overnight lol

Old 23rd January 2010, 18:57   #19
davidandrews5343
Established Member

perform a firmware update and accidentally reset it during the update
Old 25th February 2010, 10:18   #20
MarkyG
Established Member

Swapped it for a LinkSYS Wireless N router, no more probs at all now