Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 14th January 2009, 11:39   #1
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Exclusive 1.4i
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
eddietse91 is on a distinguished road
Default JBL; GTO-527 Speakers good?

Hehllo guys, i'm looking at these speakers http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4885.html
Are these okay to buy to replace my original speakers? the ones i got now is some france ones thats 20RMS. but the JBL ones are 45W rms.. so i think it's better right? also,
I have read the forums about 6X9 speakers are Shat... so is the coaxial 3-way speakers are shat aswell? are 2 ways better or 3 way?
Cheerz guys!
eddietse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 13:40   #2
minxymears
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 99 Saxo VTR, 2002 VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
minxymears is a jewel in the roughminxymears is a jewel in the roughminxymears is a jewel in the rough

the 6x9 issue is a combination of shape, their location (i.e usually in the rear) and the fact that theyre a co-axial speaker. You get better sound staging with sound being projected from the front and where the speaker units are seperate (As with components)a 3 way co-axial will respond to a bigger range of frequencies.... but are still not idyllic for sound reproduction.... 3 way components on the other hand...
Old 14th January 2009, 14:07   #3
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by minxymears View Post
the 6x9 issue is a combination of shape, their location (i.e usually in the rear) and the fact that theyre a co-axial speaker. You get better sound staging with sound being projected from the front and where the speaker units are seperate (As with components)a 3 way co-axial will respond to a bigger range of frequencies.... but are still not idyllic for sound reproduction.... 3 way components on the other hand...
Ah right cool thanks, so.. basicly 6X9 are shat no matter what.. lol,
So the coaxial speakers... are the 2 way or 3 ways better? hehe
Thanks
Old 14th January 2009, 14:09   #4
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

doesnt matter what RMS you have if your powering it with the same amp.. remember, speakers dont give out watts. they only recieve them..

those speakers will replace your standard ones, however if you are willing to spend an extra 30 mins on installation id get a pair of components.

the jbl gto 506 are going for £35 on CAS. my interwebz is too slow to find them for you

yes 6x9s are crap in a system..

the main reason being that theyre in the rear of your car, and you want the sound as up front as possible

in this case, no 3 way coaxials are crap, if theyre up front

however any form of coaxial speaker will never be as good as a component set in the same price bracket.

3 way are better than 2way because there is 3 types of speaker to deliver freq ranges more precisely. (woofer, mid woofer and tweeter) however on a coaxial speaker it just sounds messy

3way comps ftw
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 14:43   #5
Chris_O
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RB25'd s14a + 2008 MWB Transit
Chris_O has a spectacular aura aboutChris_O has a spectacular aura aboutChris_O has a spectacular aura about

sorry for hijacking the thread thought it would be better than making a new one! if im not going to amp my front speakers would it be better to get coaxials?
Old 14th January 2009, 15:56   #6
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_furio View Post
sorry for hijacking the thread thought it would be better than making a new one! if im not going to amp my front speakers would it be better to get coaxials?
Ahh i'm in the same situation.. Ive ordered my amp. it's coming through the post like next week i hope .. but i don't think i'll power them through my amp? because how do i get the wire going from amp to them? also where does the wires go?.. i just want to change my front co-ax to the JBL ones.. and just power my sub with the amp.. will this be okay?
Old 14th January 2009, 15:58   #7
McBain
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vts
McBain will become famous soon enough

Those speakers will be fine and should sound better.

For a much better sounding system it's worth considering getting components and an amp, but it can quickly become costly.

The RMS figures for those speakers are the maximum power you should attept to drive the with. You can use a more powerfull amp but you'll need to watch the gains.
McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 16:02   #8
McBain
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietse91 View Post
Ahh i'm in the same situation.. Ive ordered my amp. it's coming through the post like next week i hope .. but i don't think i'll power them through my amp? because how do i get the wire going from amp to them? also where does the wires go?.. i just want to change my front co-ax to the JBL ones.. and just power my sub with the amp.. will this be okay?
You can do this if you want, if you have a multichannel amp you could power your speakers and sub, what amp you got coming?
Thing is you might find a sub running off an amp and speakers running off the headunit sounds a bit unbalanced, but you can always upgrade later.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:07   #9
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
You can do this if you want, if you have a multichannel amp you could power your speakers and sub, what amp you got coming?
Thing is you might find a sub running off an amp and speakers running off the headunit sounds a bit unbalanced, but you can always upgrade later.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5835.html

This one.. can i run the speakers off it? would it be better if i ran my speakers off my amp?? also, will it be hard to do some wirings?.. i'm a noob at these.... lol,
Old 14th January 2009, 16:11   #10
tuft
Established Member

Car(s): Volvo C30 R-Design
tuft is on a distinguished road

why doesnt it have the RMS outputs for the amp?
tuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 16:12   #11
McBain
Frequent Poster

That amp will run your speakers or sub but not both the same time, sorry.

I would run your sub for now, providing its impedance is 4 ohms, what sub you got?

You could add some components and an amp later.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:14   #12
McBain
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuft View Post
why doesnt it have the RMS outputs for the amp?
Because its not a particularly good amp tbh, those power figures are probably quite a bit abitious.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:48   #13
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Ah right cool i see, i just got a package with cars audio security, I can't afford to spend lots of money on these. just small upgrades with the ICE. the package i got is
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/6467.html
I know it's not very good, but hey... a sub is still better than no sub right?
Thanks,
Old 15th January 2009, 18:08   #14
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Ah right cool i see, i just got a package with cars audio security, I can't afford to spend lots of money on these. just small upgrades with the ICE. the package i got is
Thanks,
well actually.. id say having nothing is better than having that set up tbh..

for a similar price: (i know im usually the first to slate kenwood)

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3820.html

or if you can stretch:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/1233.html
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 15th January 2009, 21:05   #15
lewy
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTR 1998
lewy is on a distinguished road

i got JBL mid range speakers, they are proper good, proper loud. i got JBL tweeters too i highly recommend them!!!

but like ashleyp said, the speakers receive they dont power.
lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 21:58   #16
McBain
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Thanks,
Well if it's on the way you're stuck with it and it's a start, if you're after a bit of boom boom then I'd agree its better than nothing.
If your gonna spend any more money tho, ask for some advise on here first.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:14   #17
eddietse91
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
Well if it's on the way you're stuck with it and it's a start, if you're after a bit of boom boom then I'd agree its better than nothing.
If your gonna spend any more money tho, ask for some advise on here first.
Hehe, Going holiday next month so gotta save money.. my parents are like, "Get them after holiday etc.." but hey i know.. just can't wait lol, recieved my pack yesterday,.,. looking at it.. i can't seem to find a wire for my sub? like the one from the sub to the box, or the sub to the amp? i've posted a thread on there but no ones replied yet so.. lol,
Cheerz!
I might just buy the JBL 527 after my holiday then.. it'll be better than the stuff i got now..
Old 16th January 2009, 13:38   #18
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Hehe, Going holiday next month so gotta save money.. my parents are like, "Get them after holiday etc.." but hey i know.. just can't wait lol, recieved my pack yesterday,.,. looking at it.. i can't seem to find a wire for my sub? like the one from the sub to the box, or the sub to the amp? i've posted a thread on there but no ones replied yet so.. lol,
Cheerz!
I might just buy the JBL 527 after my holiday then.. it'll be better than the stuff i got now..
you didnt look at the links i showed you? for the same price you could have got good quality

not to be the grim reaper.. but legacy are one of the worst brands going.. id rather buy sony
Quote:
Old 16th January 2009, 15:16   #19
McBain
Frequent Poster

Well you've got a sub and amp now so when you get back from your hols and you want to get some more bits let us know.
If I where you I'd look at getting some decent comps up front next.