Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 2nd February 2015, 08:57   #1
Liam_
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Integra DC5R & VTS
iTrader Score: 18 (100%)
Liam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to behold
Default ABS/ ABS delete queries

Am I right in assuming that the 3 plug VTS' have EBD? If so, what happens in the case of a sensor failing and the ABS light coming on - does it default to some form of "safe" brake bias?

My ABS warning light has come on and I'm reluctant to replace the dead sensor as I ideally want rid of the ABS in the long term.

In terms of getting rid of the ABS, I've done some searching around and have seen people say it's simply a case of replacing the master cylinder with a 4 port variant.

Surely there's more to it than this as models with a 4 port master cylinder also have the bias valve on the rear beam? Is this required or is there some sort of proportioning built into the 4 port master cylinder?

Any input appreciated.
Liam_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:09   #2
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_ View Post
Am I right in assuming that the 3 plug VTS' have EBD? If so, what happens in the case of a sensor failing and the ABS light coming on - does it default to some form of "safe" brake bias?

My ABS warning light has come on and I'm reluctant to replace the dead sensor as I ideally want rid of the ABS in the long term.

In terms of getting rid of the ABS, I've done some searching around and have seen people say it's simply a case of replacing the master cylinder with a 4 port variant.

Surely there's more to it than this as models with a 4 port master cylinder also have the bias valve on the rear beam? Is this required or is there some sort of proportioning built into the 4 port master cylinder?

Any input appreciated.
You can basically dream up your own solution really, but you're on the right lines dude.

I'm running 2003 VTS servo, 4 port non-ABS master cylinder, then individual lines to each wheel currently. I'm running a 2003 VTS ABS car loom (interior + engine) and dials, and I've simply removed the ABS pump, all the wiring, removed the 2 port cylinder and replaced with a 4 port cylinder, and then binned the sensors etc.

It's OK to a point, and perfectly driveable, I run no rear bias adjuster at all currently. Under properly hard braking you can lock the rears, this winter / summer I'm going to be returning to a 2 port cylinder for front / rear, and then run a bias valve inside the car for brake balance to the rear, and plumb a hydro in for the lolz.

No dashboard warnings once all the ABS stuff was removed, it simply doesn't illuminate.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4MJT For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:29   #3
Liam_
Saxperience Post Whore

Liam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to beholdLiam_ is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for the input Matt.

In that case, I think I'll lob a 2 port 23mm master cylinder on. T one port off for the front lines, connect the second port to a bias valve then T the output of that for the rear lines?
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:54   #4
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_ View Post
Cheers for the input Matt.

In that case, I think I'll lob a 2 port 23mm master cylinder on. T one port off for the front lines, connect the second port to a bias valve then T the output of that for the rear lines?
Exactly what I'm doing, should work fine. I did a thread on it earlier last year which had a bit more detail and a few diagrams iirc.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:05   #5
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Phase 2 VTS , E61 M5
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
MuZiZZle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
Exactly what I'm doing, should work fine. I did a thread on it earlier last year which had a bit more detail and a few diagrams iirc.
Nobody reads your posts as you're a C unit, but does anyones ABS actually work?

I've not deleted mine and it just locks up, there's no ABSness
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:21   #6
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

dump all abs unit and repipe use 4pot cylinder ==but join them at master cylinder --then join rears together and fit bias at h/brake --so you can twiddle -set to lock fractionally at rear before front --but onyl very ,very slightly before front --fronts should be squirming a bit --in the dry -reset for wet
car should squat under braking --not dive at front
abs must be totally gone to pass mot

Last edited by axsaxoman; 3rd February 2015 at 16:23.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to axsaxoman For This Useful Post:
Old 4th February 2015, 11:29   #7
Liam_
Saxperience Post Whore

Anyone know whether a 2 port 23mm master cylinder from a 2001 Xsara VTS would fit? The lines seem to exit on the opposite side compared to a 406 V6 master cylinder, but shouldn't be an issue as I'm making up new lines anyway.
Old 6th February 2015, 10:13   #8
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

your abs cylinder is same size --so why change just link ports on one side
Old 9th February 2015, 14:10   #9
Liam_
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
your abs cylinder is same size --so why change just link ports on one side
I haven't checked the master cylinder myself, but I assumed the VTS ABS master cylinder was 22mm and those fitted to the larger engined 306/ 406s were 23.8mm?

Would be nice to reduce the pedal travel a bit whilst overhauling the brake setup as I seem to have a bit more travel since fitting 4pots.