Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Mobile Phones / Devices
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Old 2nd December 2010, 14:49   #1
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of
Default 12 and 18 month contracts

Is it me or do these seem to be slowly fading out?

My last three contract (15 months ago) was £30pm for 18 months and a free blackberry bold 9000 (best one at the time). For this is got 600 mins, unlimited texts and free internet and email

I am looking to upgrade and the first thing I noticed is that three no longer do 18 months, its all 24 months.

Then the price of the latest Blackberry Bold (97something) is £30pm for 500 mins, unlimited texts and free internet and email PLUS £49 for the phone on 24 months.

So basically, I now have to pay £49 extra for the handset, 6 months extra contract (6x30=£180) and I get 100 less minutes.

WTF is going on these days?

The Iphone 4 is actually a better deal i reckon than the Blackberry, £99 for the phone (its worth much more anyway) and £30pm for the same as the Blackberry

Most providers seem to do 24 months unless you want to pay a shit load more for the contract or the handset
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:03   #2
Saxo-SX
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Saxo-SX is on a distinguished road

Seems 12 months contracts have been phased out unless you go with Tesco.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:13   #3
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

mate, I walked into phones 4 u not long ago, Clearly stated I was in need of a PAY AS YOU GO phone. Woman sits me down, takes my details, im like getting techy, asking her what she needs this for, Only for her to tell me, " Oh you wanted a monthly contract didnt you. 24 month ? ...... I was swiftly out the shop and tearing the paper up. They sign you up for anything these days.

And i agree its not 12 or 18 no more. Stupid. Bloody 24 month contracts for a phone ! fuck that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:09   #4
logic_guy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central Counties Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Old: Two Tone VTR New: C2 VTS Code
logic_guy is on a distinguished road

I noticed this about 19 months ago when i wanted a new phone..... They were all 18 then. no 12's

I can only think its because the phone manufactures can't produce enough phones every 12 months to keep replacing them. So they have to make everyone go on a 24m contract while the invent new phones.
logic_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:18   #5
LSOfreak
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
LSOfreak has a spectacular aura aboutLSOfreak has a spectacular aura about

i wanted an 18 month contract from orange sadly had to take a 24 month
Originally Posted by timmythechef View Post
Best mk1 on this site IMO.
LSOfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:20   #6
Rach125
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 03 Desire, 1.1
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Rach125 is on a distinguished road

i have carphone warehouse ringing me up constantly trying to get me to buy a 24m contract over the phone, they never seem to mention 18m always 24, no thanks
Rach125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:25   #7
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

I switched to pay and go more than 5 years ago. After realizing that my big pile of invoices total was a few £££ thousands.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:44   #8
MAXSTARR
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo Forte 1.1 (Amazon Green)
MAXSTARR is on a distinguished road

pay as you go simplicity ftw.

tesco do a good 12 month contract on the iPhone 4, £150 (cash up front) first... but you get 800 minutes, 1gb free internet, unlimited texts (those were rough figures, cbf to fish out the deal again)
BUY MY CAR!!!!!!!! 1.1 Forte Yo
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=340489
MAXSTARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:47   #9
GolfJay
Saxperience Post Whore
Content ContributorEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 1985 E28 BMW 525E 2.7
GolfJay is on a distinguished road

It's because of the price of handsets these days. Phones are slowly going up in price and what they'd make from a £30 a month contract over 12 months wont cover the phone. It's slowly getting to the point where 18 months are not enough to pay for a decent handset
GolfJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:52   #10
daveg1
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
daveg1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxoJay88 View Post
It's because of the price of handsets these days. Phones are slowly going up in price and what they'd make from a £30 a month contract over 12 months wont cover the phone. It's slowly getting to the point where 18 months are not enough to pay for a decent handset
I think this is partial the case, but also they know that soo many people will buy out of a contract just to have the latest phone
daveg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:56   #11
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

I got a 12 month contract with my HTC HD2... but that's because I haggled for it! I can't see how you can legally be locked into a 2 year contract for a phone? And before anyone say's it's because the phones are more expensive.... they aren't, Not to make anyway. A top phone a few years back still cost around £400 to £450. And I know they only cost a fraction of that to make (I used to work for a repair site for O2)
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:56   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Handsets nope.

Its the fact they can tie you into a 24month payment plan. Its like having a shit interest rate morgage. Its more money long term as you cant leave them so quickly.

I was 'upgraded' by vodaphone without being told it was 24months, so need to kick off about that one.

Someone also mentioned phones 4 u. Usless cunts the lot of them.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:59   #13
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

Ryan, just ask to be put through to the disconnections department, It's will save you having to get angry at the dickheads on the first tier helpdesks! Disconnections are the ONLY people that will be able to give you what you want. tell them you only want a 12 month contract, you may have to pay a little more but it's worth it.
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:05   #14
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Ive been with them a few years now so was going to give them a polite hint id leave unless I got a new deal and an Iphone to sell... Only reason I want the upgrade is to sell the piece of crap to pay for most of the years line charge.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:06   #15
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Pretty much the responses I expected, seems I am not alone in my thinking

I mean whats next....are we talking 36 month contracts in a few years time?

I want to upgrade but dont wanna be tied in for 24 sodding months, its too long before you can upgrade. Three dont do 18 months so looks like I am going to have to jump ship but then it means porting my number a across.....fucking ballache just to get a new phone!
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:07   #16
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
Bound is on a distinguished road

Yeah, they really don't want to sell 12 month contracts anymore.

I'm happy with mine, £10 pm rolling contract with 3 - 100 any network minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited calls to other 3 numbers, 1gb data usage, can cancel at any time. Or for an extra fiver you can up your minutes to 300 or 500 or something.

Last edited by Bound; 2nd December 2010 at 17:16.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:11   #17
logic_guy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Old: Two Tone VTR New: C2 VTS Code
logic_guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxoJay88 View Post
No., I bet they can make, manufacture and ship a phone for less then £10 a handset. Its greed. Plus all this phone recycling and allot of components are recycled too, so less expenses for the manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanapone View Post
I got a 12 month contract with my HTC HD2... but that's because I haggled for it! I can't see how you can legally be locked into a 2 year contract for a phone? And before anyone say's it's because the phones are more expensive.... they aren't, Not to make anyway. A top phone a few years back still cost around £400 to £450. And I know they only cost a fraction of that to make (I used to work for a repair site for O2)
I see it that you want to be on there network, so you obey their rules?
logic_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:16   #18
lt-saxslo
Frequent Poster

Car(s): cli-y0!
lt-saxslo is on a distinguished road

im about halfway through a contract with an iphone and plan to get a rolling contract, i like my phone so dont need another anyway. full on contracts are a fucking rip off people only get them for a fancy phone
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:21   #19
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
Bound is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt-saxslo View Post
im about halfway through a contract with an iphone and plan to get a rolling contract, i like my phone so dont need another anyway. full on contracts are a fucking rip off people only get them for a fancy phone
Exactly, I made that mistake, and the thing is, 9 months or a year down the line you're bored of that phone and want a new one, but are tied down for another year paying an extortionate amount for an outdated phone and a crappy contract, that's how they get you.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:23   #20
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

I have an Iphone 3g (sold the blackberry and added cash to fund) which I paid £350 for
It works fine so I dont really need a new phone, I woul rather just have a 12 month contract. I need maybe 100 mins, unlimited texts and internet obviously