Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 25th July 2008, 21:08   #1
tobomoto
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): zx7r, 28 seater optare
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
tobomoto has a spectacular aura abouttobomoto has a spectacular aura about
Default replacing a heater matrix

ive noticed a few people on here have asked a few questions about how to replace a heater matrix. ive already done mine once, and i had to reconnect the pipes again as one came off. so i decided to do a guide of how to do it.
things you will need:- a decent tool kit including spanners, sockets, and torx bits;
a flat screwdrider (or knife);
coolant and water;
hoses/ matrix, depending what you want to change;
somone to help (but not necessary);
lots of patence.
allow a few hours as things will probably go wrong. also i didnt need to remove the steering wheel as ive already fitted a sparco one. ive done the guide in 2 stages so a mate can do 1 part at the same time.
Interior
ok here goes;-
firstly disconnect the battery and wait for the airbag to lose its charge, about 45 mins should be fine. then take your head unit out. pry off the 2 blank plugs on the centre console and undo the 2 torx screws. there are 2 more to undo a bit further down.
pull the heater control knobs off and it should look like this unclip the controls and unscrew the 2 torx screws on the heater controls. there is a torx screw underneath, just in front of the gearstick console. this is possibly the worst screw to get to.

next thing is to take the steering wheel off. ive got this wheel so it was a bit quicker for me. next thing is to undo the steering column surrounds. they are held on with 2 torx screws. then after that undo the boss. it is held on with a big torx screw. should look like this next undo the 4 torx screws on the control boxes. undo the 3 screws and slide the controls out a bit. the ring should lift out. undo the next 3 screws and the housing should come off. should look somthing like this. there is 4 screws holding the clock surround in. the top 2 are small torx bits. next are the clocks. there are 3 screws holding it in. unclip the 2 plugs on the clocks by pushing the bar across next is 2 bolts at the side of the car, under the dash pry the light position switch out with a screwdriver or knife and unplug it.

under bonnet
pop the bonnet and undo the nuts on the window wipers to get them out i closed the bonnet (not right down)bent the wiper arm and lift them off. then open the bonnet again. undo the 3 nuts, 1 on each end of the panel and 1 in the middle slide/lift the piece of plastic out of the way. be careful as it feels flimsy and brittle. next undo the 3 nuts and remove the wiper motor cover undo the 2 screws [IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa70/tobomoto/IMG_0302.jpg] at some time you need to undo the hoses off the engine. just dont do it while the engine has been running recently! unfortunately i didnt take any pics as i didnt need to undo them

back inside
lift the dash up and pull it towards you. it is a pig to do but after a bit of jiggery pokery it should come out. be careful when removing it as the connectors can get stuck. it should look somthing like this theres a screw underneath the heater box and another one in the engine bay take the 2 heater venter vents out and remove the heater box. it does take a bit of effort. you should be able to see this. pull the hoses through, unclip them and undo the screws holding the housing in place. be careful as there will still be coolant in the hoses and matrix.

replace everything and then refill the system and bleed it through. hope this helps.
tobomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 21:10   #2
MAS
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!

awesome guide mate i replaced mine ages ago was a pain in the arse but this should be a sticky mate pm a mod and u can have a pm too !
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 19:29   #3
Krys_23
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 10 (81%)
Krys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team memberKrys_23 is a well respected team member

Bumping this as its going to be useful for me on saturday
Old 8th January 2010, 21:26   #4
squeaky
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr, ax gti, sloda fabia vrs
squeaky is on a distinguished road

yh good guide m8 bored of doing them now though had to do loads
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:26   #5
Stevo_
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo mk 1 westcoast vtr, seat leon, 2.0 mk3 fiest
Stevo_ is on a distinguished road

alright guys, ive replaced my heater matrix, got tha dash back on and now the heaters arnt blowing any air? the cars not overheating or leaking any more but the fans arnt blowing any air through at all, you recon its not slotted on at the top or sumwere?
Stevo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:39   #6
MAS
Saxperience Forum Bum

iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!MAS is a great team player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo_ View Post
alright guys, ive replaced my heater matrix, got tha dash back on and now the heaters arnt blowing any air? the cars not overheating or leaking any more but the fans arnt blowing any air through at all, you recon its not slotted on at the top or sumwere?
Must be the blower Fan and motor mate.

Mas
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 23:06   #7
nabassu

nabassu is on a distinguished road

A little advice.
Buy a Citroen AX later model heater matrix, and you could PROBABLY avoid removing dashboard.
The matrix is identical, but the pipes are aluminium, and are separate form the core.
I've done the replace in 30 minutes on LHD car.
Butcher the old plastic matrix, and replace with new.
Again, i have an LHD saxo without airbag (so i could remove the glovebox to see and fell better)
It somehow you will not be able to do it easy way on RHD car, you can always remove the dash, but worth trying i think.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqMOKi8E55LIEod+BOjEO)uDC!~~60_35.JPG
nabassu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nabassu For This Useful Post:
Old 21st March 2016, 22:41   #8
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

So if the matrix is identical how are you supposed to remove the old one and replace with the new one without removing the dash?
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 22:59   #9
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
So if the matrix is identical how are you supposed to remove the old one and replace with the new one without removing the dash?
My thought's exactly.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:41   #10
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Didn't click on the thread yet that I was thinking dash out. Now the Polish dude is right, but it works only on LHD cars (and you have to butcher your way out of it). The sort of spacing problem we get over here such as being unable to fit the air conditioning.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manu For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:54   #11
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Good info Nabassu, and nice verify Manu
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:00   #12
Synister
Regular Poster

Car(s): 106 Rallye
Synister is on a distinguished road

Anyone know a quicker way to replace the heater motor apart from pulling the dash? Or at least any little tips?
I'm convinced with enough brute force and ignorance I can push it through and into the drivers footwell from the scuttle but I'm afraid getting the new one back in may be the issue.
Synister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:01   #13
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

removing the dash really isn't a big deal. Looks scary, takes about an extra 20 minutes to remove, and 15 to refit.
Old 24th March 2016, 08:57   #14
Synister
Regular Poster

Car(s): 106 Rallye
Synister is on a distinguished road

If you've done it before, aye. I'll probably make a complete hash of it, from what I remember there's a nut/bolt behind the inlet on the S1 Rallye's so I'd have to remove that and all the gubbins too.
Synister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 10:13   #15
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

is it worth fitting that ax heater matrix that was suggested?
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:04   #16
nabassu

Just buy AX version and try. i don't know, lower the steering column (on RHD)? only 2 bolts i think.
The matrix is the same size BUT(!!!) it has removable pipes.
If you can't do it without the dash removal (on RHD), just do the usual removeing proces from this manual.
Haw to remove old one? I've hacked mine with a electric saw. first ripped the pipes, than the matrix.
The pipes are attached to the matrix with a plate pressing on them, and with 2 screws.
The near screw is easy, but the rear is a pain in the ass. The 1/4 inch twisty extension for 1/4 inch phillips will come in handy. no way to tight the screw with classic phillips screwdriver.
30 minutes total, even with ass pain
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:06   #17
nabassu

Price will be the same i think. they both fit. you aren't risking anything.
Remember to buy AX matrix from later model. Valeo i think.
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:39   #18
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

I might very well attempt your method in the near future, i'll be sure to do a post on how it goes!
Old 25th September 2018, 15:24   #19
mhtsos

Car(s): saxo vts 1.6
mhtsos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabassu View Post
A little advice.
Buy a Citroen AX later model heater matrix, and you could PROBABLY avoid removing dashboard.
The matrix is identical, but the pipes are aluminium, and are separate form the core.
I've done the replace in 30 minutes on LHD car.
Butcher the old plastic matrix, and replace with new.
Again, i have an LHD saxo without airbag (so i could remove the glovebox to see and fell better)
It somehow you will not be able to do it easy way on RHD car, you can always remove the dash, but worth trying i think.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqMOKi8E55LIEod+BOjEO)uDC!~~60_35.JPG
how did you replace it as there is the a/c evaporator that in the rifght and doesnt give space to remove the matrix can u help?
mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 15:26   #20
nabassu

A/c?! In a rally car?!